社区应用 最新帖子 精华区 社区服务 会员列表 统计排行
主题 : 《英语初级口语》(文本+MP3)
级别: 论坛版主
显示用户信息 
30  发表于: 2004-05-17   
Lesson 30

Text A

The Bloody Thumb
  I met the old man at a cafe. I was a stranger in the town.
  "Did you hear the radio news yesterday?" he asked me.
  "I didn't," I said."Was there anything exciting?"
  "Exciting, no! It was important to me-and very, very sad.pack of hungry dogs killed and ate my best friend. "
  "Oh dear ! " I cried. "I am sorry. How did it happen?"

"He was working in his olive grove on the hilisides. The pack attacked him there. we'll never know all the facts , of curse. When he didn't return, I went to the grove and-"
  "You found the body?" I asked.
  The old fellow drank half his coffee. "The body?" he repeated."No, no. .I said they were hungry dogs, didn't I? The g bones were lying here and there in the grove. But I found this-" He pushed open a matchbox which he was holding in his

The box contained a man's thumb. It was lying on some hite, bloody material. There was a cut-an old cut-on the mmb nail.
  "See that cut," the man said. "I recognised it. This is my fiend's right thumb. The dogs ate the rest of him! "
  The old man began to cry then. He finished his coffee quick. ly and left the cafe. I drank mine and called the waiter.

"I'll pay the gentleman's bill," I said. "Please don't trou. ble him with it. His poor friend-how awful! You've heard the news?"
  The waiter laughed . "Yes. There's a hole in the bottom of the matchbox. He puts his own thumb through the hole. The 'blood' is red ink, I believe. Is the story worth a cup of coffee, sir?"

Text B                          

The Party

Claire Walton is working at home on a Sunday afternoor. The phone rings. It is an old friend. ClAiRE:   Hello.
MICK:   Hello, Claire. This is Mick.
CLAIRE:   Mick! Nice to hear from you again. How are you?
MtcK:   Fine, thanks. And you?
CLAIRE:   Oh , not so bad. I've been very busy , but I'm going
  away on holiday soon.
MICK:   Good. Listen. I'm phoning because I want to invite you to a party. At our new
  house. And. . .
CLAIRE:   New house? Really?
MIcK:   Yes. We've moved. That's why we're giving the pa ty. Can you come?
CLAIRE:   Well, that depends. When is it?
MIcK:   This Saturday evening.
CLAIRE:   Well. . . I'm going away on Sunday morning. Very ear ly. Will the party go on
  very late?
MICK:   Until two in the morning. But you don't have to si that long.Well? What about it?
CLAIRE:   All right. I'll come. But I'd like to bring a present Something for your new house.
  What would you like?
MICK:   Nothing. I mean, don't bring anything. It isn't necesary.
CLAIRE:   But I'd still like...
MICK:   Just bring yourself! I'm looking forward to seeing
  you again. It's been a long time !
CLAIRE:   Yes, it has. I'm looking forward to seeing you. too. and your new house. Uh. . .
  when does the party start?
MlcK:   Come any time after eight. All right? .
CLAIRE:   Yes. Oh. by the W..
MICK:   Bye! See you on Saturday evening.
CLAIRE:   Wait a moment , Mick. You haven't. . . Mick? Are you still there? You haven't
  given me your new address. Hello? Mick? Hello?

Question on Text B

7.Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and reteli the story to your partner.

There Are Some Things You Can't Get Away Without
  I have a confession to make, and the sooner it gets out in the open, the better I'll feel about. I don't drive a car.
  Americans are broad-minded people. they'll accept the fact that a person newspapercan be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even anewspaperman but if a man doesn't drive. therc is something wrong with him.

Through the years I've found it very embarrassing to admit it to anyand my best friends tend to view me with suspicion and contempt.
  But where I really run into. trouble is when I go into a stone and try to made a purchase with a check.
  It happend again last week when I went to a discount house at a large shopping center in maryland.Iwanted to buy a portable tyewriter,and the salesman was very helpful about showing me the different modeIs.

I decided on one, and then I said, "May I write out a personal check?"
  "Naturally, " he said kindly. "Do you have any identification?"
  "Of course," I said. I produced an American Express credit card, a Diner's Club credit card, a Bell Telephone credit card d i pass to the White House.
  The man inspected them all and then said,"Where's your driver's license?"
  "I don't. have one," I replied..
  "Did you lose it?"
  "No, I didn't lose it. I don't drive a car. "

He pushed a button under the cash register, and suddenly a floor manager came rushing over.
  The salesman had now become surly."Thes guy's trying to cash a checd, and he doesn't have a driver's license. Should I call the store detective?"
  "Wait a minute. I'll talk to him , " the manager said. "Did you lose your driver's license for some traffic offense?"

"No, I've never driven. I don't like to drive. "
  "Nobody likes to drive," the floor manager shouted. "That's no excuse. Why are you trying to cash a check if you don't have a driver's license?"

"I thought all the other identification was good enough," I explained. By this time the president of the store had arrived on the scene. Fortu nately, he recognized my name and okayed the check. He was very embarrassed by the treatment I had received and said, come on, I'll buy you a drink. "
  "I forgot to tell you," I said. "I don't drink either. "
  This was too much, even for him, and he pushed me toward the door.
  "Get out of here , " he said , "and don't come back ! "
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
31  发表于: 2004-05-20   
Lesson 31

Text A

A Difficult Customer
  Dolores works in a shop selling gramophone records. One afternoon a middle-aged woman came in, sat on a stool in front of the counter, and smiled at her brightly.
  "I want a record, dear," she began. "One I heard on the radios this morning. "

"What was the record called?" Dolores asked, without much hope. The woman shook her head.
  "I don't remember. I should know it if I. heard it , though. Perhaps if you play me a few records, I shall be able to pick it out. "
  She settled herself more comfortably on her stool.

"We have hundreds of records in stock, " Dolores pointed out. "It would take a very long time to play you even a little of each. Could you hum it to me?"
  The woman shook her head again. "I can't even sing the National Anthem in tune. We should only get into a complete muddle if I were to start humming. " She looked quite depressed, as if this reminder of her own lack of musical ability were the last straw. Then suddenly her face brightened.

"I've just remembered something," she said. "It comes from a play. There's a girl who speaks very badly, if you see what I mean. But after a time she learns to talk well.Some thing about --- what do you call it? Phonetics."
  This was enough for Dolores. "If you ask me, it's from 'My Fair Iady',?quot;" she said.
"That's it, dear. If you'd thought of it soonerr, we wouldn't have wasted so much time. I suppose you are new to the job."

TextB

That Hurts a Iot

Malc went to the Casualty Department of the hospital There he was examincd by the doctor. DOCTOR:   Right. Just take off your jacket and shirt. And lie down on that bed over there...
  That's right... Now, just hold up your right arm, will you?... Does this hurt?
MALC:   No.
DOCTOR:   And this?
MALC:   Yes. . . a bit. . . ouch !
DOCTOR:   And do you feel anything when I do this?
MALC:   Yes , that hurts quite a lot.
DOCTOR:   And you don't feel any 'pain anywhere else? In you legs , for example?
MALC:   NO, nothing.
DOCTOR:   Well , it's probably nothing serious. But I think we'd better have that shoulder
  X-rayed. We can't do the until the morning, though. So it'd be better if yo stayed
  in hospital for the night. . .

Question Text B

7. Read the following dialogue once. Underline the key words while reading and retell to your partner the dialogue in your own words.

At the Doctor's Doctor   Good morning. How are you?
Patient   I'm very worried , doctor
Doctor   Oh? What are you worried about?
Patient   I'm afraid that I'm very ill.
Doctor   I'm sorry to hear that. Why do you think so?
Patient   Because I feel tired all the time, even when I wake up in the morning. I find
  it very difficult to do any work. I have no appetite. My wife cooks   me
  deliciousmeals but I can only eat a little.
Doctor   How do you sleep?
Patient   Very badly, doctor.
Doctor   Do you find it difficult to get to sleep, or do you wake up early?
Patient   Both, doctor. I never get to sleep until two o'clock and I always wake up at
  five.
Doctor   Are you worricd about anything?
Patient   Well , yes , I am. 1'm worried about my work. I've just taken a new job. I earn
  a lot of money but it's difficult work. I'm always afraid of making a mistake.
Doctor   I see. please take off your shirt and lie down on the couch.
Patient   Yes, doctor.(The doctor examines the patient )
Doctor   Well, there's nothing very much wrong with you, I'm glad to say. You're working
  too hard and worrying too much.Do you take much exercise?
Patient   No, doctor. I never have enough time for exercise. I start work very early in
  the morning and finish late in the evening. Then I can't get to sleep. Can
  you give me some medicine to help me to sleep?
Doctor   I can , but I'm not going to. You don't need medicine. You need advice. Don't
  work so hard. Too much work is bad for you. Don't worry about your work.
  It's silly to worry. Take regular exercise.
Patient   But I may lose my job, doctor! It's hard to get a job like mine.
Doctor   Then get an easier one, even if you earn less money. Which would you rather
  have, health or wealth?
Patient   You're right, doctor. It's more important to be healthy than wealthy. I'll
  change my job. I'm grateful for your advice.
Doctor   Come and see me again in a month's time. I think you'll be a different man!
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
32  发表于: 2004-05-20   
Lesson 32

Text A

A Pocketful of Pigs
  Once there was no money.
  If people wanted to get something , they had to give something. This is the way it used to be.
  "I will give you my cow for your pig," a man would say. "I'll give you my bowl if you give me a shirt," another would say.
  "Here are seven oranges for one fish. "

"Will you give mc a chicken for a bag of corn?"
People had to trade things every day. They had to give a thing to ge.t a thing because there wasn't any money.
  But they had to work out a good trade . one that came out
even..

What could you get for two chickens? Were thrce bags of apples a good trade for two bags of grapes? Or onc bag of apples for a little butter? What was an even trade? It was hard to know.
  And it was too hard to carry around all the thinga for trading. People had to use too much time getting things they needed. So they thought of a new way to trade.

They thought of money.
  Money could "stand for" apples, or bowls, or pigs.
  And a pocketful of money was better than a pocketful of pigs.
  With money, it was not so hard to trade. Everyone could use money. The man who needed a.pig could buy it with money. The man who sold the pig could keep the moyey until he needed something. People could work for money, and people buy things with the money they got from work.

Text B

Let's Play Chess

Mr Wilson and Mr Dawson arc watching some men playing chess.

MR WILSON:   Let's play chess.
MR DAWSON:   I haven't played chess for a long time.
MR WILSON:   That's all right, I'm a beginner. I've just learnt how to play.
MR DAWSON:   Look, there's a chessboard. Those two men have already finished playing.
MR WILSON (after they have played for a few minutes): You're a very good player
MR DAWSON:   Not really, but once I won a prize.
MR WILsoN:   So did I. I won a prize last week but it was a prize for beginners.
MR DAWSON:   My prize was for the hest player in the country. Now let's start playing chess
  seriously.

7. Read the following dialogue once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the dialogue to your partner in your own words.

Man:   I'm not satisfied with it.
Saleswoman:   Why not? What's wrong with it?
Man:   Sometimes it goes fast. And sometimes it goes slow. And the alarm doesn't
  work, either.
Saleswoman:   Would you like another one?
Man:   No. Can I have my money back? Saleswoman; Hmm... have you got a receipt?
Man:   A receipt?
Saleswoman:   Yes. I must see your receipt. You can't have your money back without a
  receipt.
Man   Oh, I'm not certain, but I think I've lost it.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
33  发表于: 2004-05-20   
Lesson 33
                            Text A

We Are Not Deaf !

Jane and Lise have had lunch with Uncle David and Aunt Janet. The two old people are deaf , and the girls are tired be- cause they have had to shout. They both want to leave. LISE:   We'll have to leave soon, Aunt Janet.
ANET JANET:   Yes , of course you can have some tea , dear. I'll go and make some.
JANE:   Oh no, Lise. Stop her! You'd better say it louder.
LISE:   WE'LL HAVE TO LEAVE, AUNT JANET.
UNCLE DAVID:   You can't leave yet. I want to hear some more about Canada.
LISE:   But I must go back and look after Malcolm. Oh dear, thhear. I MUST GO BACK
  AND LOOK AFTER MALCOLM.
AUNT JANET:   Why, what's the matter with him?
LISE:   I TOLD YOU, AUNT JANET. HE ISN'T WELI..
AUNT JANET:   But I thought you said he was in the hotel. Where are you staying?
LISE:   We'rc camping. . . WE'RE CAMPING.
AUNT JANET:   In this weather? Well, I'm not surprised Malcolm isn't well. Perhaps I ought
  to come out and wee him.
LISE (firmly):   NO, THAT'S NOT A CJOOD IDEA, AUNTIE. HE'S ILL.
UNCLE DAVID:   What's the matter with him?
LISE:   He's got a cold.
JANE:   He's got a temperature.
LISE:   Oh, what's the use? HE'S GOT A COLD.
UNCLE DAvID:   All right , all right , we can hear. We're not deaf!

Text B

The Stolen Smells
  Many years ago in another country there lived a poor student.He had vcry little money. He lived in a very small room over a restaurant? His room was at the back of the building over the kitchen. The restaurant owner was a very mean man. Nobody liked him. But he was a good cook and many people came to his restaurant.

One day he was working quietly in his kitchen when he heard the poor student talking to his friend."You must be very unhappy, said his friend, `living in a poor room like this.
  "Oh no." said the student, "I am busy with my studies and I'm not interested in my room.
  "But you only cat plain rice - you don't have money for anything tasty "
  "Yes, it's true, I eat only plain rice. But the delicious smells that come from the kitchen make thc rice very tasty indeed. "

The restaurant owner was furious. This student was stealing the smells from his kit.chen. He decided to tatke him to court.
  Everybody in the court laughed whcn the me; n man accuset thc student of stealing hi.s smells'. But thc judge took him seriously."Every man should be able to complain to the court ." he said.
  When the restaurant owvner told the judgc everything. the judge said , "You are right. The student is guiltv. " The reataurant owner waa delighted, but the poor student was vcry much . afraid. What could he do? He had only a few coina in his pocket.

The judge asked the studcnt if he had any money. The student took 5 coins from his pockct and held them out to the judge in his right hand.
  "Let the coins fall into your left hand," said the judge.
The courtroom was very quiet. Everyone heard the tinkle of the coins as they fell into the student's left hand.
  "Well," said the judge to the restaurant owner, "you've heard his money. You've been well paid for your smells. "

7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading
and retell the story to your partner.

A Bad Student
  Peter's father wants to know how his son is getting along in school. One day he asks him;
  "Peter, how are you getting along in school? What seat do you have in the class? Does the teacher place you in seats according to your marks?"

"Yes, father. "
  "And what seat do you have?" "Number twenty-one. "
  "And how many students are there in your class?" "Twenty-one, father. "
  Several weeks pass. Peter, who is a bad student and studies very little, brings home the marks of his monthly examinations.

"How are you getting along in school now, Peter?" asks his father. "Your marks do not seem to be very good. "
  "I am getting along much better now, father. " "What is your place in the class now?"
  "Number twenty now. "
  "Good. Then you are one place ahead. "
  "No, father. One of the students left the class. His family moved to another town. "
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
34  发表于: 2004-05-20   
Lesson 34

Text A

Stage Fright
  Tom was sick with disappointment. The piano recital ha.d turned out well, all except for his solo. He couldn't understand how it could have happened.
  He had practised for weeks that seemed like months. He had given up sports until after the recital because he wanted to make his parents proud of him. He spent all his time with the pi

His teacher had said he was gifted. It was true that he accepted music as another language, another way to talk to people.
  His grandparents, aunt, and uncle all came to hear him play, and he was anxious to show them that he was the best in the whole class.

But, when he stood up to go to the piano, his knees felt weak. He looked into the audience and saw his family smiling back at him.
  His mouth went dry. His fingers began to tremble. The trembling became uncontrollable shaking as though he had caught a bad cold.

He sat down at the piano. He took a deep breath. He played the first five bars of his music , then realized with horror that he had forgotten thc rest. He started over. thinking that would help. It didn't.
  He stood up as if in slow motion and walked offf the st age. He was a failure. The demon stage fright had left a brilliant musical career in ruins.

Text B

I Shall Never Fly Again
  Tom Jackson and Charles Brown are talking about ttheir summer holidays. TOM:   Where are you going for your holidays , Charles ?
CHARLES:   To Australia. I'm going to visit my uncle in Brisbane for three weeks.
TOM:   Good gracious! You certainly are lucky. How are you going there?
CHARLES:   By air, of course. It takes over two weeks to go by sea.
TOM:   I once went to Singa pore by air. It was very exciting-but never agaim'.
CHARLES:   Why? Did you feel frightcned?
TOM:   For a short time. One of the engines caught fire.
CHARLES:   What did thc pilot do?
TOM:   He put it out and flew back to the airport. Then he asked the pcople at the
  airport where the emergency runway was.
CHARLES:   Did you land safely ?
TOM:   Yes, we did. But I shall never fly again.

7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.

It was a dark day when we got our report cards Thesky was full of gray clouds and it was sprinkling rain. I was over to Clyde's house and Gloria and Kitty were there. Sam probably would hade been there, too, only he had got a two-week job in the afternoons helping out at Freddie's. actually he only did it so that his mother would let him be on the track team again. Sam and his mother had this little system going He would do something
good-doing and she'd let him do something that he wanted to.

Clyde's report card was on the kitchen table and we all sat around it like it was some kind of a big important document. I had got a pretty good report card and had wanted to show it off but I knew it wasn't the time. Clyde pushed the card toward me and I read it. He had all satisfactory remarks on the side labeled Personal Traits and Behavior. He had also received B's in . music and art appreciation. But everything else was either a C or a D except mathematics. His mathematics mark was a big red F that had been circled. I don't know why they had to circle the F when it was the only red mark on the card. In the Teacher's Comments section someone had written that Clyde had "little ability to handle an academic program. "

"A little ability is better than none," I said. No one said anything so I figured it probably wasn't the right. time to try to cheer Clyde up.
  I knew all about his switching from a commercial program to an academic program, but I really hadn't thought he'd have any trouble.

"I saw the grade adviser today. He said I should switch back to the commercial program. " Clyde looked like he'd start crying any minute. His eyes were red and his voice was shaky. "He said that I had to take mathematics over and if I failed again or failed another required subject 1 couldn't graduate. The way it is now I'm going to have to finish up in the summer because I switched over. "
  "I think you can pass it if you really want to," Kitty said. Clyde's sister was so pretty I couldn't even look at her. If I did, I started feeling funny and couldn't talk right. Sometimes I daydreamed about marrying her.

Just then Clyde's mother came in and he gave a quick look at Kitty.
  "Hi, young ladies and young gentlemen. " Mrs. Jones was a kind of heavy woman but she was pretty, too. You could tell she was Kitty's mother if you looked close. She put her packagege down and started taking things out. "I heard you pcople talking whcas I first came in. By the way you hushed up I guess you don't want me to hear what you were talking about. I'll be out of your way in a minute, soon as I put the frozen foods in the refrigerator. "

"I got my report card today," Clyde said. His mother stopped taking
the food out and turned toward us. Clyde pushed the report card about two inches toward her. She really didn't even have to look at the card to know that it was bad. She could have told that just by looking at Clyde. But she picked it up and looked' at it a long time. First she looked at one side and then the other and then back at t.he first side again.

"What they say around the school?" she asked, still looking at the card. "They said I should drop the academic course and go back to the other one. " I could hardly hear Clyde , he spoke so low.
  "Well, what are you going to do, young man She looked u at Clyde and Clyde looked up at her and there were tears in his eyes and I almost started crying. I can't stand to see my friends cry. "What are you going to do, Mr. Jones?"

"I'm -I'm going to keep the academic course," Clyde said.
  "You think it's going to be any easier this time?" Mrs.Jones asked.
  "No. "
  "Things ain't always easy. Lord knows that things ain't always easy. " For a minute there was a faraway look in her eyes, but then her face turned into a big smile. "You're just like your father, boy. That man never would give up on anything he really wanted. Did I ever tell you the time he was trying to learn to play the trombone?"

"No. "Clyde still had tears in his eyes but he was smiling, too. Suddenly everybody was happy. It was like seeing a rainbow when it was still raining.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
35  发表于: 2004-05-20   
Lesson 35

Text A

A Proud Linguist
  Once upon a time there was an Austrian emperor who made it a rule to interview every one of his soldiers once a year. During the interviews he invariably asked three questions- "How old are'you?", "How long have you been in my army?" and "Are you satisfied with your pay and the food you get?" -in that order.

One year, the day before the imperial interviews, a Frenchman got himself enlisted in the Austrian army. Since he knew no German he was on tenterhooks. Now there was an old soldier in his unit who knew a little French and was anxious to help. In fact he knew just about enough French to be able to teach his young friend the shortest possible answers, in the proper order , to the imperial questions.

The day arrived with all the sound and colour that befitted it. The Emperor in all his splendour was seated on the throne, his entourage attending respectfully in. the background. The soldiers filed past him, each taking barely half a minute during which time the questions were asked and the answers reverently provided.

When the Frenchman's turn came, far from being nerous he was sure of himself, havi.ng recited the answers, in the proper order, he did not know how many times. The Emperor looked at him long and hard and suddenly took it into his head that he had seen the young man somewhere before. He began, a little out of the usual order, with the second question;

"How long have you been in my army ?"
  "Twenty-one years , " replied the Frenchman , not without some pride in his ability to learn a foreign language so quickly and so well.
  The monarch was surprised, for the young man did not look very much older than that , but he went on to ask:
  "Then how old are you?"
  "One day," came the answer.
  That was too much for the Emperor, who sat back and muttered .
  "Well , well. That beats me. It seems either you're mad or I am. "
  Positive that that was the last of the imperial questions, the proud linguist stepped forward and with a smile said:
  "Both, your majesty. "

Text B

What Am I Going to Do?

Mr Davidson is standing outside his house. He has forgotten to bring his key with him. Henry Black and John Field walk past and they say "Hello" to Mr Davidson. MR DAvIDSON:   Hello, boys. Can you help me? I've forgotten my key and I can't get in.
JOHN AND HENRY:   We'll try our best , Mr Davidson.
MR DAVIDSON:   You're both taller than me, aren't you?
JoHN:   Yes , I'm over five foot ten. I'm the tallest of the three of us.
HENRY:   But I'm almost as tall as John.
MR DAVIDSON:   Can you climb on John's shoulders and reach that window?
HENRY:   All right. (He climbs on John's shoulders. ) What shall I do now?
MR DAVIDSON:   Open the window, please, and climb through it into the house.
HENRY:   Oh dear , I can't move it . It's fastened in side.
MR DAVIDSON:   Can you break the window?
JoHN:   Look ! There's a policeman ! He's coming towards us.

Question on Text B

Adventure at Midnight
  Long ago there 1 ived two brothers who were very poor. They lived in tiny huts at opposite sides of their large wheat field. At the end of each summer, when harvest time came, the brothers divided the grain they had grown into two equal parts. Some of it they took to be milled into flour, from which they baked bread. The rest was sold for money, with which they bought shoes, clothing, and tools.
  Although they toiled from sunup to sundown, six days a week, they hardly had enough to eat. In spite of this, they were happy because of their great love for one another.

But one year, Sirnon, the younger brother. felt a great sadness.
His wife said, "Tell me what is making you so blue? You no longer sing while you work, and the twinkle is gone from your eye. "

"You are right , dear wife. I am worried about my older brother , Ruben. He is alone in the world, with neither wife nor children. Who will care for him when he gets old and can no longer work? If only he had some money to save for his old age! It isn't fair that we share the harvest equally. But he is proud and will not accept gifts from me. What shall I do?"
  "Would you take food from your own children? " She asked in astonishment. "There is nothing you can do, "'she said. "So forget it. "

Simon knew that his wife was right , but he was determined to help Ruben, come what might.
Meanwhile, Ruben was sitting under a tree, thinking deeply. When he noticed a bird on the way to its winter home, he said, that bird and I are fortunate because we are free. Neither of us has a wife and children always needing to be fed. But my poor brother, Simon, is burdened with a family.

"Itisn't fair that we share the harvest equally. Surely he deserves more than I! But he is very proud and will not accept gifts from me. What can I do? In several days we'll take our harvest to town. If I don't think of a plan soon, it will be too late. "
  That night. when the moon was high in the sky, Ruben went quietly to his barn where he filled a sack with wheat'?and put in on his shoulder. Then he crossed the empty field to his brother's hut and secretly placed his wheat with Simon's.
  "Ah." he said when he had finished, "this is better. Now my dear younger brother will have more than I. "

Ruben went happily back to his hut and slept soundly for the first time in wceks.
  An hour later, Simon woke up with a start. He had dreamed of a marvelous plan. He crept out of bed, got dressed, and went to his barn. Filling a sack with wheat., walking across the field to Ruben's hut, and placing it there took very little time. Before long, he was back in bed, pulling up the covers.
  "Now I can sleep peacefully," he thought, "because Ruben will have a little extra to save for his old age. "

The next morning Ruhen and Simon were amazed. How could this be? 'hheir piles were equal, yet each knew he had secretly given wheat to his brother. Something must have gone wrong.
  So that night Ruben waited until midnight, when he again took Simon some of his grain. "There! Now I am fully awake and I'm sure I put it on his pile. Tomorrow mine will be smaller and his larger, as it should be. "

A short time later, Simon did the same. He, too, was sure that all would be well this time.
  But when day dawned, each brother saw that his share was exactly half the harvest. Ruben and Simon were desperate. Tomorrow they were to go to town to sell their grain. Tonight was their last chance.

Midnight came again. But this time Ruben and Simon chose the same moment to carry out their mission of brotherly love. Each placed a sack of wheat on his shoulders and began to walk across the field. Halfway across they met.
  "Ruben! What are you doing out so late at night?" cried Simon in dismay. He tried to hide his sack.
  Startled, Ruben dropped his bundle. Then he saw Simon's sack and they both began to laugh. When they finished laughing, they hugged each other tightly. Their hearts were full of love for each other and they were content.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
36  发表于: 2004-05-20   
Lesson 36

Text A

Three Wishes
  Once upon a time , there lived a woodman and his wife. They were very poor, and they lived in a cottage on the edge of a forest. Every day, the woodman would set out early in the, morning to chop down trees. .

As the woodman was travelling through the forest one day, he saw a fine old oak tree. "That will make plenty of planks," he thought, as he felt the blade of his axe to make sure it was sharp. He was about to strike the tree with the axe , when he heard someone crying out: "Please don't hurt this tree. "

The woodman looked around him and saw a tiny fairy. "If you do not hurt this tree , " she said , "I will grant you and yotar wife three wishes. "
  "I won't hurt the tree," said the woodman kindly. Then the fairy vanished !
  That evening, the woodman walked slowly home. He was feeling very hungry and could not wait for his supper.

"Is my supper ready?" the woodman asked his wife.
  "Not for at least two hours, replied his wife. So the woodman sat in a chair by the fire.
  "I wish I had a big black sausage to eat right now," he said
  out loud. And suddenly, a delicious sausage appeared on the table before himt "Why has that black sausage suddenly appeared?" the woodman's wife asked.

So the woodman told his wife the story about the fairy. But his wife was very angry. "You have wasted the first of our wishes," she said crossly. "I wish that sausage were on your nose !"
  And with that, the sausage jumped up and stuck fast on the woodman's nose. His wife could not pull it off and nor could he, so the only thing to do was to w.ish it on the table again, which the woodman did.
What a waste of three wishes! The only thing the woodman had was a good supper of black sausage.

Text B

They Threatened Me With a Knife POLICE INSPECTOR:   Good evening , sir. I understand that you have been robbed.
MR LEE:   I certainly have.
P. L:   When did this happen?
MR LEE:   About two hours ago.
P. L:   Why didn't you report it before?
MR LEE:   I couldn't. I was bound and gagged.
P. L:   Please tell me exactly what happened
MR LEE:   I was sitting in this room watching television when someone knocked on the
  door. Without thinking, I opened it.
P. L:   That wasn't very wise , sir.
MR LEE:   I know. I was expecting my wife, you see, and thought it was her.
P.L:   You should never open a door without looking to see who it is.
MR LEE:   Yes , I know. I regret it very much.
P.L:   What happened?
MR LEE:   Two men pushed into the flat. One of them threatened me with a knife while the
  other bound and gagged me.
P.L:   Did you get a good look at them?
MR LEE:   I'm afraid not. They were both wearing stockings over their faces.
P.L:   What did they take?
MR LEE:   My wallet, with  $200 in it, my wristwatch. some of my wife's jewellery from
  our bedroom, and a silver photoframe.
P. L:   They don't seem to have done much damage to the flat.
MR LEE:   No. They had just begun to search when the dogs next door began to bark. They
  ran off then leaving me bound and gagged. It was some time before my wife
  returned and released me. I phoned the police at once.
P.L:   My men began searching the area as soon as we received your call. I can't promise you
  that we'll recover your property but we'll certainly do our best.

Question on Text B

7 . Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.

Now I know why birds sit on telephone lines. They listen.
  I am either nine or ten years old. At the orphanage they call me Miguel.
  When I want to feel improtant, I say, "Call me Don Miguel. " I used to act important all the time because 1 felt I wasn't.

Back then, no one liked me very much because I didn't like other peo
  But last year, I began to learn two important things: I was learning to see, not just look. And I was learning to listen, not just hear.
  I used to lie in the dark and make up relatives that I didn't have. My favorite relative was a nice old man who spoke Spanish, like me.

One day a man came to see me. He said he was my uncle. "I don't have an uncle," I said.
  "Now you do , " he said.
  He was an old man who liked children. He had a boy once who went to Korea. His daughter moved to the City. He said the City can be a difficult place in which to live. He taught me how to see and listen. I don't know if he is my uncle or not; neither did he, but he came to see me often. I guess if you act like an uncle all the time, you are one.

I was not a good student before my uncle came along. He took me walking in the fields. At one point he spread his arms and said. "It is all here. "
  "What?" I said.
  "Everything you need to know," he replied.

At first it appeared to be nothing more than just a few trees. I thought I was nowhere. Then he had me close n-.y eyes. First I heard the breeze in the grass, then in the trees. I also heard a faraway train and a barking dog. For a while I heard nothing. I was almost scared. He said to listen harder.
  I heard my heart beat.
  beause I used to be so sad, I had almost forgotten that I had a heart.

Once I asked him who he was.
  "An experiment , " he said.
  "What kind of an experiment?" I said.
  He grinned and said, "Nobody knows. Like you, there is no one in the world like me. So who is to say what I will be. "

One day in the field he showed me the way the breeze made the trees move. The rustling of the leaves made a sound that frightened a nearby bird. It flew away.
  We watched the bird drop an acorn.
  "The bird , " he said , "cari make a seed move. From that seed the oak can grow fifty feet tall. It will be a friend to those who want one. "

I always knew that trees were there, but I never knew they were real like me.
  One Sunday I was angry. When my uncle came , I said : "I don't have anything. I wish I had something. "
  "You have everything worth having," he said. "And I will give you even more. I will give some secrets of the Universe. Do you believe me?"
  "Yes," I said, wanting to believe him.

He gave me three small seeds.
  "Put each seed into a small box filled with dirt. Then care for them. Talk to them if you wish. They will grow with you. "
  Now they are in larger boxes. One of t.he plants has grown up to my knee. I sometimes wonder what else it is up to.

Another time we were walking in the field when we saw two birds on a telephone line. They seemed so peaceful. Then suddenly they flew away. My uncle just laughed.
  "See," he said."Someone said something they didn't like.& careful what you tell the birds."
One night I passed by the office of the orphanage. A man I don't iike very much was on the phone. He was angry and loud.

When he'left, I went into the office and picked up the phone. I heard the funniest sound.
  "Listen," I said. "Listen, liirds. Come on back, never mind what he says. We like you. "
  One day-Unele did not come: I waited and waited but he did not come. The man I don't like at the orphanage said Uncle was sick.

"May I go and see him?" I asked.
  "No," he said. "He may be contagious. "
  "May I call him?"
  "No, " he said. "I'll call him for you. "
  "Don't do that," I said.
  "Why not?" .
  "You'll make the birds fly away. "
  I sneaked into the office one night and called Uncle.
  "Are you all right?" I asked.
  "Yes, but I must go away. "
  "Why?"
  "To make room for something else. "
  "Will you come back?"
  "I will help you remember me, if you want me to. "
  "I do. . . . Ido. . . ."
  When I went to bed at night, I would try to imagine that he was there. He was harder and harder to see. One night, he was not there at all. There was only a grcen ficld.

I went back to our field. It was raining. T'he sky was dark, the way I was inside. I looked for Uricle everywhere. I called his name.
  I was angry for a while. I said some things out loud that I shouldn't have said. Two birds flew out of the trec.I made them get wet.
  On the way back, I saw something that was only an inch or two tall. It was where that hird dropped the acorn. I didn't tell anybody, but I knew.
  Someday Uncle will be fifty feet tall.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
37  发表于: 2004-05-20   
Lesson 37

Text A

Do You Know Who I Am?
  Mr Smith is well known in Washington because of his many social blunders. He alwavs likes to attend the various social functions because he wants to expand his circle of friend. Whenever he is invited , he goes , unless he is ill.

Recently he received an invitation to a fashionable banquet. Although he did not know the hostess, he accepted the invitation. He was secretly very pleased, because he felt that his reputation as a desirable guest was growing.
  When he arrived. at the banquet hall, he found that about one hundred people had been invited. He began to move around the hall. He spoke to other guests whether he knew them or not. He soon realized that he had never met any of the other people present, although they seemed to know each other.

At dinner, he was seated beside a very dignified woman. The woman tried to be friendly even though she had never met Mr Smith before. She spoke politely, whenever he spoke to her. Between the first and second course of the meal , she turned to Mr Smith and said, "Do you see that gray-haired man at the end of the table? The one with the glasses. "

"Ah, yes. Who is he?" asked Mr Smith.
  "He's the Secretary of the Interior!" she replied.
  Mr Smith said: "So that's the Secretary of the Interior! I'm afraid that I find very little to admire about him, although he is the Secretary. "
  The woman stiffened and did not reply. Smith continued in spite of her coldness. "I really can't see how he received his appointment, unless he is perhaps a relative of the President. "

"It hardly matters whether you like the Secretary of not," she said. "He was chosen because the President thought he was the man for the job If he does the job well, you should have no complairit. "
  "That's just it,"persisted Smith. "No one does the things he does , unless he is a complete fool ! "

"Sir! "said the woman in all her dignity. "Do you know who I am?"
  "No," replied Smith.
  "I am the Secretary's wife, "she said coldly. Mr Smith was flabbergasted, but he went on in spite of his embarrassment. "Madam, do you know who I am?"
  "No, I don't," the woman replied.
  "Thank goodness! "exclaimed Mr Smith, as he quickly left the table.

Text B

Hands Up!

This was the conversation in the expensive shop in London. A man and a woman walked in and . . . SALESMAN:   Can I help you?
WOMAN:   Yes , we're looking for a watch. It's for me.
SALESMAN:   I see. What price are you interested in?
MAN:   The price doesn't matter. But it must be a gold watch.
WOMAN:   And automatic. I must have an automatic watch !
SALESMAN:   Hmm... something like this, perhaps. It's one of our best watches. Made in
  Switzerland. Fully automatic. With a calendar and...
MAN:   It's nice .. . but haven't you got anything better?
SALESMAN:   Better? Better than this? Well , we have some Orly de luxe watches...
  probably the best watch in the world. But I'm afraid they're far more
  expensive than this one. They cost. . .
MAN:   Would you show us one, please?
WOMAAN:   Yes , could we see one of them . please?
SALESMAN:   They're in the managcr's office. You sce, we don't. . .
MAN:   Could you possibly get onc or two of them now?
SAI.EsMAN:   Er. . . yes , of course. Would you wait here for a moment. Please?
  (He goes to the manager'sd knocks on the door. )
MANAGEK:   Come in.
SALESMAN:   Mr Crawford, I have two customers who..
WOMAN:   All right ! Hands up ! Stand over there !
MANAGER/
SALEsMAN:   What in the world. . .
MAN:   Shut up! And open that safe ! Come on! Open it !
MANAGER:   I. . . I can't open it.
MAN:   What do you mean? You must open it.
MANAGER:   You told. me to. put my hands up. How can I open the safe with my hands up?

Question on Text B

7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.

Henry D. Penrose was a dog with a pedigree. He lived in a fine stone house with white marble steps and red velvet drapes on every window.
  His owner, Professor Randolph Penrose, was quite rich. Each morning Henry was driven to Obedience School in a long black limousine. "

Each afternoon he was fed two grilled lamb chops for lunch.
  Each evening he fell asleep in his fur-lined basket in front of the fire- place.
  On Saturdays he was groomed at Miss Fifi's Shop. And on Sundays he accompanied the professor to the park, where a classical orchestra played soothing music and the grass was cool and fragrant.

Professor Penrose would stroke Henry's shiny coat and say, "You have the life, Henry my boy!"
  And Henry certainly had to agree.
  Then one day it all changed. Just. Like. That. professor Penrose received a telegram offering him a chance to dig for dinosaur bones in Idaho. For one entire year.
  There was only one problem. The telegram stated quite firmly in the largest letters possible: NO PETS ALLOWED!

The cook, Mrs Washburn, agreed to take Henry to her home until the professor returned.
  Professor Penrose hated to send Henry to live on the other side of the city. There were no marble steps or red velvet drapes on Mrs Washburn's property.
  But Henry was buttoned into his red plaid coat and driven to the Washburn residence.
  Henry stepped out of the limousine. He was so shocked that his ears stuck out like two car doors.

Such an untidy home he had never seen. It was all he could do to maintain a sense of dignity.
  He was picking his way through the toys on the muddy front steps when a tumble of children spilled onto the porch, scooped him up, and before you could say"One-two"Henry was deposited in a sea of soap bubbles in the Washburn bathtub.
  Each time he tried to jump out, little hands pushed him back in. "Don't be too rough, children," said Mrs Washburn. "Henry isn't used to such fun. "

Dinner that evening was a big steamy ham bone. Bits of cabbage fell from it as one of the children tossed it from the pot to Henry. What! thought Henry. No plate?
  He wondered if he'd ever see a grilled lamb chop again.
  By bedtime, Henry was exhausted. His fur-lined basket had been left behind. Where would he sleep?

Just then two of the children carried him off to a room with three bunk beds.
  "Henry's sleeping with me ! " announced one child , pulling him to one bunk.
  "Oh no! Henry's sleeping with me!" protested another, yanking him toward another bunk.
  A third child elbowed his way in, and Henry flopped to the floor.

Before he could crawl under one of the beds, a pillow fight broke out.
  Thwack! A pillow smacked into Henry's face. He barked. Loud!
  Mrs Washburn came scurrying down the hallway. The children scattered into their beds.
  "Why, Henry!" scolded Mrs Washburn. "You never barked like that before! Quiet down, or the children will never get to sleep!"

On Sunday there was no park or classical orchestra. No cool and fragrant grass. Just the Washburn's backyard with its dandelion clumps and creaky swings and a fort made out of empty cardboard boxes.
  The children wrestled with Henry. They scratched his ears and tied an old red Christmas ribbon around his neck. They tried to make him chase the cat next door. Baby Washburn even kissed him-a big, sloppy, wet, strawberry-lollipop kiss , right on the nose.

Later, when Baby toppled over onto Henry's tail, they both cried: "
"Yeeeeooooooow !
  Mrs Washburn poked her head out of the back door. "Don't hurt Baby, Henry. "
  Days, weeks, months passed.
  Henry learned to put up with pillow fights and strawberry kisses. He learned to ignore the neighbour's cat and to wriggle Christmas ribbons off
his neck. He even learned to eat steamy ham bones.

And then one day everything changed. Just. Like. That.
  Professor Penrose returned. ,
  The long black limousine came to take Henry back to the professor's fine stone house.
  The Washburn children gathered on their front porch. Tears streamed down their cheeks. "Good-bye, Henry," they sniffled sadly. "Good-bye!"

That evening, after being groomed by Miss Fifi (who kept sighing over the tangles in his coat) and after being fed two plump, perfectly grilled lamb chops (in his own monogrammed dish), Henry climbed into his furlined basket in front of the fireplace.
  He yawned. He laid his head on his front paws. He closed his eyes.
  But he did not go to sleep.

Something was wrong. Everything was so quiet, so peaceful. Too quiet. Too peaceful.
  Henry climbed out of his basket. He nudged open the front door and headed down the road to the Washburn house. At first he walked properly, as he had been taught. Then he ran.
  When he arrived, he scratched at the door.

Mrs Washburn opened it. "Why, it's you, Henry. Welcome home!" Henry dashed up the stairs and into the children's bedroom. It was dark.
  Thwack! A pillow smacked into his face.
  Henry ducked under one of the beds. He smelled the faint scent of strawberry, and as he drifted off to sleep, he was thinking to himself; You have the life, Henry my boy. You have the life.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
38  发表于: 2004-05-20   
Lesson 38

Text A

Can't She Type?
  The well-known banker, T. J. Ellington, was at one time in his younger days the manager of a New York office. His secretary had been with him for many years, and knew his ways and habits. She always kept a glass of water on his desk, and knew that he disliked flowers in the office. He had a habit of interrupting a letter (when she was writing it down) with a few words on other subjects which had no connection with the letter; but she knew how to deal with that. She was never late , and was always willing to work beyond office hours when necessary. Therefore, when she left the office to get married, Ellington felt rather sorry for himself.

In those days good secretaries were hard to find. Ellington rang up the office in the city which had supplied him before; but the woman there said that she had no one suitable. He tried several other places, but the answer was always the same. There did not seem to be any secretaries unemployed. But it was absolutely necessary for him to find someone , and at last he rang up the first office again and urged the woman to find a girl who could at least type.

"Well," she said slowly, "there's Miss Steele. "
  "Good!" cried Ellington. "Send her along at once. I really
must have someone here immediately. "
  "I'm not sure about her," said the woman doubtfully. "Why? Can't she type? Is she too old?"
  "Oh, she's quite young. In fact she's only just left the Secretarial College. She types very well indeed. "
  "Well, then, what's the matter? Send her here at once. "
  "All right, if you say so. But she's a bit simple. "

Miss Steele arrived soon afterwards, and he explained her duties to her. At first she refused to accept the post; she said that she had had no experience and was not used to such work. But after a further conversation he managed to persuade her to come, at least for a week or two. She agreed, but her face had a doubtful expression on it as she went out.

On the following morning Miss Steele arrived at the office ready for work. Ellington had one letter to which he wished to reply immediately, and he rang the bell. Miss Steele came in quietly and sat down, pencil in hand and notebook on knee. Ellington told her to take a letter, and was glad to see that she could write as fast as he spoke. It was soon done and she went out to type it.
  "Well , " thought Ellington, "there doesn't seem to be much wrong with that girl."

A short time later she entered the office again and placed a letter, beautifuily typed on his desk. He looked at it with pleasure, but read it with surprise. It was as follows:"24th
July, 1976.
  "Mr James Vandenberg,
  "His address is on this letter. Here! Take it with yau."Dear Sir,

"I thank you for your letter of yesterday's date. I think the question of the electric motors needs further consideration, and as time is important, it will probably be best if we meet to discuss it. There's that cat outside the mindozv again. Please tell Miss Harper to remove it and keep it away. I've told her before about it. I should take it as a favour if you would lunch with me on Friday next. What's happened to my glass of water this morning? We may then be able to settle the matter finally. I don't like flozvers in the office. Please remove them. I usually lunch at one o'clock. Please let me know if that time will suit you. This letter is zmportant and I want you to type it carefully.
                                              "Yours faithfully,"

Text B

A Quiz on General Knowledge

Charles Kent and Tony Smith are playing a game. They are asking each other questions about general knowledge CHARLES:   When was America discovered, Tony?
TONY:   I'm not certain. Do you know?
CHARLES:   America was discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1492.
TONY:   In a way that's right. But the Vikings travelled there long before
  Columbus. And what about the Red Indians?
CHARLES:   All right. Ask me a question now.
TONY:   Who invented the electric light bulb?
CHARLES:   That's easy. It was invented by Edison.
TONY:   Correct. Now fora harder question. Who will be the first tnen on Mars?
CHARLES:   I can't answer that. But I think Mars will be visited by men before the
  end of this century.
TONY:   Ask me a question now.
CHARI.ES:   All right. What is the nearest planet to the sun?
TONY:   That's easy. It's .. er... Venus. NO. Pluto. No. Wait a minute. It's on
  the tip of my tongue. Oh dear, what is the nearest planet to the sun?

Question on Text B

Billy is fourteen years old and in the ninth grade. He had a part-time job which gets him up every morning at five o'clock. He is a newspaper boy.

Each morning, Billy leaves the house at 5:15 to go to the corner where the newspapers are. The newspapers were delivered to the corner by truck at midnight. He always takes a wagon to carry them.
  In the winter it is still dark when he gets up, but during the rest of the year it is light. Billy must deliver the newspapers to the houses of people on his route in all kinds of weather. He tries to put each paper on the porch where it will be protected from wind and rain or snow. His customers think he does a good job. Sometimes they give him tips.

Billy earns about  $ 70 per month, and he is saving some of the money to go to college. He spends the rest on records and clothes. Once a month, he has to collect money from his customers. Since many of them work during the day, Billy has to collect the money at night. Sometimes, when Billy is sick, his older brother has to deliver the newspapers. Once, Billy's father had to help.

Billy has seventy customers now, but he hopes to get more soon. Someday, if he gets many more customers, Billy might win a prize for being an outstanding newspaper boy. He wants to win a trip to Europe, but he will be happy if he wins a new bicycle.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
39  发表于: 2004-05-20   
Lesson 39

Text A

My Father's Son
  It's hard being an astronaut's son. I mean, everybody expects you to be special or perfect, and I'm just an average elevenyear-old kid. I'm an average student, and I'm average, too, when it comes to basketball, football, soccer, and baseball.
  I often wonder how my father ever had a son like me. I mean he's so special and so good at everything he does. In high school he was captain of the football team, class president, and editor of the school newspaper.

Well, to tell you the truth,I do have a little talent that nobody knows about. I write poems and stories and keep them in a red notebook in my bottom desk drawer.
  Nowadays I dream about being a famous writer, but I used to dream about doing something spectacular to impress my father and make him proud of me-something like rescuing a child from a burning building or chasing a robber away from an old lady.

I was daydreaming in school one morning ( which I do often). I was daydreaming about being some kind of hero, like discovering an instant cure for cancer or a shot for mental illness, when I heard my English teacher announce a Father's Day essay contest for the whole school.
  "I hope we have a winner right here in my English class,

she said. "The PTA has donated three cash prizes- one hundred dollars for first prize, fifty dollars for second, and twenty-five dollars for third prize. "
  After school I walked home, thinking about the essay I would write. My father is an astronaut, I would start out. No, I decided. I wouldn't do that. The whole country and maybe even the whole world saw my father as an astronaut , but that wasn't the way I saw him.

When Igot home, I kissed my mom quickly. Then I went upstairs to my room and sat down with a pen and a pad of paper. I started to think about what I would write.
  How did I see my father. Hmm.
  I saw him sitting with me in the dark23 when I was a little kid and had a nightmare.
  I saw him teaching me how to use a bat and how to throw a baseball.
  I remembered how he hugged me for hours when my dog Spotty was hit and killed by a car.

And I remembered how he surprised me with a new puppy at my eighth birthday party. When I started to cry, he told all the kids that I had a bad allergy. "David's allergy bothers him a lot this time of year," Dad said.
  And I remembered how he sat and tried to explain death to me when Grandpa Bob died.
  These were the things I was going to write about my dad. To me, he wasn't just a world-famous astronaut. He was my dad.

I wrote about all these memories and put them in my essay. I handed it in the next day and was surprised to find out that the winning essays would be read in the auditorium on Thursday night. A11 the parents and students were invited.
  My parents and I went to school Thursday night. One of our neighbours said, "I bet you'll win the contest, David. I bet you wrote what it's like to be the son of an astronaut, and you're the only one in town who could write about that. "

My dad looked at me, and I shrugged. I hadn't sliown him the essay, and now I almost hoped Lwouldn't win. I didn't want; to win just because my father was an astronaut.
When third prize was announced and it wasn't me, I was relieved and disappointed at the same time, Ellen Gordon won third prize, and she read her essay. Ellen. is adopted, and she wrote a.bout her "better than real" father. When she got to the end,I heard people in the audience sniffing and blowing their noses. My mother sniffed, and my father cleared his throat.

The second-prize winner was announced next. It was me.
  I went up to the stage, my knees shaking. I read my essay and wondered if my voice was shaking, too. It was scary standing up in front of all those people. I called my essay "My Father's Son. " I watched my parents as I read. When I finished reading, the audience applauded. I saw my father blowing his nose. Tears were running down my mother's face. I went back
to my seat.

"I see you have an allergy , too , Dad , " I tried to joke.
Dad nodded, cleared his throat, and put his hand on my shoulder. "Son, this is the proudest moment of my life," he said.
  It was the proudest moment of my life, too. Maybe I'll never be a great hero or win a Nobel Prize, but just then, it was enough just to be my father's son.

Text B

The Wrong Sex or the Wrong Clothes?

Sylvia and Larry both work for a big company in London. They work in different departments. They are having lunch in the canteen. SYLVIA:   We've got a new manager in our department.
LARRY:   Oh? You hoped to get that job, didn't you?
SYLVIA:   Yes, I did.
LARRY:   I'm sorry. That's too bad. Who is it? Who got the job, I mean?
SYLVIA:   Someone called Drexler. Carl Drexler. He's been with the company only
  two years. I've been here longer. And I know more about the job , too
LARRY:   Hmm. Why do you think they gave it to him and not to you?
SYLVIA:   Because I'm the wrong sex , of course !
LARRY:   You mean you didn't get the job because you're a woman?
SYLVIA:   Yes, that was probably it! It isn't fair.
LARRY:   What sort of clothes does he wear?
SYLVTA:   A dark suit. White shirt. A tie. Why?
LARRY:   Perhaps that had something to do with it.
SYLVIA:   You mean you think I didn't get the job because I come to work in jeans
  and a sweater?
LARRY:   It's possible, isn't it?
SYLVIA:   Do you really think I should wear different clothes?
LARRY:   Well. . . perhaps you should think about it.
SYLVTA:   Why should I wear a skirt? Or a dress?
LARRY:   I'm not saying you should. I'm saying you should think about it. That's all!
SYLVIA:   Why should I do that? I'm good at my job! That's the only important thing !
LARRY:   Hmm. Perhaps it should be the only important thing. But it isn't. Not in
  this company.

Questions on Text B

The Clever Servant
  A long time ago, there was a rich old man who loved wine and
food above everything else. And he had a servant who loved drinking and eating as much as his master did.
  Each time the rich old man went out, he had to hide his wine and food away. Bot each time the servant found them and he helped himself to the bottles of wine and all the nice food. Of course, the rich old man knew who did it and was displeased. But he could do neth:ag about it, because he had never caught his servant drinking his wine or eating his food.

One day the old man was invited to dinner at the home of one of his friends. He did not know what to de with the wine, meat and chicken he had just bought. Certainly he could not leave them to the servant. Then he had an idea. He called up the servant and said to him:

"I'll be away for the whole evening, and I'll leave you to look after the house. In the cupboard there are two bottles filled with poison. Be careful about it. You'll be killed if you take even a drop of it. There is also some meat and chicken in the cupboard. Take care of them. " With these words the rich old man left home.

As soon as the master turned his back, the servant opened the cupboard and began to enjoy all the nice things in it. He emptied the two bottles and ate up the meat, the chicken and everything else he found in the cupboard. He was satisfied and soon fell asleep.At mid-night
the rich old man returned home. He looked into the cupboard and, to his great surprise, all his wine and food were gone. He was mad with anger and called the servant up.

"Oh, Master," the servant began before the old man could open his mouth. "While you were away, the neighbour's black cat stole into our kitchen and ate up everything in the cupboard. I knew you would be very angry with me. I was so afraid that I drank the two bottles of poison to kill myself. " There were even tears in the servant's eyes. "Oh, Master," he continued. "Please don't get angry with a dying man. I'll soon be dead. "
  The rich old man, of course, did not believe a word of his story. But again, he muld do nothing about it.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
描述
快速回复

按"Ctrl+Enter"直接提交