社区应用 最新帖子 精华区 社区服务 会员列表 统计排行
主题 : 《英语初级口语》(文本+MP3)
级别: 论坛版主
显示用户信息 
20  发表于: 2004-05-16   
Lesson 20

Text A

Honesty
  A man went to an insurance office to have his life insured.
The manager of the office asked him how old his parents .were when they died.
  "Mother had a bad heart and died at the age of thirty. Father died of tuberculosis when he was thirty-five. "
  "I am very sorry," said the manager, "We cannot insure your life as your parents were not healthy. "
  As the man was leaving the office, depressed, he met a elerk who had overheard the conversation.
  "You must not be so frank and tell the truth," said the clerk, "no office will insure you if you speak like that. Use your imagination a little. "
  The man went to another office and was shown into the manager's room.
  "Well, young man, how old were your parents when they died?"
  "Mother was ninety-three, and she died from a fall off her bicycle. Father was ninety-eight and he died while he was playing football. "

Text B

Can You Deliver It?

MAN:   Can you deliver9 it, please'?
SALESwOMAN:   It depends where you live , sir.
MAN:   In Camden Town.
SALESwOMAN:   Yes, we deliver there. But it. costs two pounds fifty.
MAN:   All right. But I'm only in on Saturday.
SALESwOMAN:   Morning or afternoon?
MAN:   Afternoon, please, if that's possible.

Questions on Text B

7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.

They Are Here in My Hand !
  Mrs Williams loved flowers and had a small but beautiful garden. In the summer, her roses were always the best in her street. One summer afternoon her bell rang, and when she went to the front door, she saw a small boy outside. He was about seven years old,,and was holding a big bunch of beautiful roses in his hand.
  "I am selling roses", he said. "Do you want any? They are quite cheap. Five pence for a big bunch. They are fresh. I picked them this afternoon. "
  "My boy,"Mrs Williams answered, "I pick roses whenever I want, and don't pay anything for them, because I have lots in my garden. "
  "Oh , no , you haven't , " said the small boy. "There aren't any roses in your garden - because t.hey are here in my hand!"
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
21  发表于: 2004-05-17   
Lesson 21

Text A

Bill Is Very Rude

Bill is in Victor's house and he is sitting down. He is leaning back and he has put his feet on the table. Bill is very rude.   VICTOR:
  Would you mind° taking your feet off the table, Bill?

BILL:
  Not at all. But I was very comfortable.

VICTOR:
  Do you put your feet on your own table?

BILL:
  No, I never do that.

VICTOR:
  Why not?

BILL:
  I don't want to mark my table, of course.

VICTOR:
  Well, will you please avoid marking mine?

BILL:
  I'm sorry. I thought you were going to buy a new table soon.

VICTOR:
  I hope to buy a new table, but I have to sell my old one first.

BILL:
  Would you please tell me how much you want for it?

VICTOR:
  How much do you think it's worth?

BILL:
  Not much. It's badly marked. I'll give you ten dollars for it.

Text B

The Phone Rang Again
  Mrs Moore had worked hard all day at the office, and she was looking forward to a relaxing evening at home.
  Just as she walked in the door, the telephone began to ring. She dashed to answer the phone and found that the caller was a man trying to sell her some light bulbs. She refused and hung up the phone.
  She smelled dinner cooking and went in to see how her children were getting along with the meal. Everything was ready except setting the table, so Mrs Moore went upstairs to change clothes.
  Just as she reached the head of the stairs, the telephone rang again. When Mrs Moore answered it, she found out that her husband wouldn't be home for dinner.
  After she changed clothes , she went back downstairs to eat. During dinner, the phone rang twice. Her sister called to ask about the familyzs, and a group wanted her to do some volunteer work. She and the children finished dinner and began cleaning up the kitchen. The phone rang again. The neighbours wanted to borrow the garden hose.°.
  After the kitchen was cleaned . Mrs Moore sat down with a sigh to read while the children did their homework. The phone rang again.
  Without even answering it, Mrs Moore called to her children, "Get ready, we're all going to a movie. "
  "Great! But why?"
  "It seems that's the only way we can get away from this telephone. "

Questions on Text B

7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.

Billy's motorcycle shone in the afternoon sun and caught Billy's reflection in the fender. He had worked all summer to save enough money for this ?bike and it was his -all his. He strapped on his helmet, slid the new black leather gloves over his hands, then threw one leg over the vinyl seat. There was a roar of the engine as he kicked it into motion, and suddenly there he was, speeding down the street on his motorcycle.
  Billy's little brother, Tommy, watched solemnly from the front door. Tommy was only eight years old, but eight was old enough, he thought, for someone to have his very own motorcycle. It didn't seem fair that Billy had a bike and Tommy didn't. So Tommy sat on the front porch, ate his candy bar, and brooded over the matter as he watched Billy slide around the corner. All he wanted was just one ride.
  When Billy discovered his bike missing the next morning, there was a widespread investigation by the police, his parents, and the neighbours. No one had seen the bike since the day before. As Billy walked off down the sidewalk, heading for the schoo( bus, his attention was attracted by something black glaring at him from under a hedge. He approached slowly, then suddenly broke into a run. There under the hedge was his motorcycle with one badly dented fender.
  He reached for the handlebars to pull it from under the bushes. When he retracted his hand, there was a familiar sticky substance on his fingers. Tasting the brown sweetness, Billy smiled secretly to himself. He knew he had discovered who had taken his motorcycle for a spin.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
22  发表于: 2004-05-17   
Lesson 22

Text A

If I Don't Do Anything Else
  Yesterday morning Paul said to himself. "I've got to write that economics paper today. If I don't do anything else, I've got to write that paper. "
  He sat down at his desk and put a sheet. of paper into his typewriter. He looked out of the window, ate a piece of candy, got up to get a drink of water, brushed his teeth, and sat down at his desk again.

"I haven't written my family since Thanksgiving," he said to himself. "I'll write them a letter first. "
  Paul wrote his family a long letter. "My typewriter needs a new ribbon. I've got to change this ribbon before I write my
economics paper."

The ink from the typewriter ribbon got his hands very dirty, so he washed them and washed them. While he was washing his hands, he noticed that his fingernails were much too long. He cut them very carefully and then went back to his desk. He put a sheet of paper into his typewriter . looked out of the wiudow, and looked at his watch. It was noon.
  "I'll get some lunch now,".he said to himself. "After lunch I'll write that paper, if I don't do anything else. "

Text B

I'll Find My Way

The day of Uncle George's arrival is here. Everything is ready, but Uncle George and his family haven't arrived. Uncle George can't find his way to the Miller home. Mrs Miller gives him specific directions on the telephone. MRS MILI.ER:   Please answer the telephone, Mary.
MARY:   Hello. Uncle George? Where are you? Wait a minute, please. I'll call Mother.
  Mother,it's Uncle George.
MRs MII.I.ER:   George, dear. Where are you? At the corner of Pine and State 5treet? Wait
  there. Michael can come and get you.
UNCLE GEORGE:   No. It's not necessary. We drove the car. Give me the directions. I'll find my
  way.
MRS MILLER:   Go north on State Street to Main Street. There's a large statue there. Turn
  left. Continue to Grove Avenue. Turn right. Continue on Grove Avenue to
  Seventh Street.Turn left. We're in the middle of the block. Can you repeat
  the directions, George?
UNCLE GEORGE:   I think so. I have to go north on State Street to Main Street. I turn left to
  Grove Avenue. I continue on Grove Avenue. I turn right. I continue on Grove
  Avenue to Seventh Street. I turn left and go to the middle of the block.
MRs MILLER:   That's it. I'll see you soon, George. Mary, is the table set?
MARY:   Yes, Mother. Come and look.
MRs MILLER:   It looks very pretty. Thank you, Mary.

Questions on Text B

7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading
and retell the story to your partner.

A Break in the Routine
  Jonathan Rivers lived alone in a neat, two-storey, semi-detached house
in Compton Street. Like many bachelors approaching middle age, be was getting rather set in his ways. He caught the same train to London every morning, ate his lunch in the same crowded restaurant near the office where he worked and always came home on the 6. 00 train. People were so used to seeing Jonathan set off at a quarter past eight, dressed in a. sjmple dark suit. wearing a black bowler hat and carrying a rolled umbrella on his arm, that they said you didn't need to wear a watch if you lived in Compton Street.

Ever since Jonathan had set up house in Compton Street, he had looked after it very carefully. He worked hard in the garden every Sunday and set out to impress the neighbours with his flower beds and lawn. Before he left the house in the mornings, he carefully closed all the doors downstairs, opened some windows to let the air in and locked the front door. Everything Jonathan did was tidy and systematic.

One summer evening Jonathan returned home as usual at five minutes to seven precisely.When he opened the front gate he immediately noticed something strange. There was a heavy footprint in the earth in one of the ftower beds. Jonathan was just going to blame the milkman or the postman when he noticed that one of the white lace curtains in the front room downstairs was out of place. Jonathan never left anything out of place.

He walked up to the front door and opened it quietly. He listened carefully for a few moments but could hear nothing. The front-room door was halt-open. Jonathan studied it thoughtfully, wondering if he had forgotten to close it that morning. He had never forgotten before. He stepped silently across the hall to the door and looked inside the room. The shadow of a man was clearly reflected on the far wall in the evening sunlight. He had obvioasly been standing behind the door since Jonathan's return. ]onathan grabbed the door-handle, sla;nmed' the door and turned the key. Then he calmly picked up the telephone in the hall and set about calling the police.

The burglar, a tall, thick-set, bearded fellow, tried to climb through a window to get out but )onathan had expected'that. He set about him with his umbrella, using it like a swoid. Three minutes later the police arrived on the scene. Jonathan was a little annoyed that he had to have dinner laterthan usual but on the whole he felt quite pleased with himself.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
23  发表于: 2004-05-17   
Lesson 23

Text A

Would You Like a Shave or a Haircut?
  A poor farmer who had always lived in the country and had never visited a big town won a lot of money, so he decided that he could now afford a holiday in an excellent hotel by the sea.
  When lunch-time came on his first day there, he decided to go and eat in the restaurant of the hotel. The head waiter showed him to his table, took his order and went away. When he looked at the farmer again, he had a surprise! The farmer had
tied his table napkin round his neck.
  The head waiter was very annoyed at this and immediately told one of the other waiters in the restaurant to go to the man and inform him, without being in any way insulting, that people
did not do such a thing in restaurants of that quality.
  The waiter went to the farmer and said in a friendly voice, "Good morning, sir. Would you like a shave, or a haircut?"

Text B

What Do the Romans Do?

MR TURNBULL:   When in Rome, do as the Romans do, they say.
MRs TuRNBULL:   What do the Romans do?
MR TURNBULL:   They live in Rome , of course , and go to work by car
  or bus. But sometimes it takes too long that wayl because of
  the traffic jams, so they walk.
MRS TURNBULL:   In other words , the Romans do what everyone else does.
MR TURNBULL:   Yes, but they do it differently. Everything is different.
MRs TURNBULL:   What do you mean?
MR TURNBULL:   Well, the climate's different for a start. It doesn't rain so
  much as it does in England. The sun shines more often.
MRs TURNBULL:   I envy them the sun.
MR TURNBULL:   I know. You hate the rain, don't you?
MRs TURNBuLL:   I certainly do.
MR TuRnBuLL:   And a Roman really Ioves life. Eie knows how to enjoy himself.
MRs TuRNsuLL:   They always eat spaghetti and drink wine, don't they?
MR TURNBULL:   Not always. But they like a good meal. Lots of tourists go to Rome
  just for the food, you know.
MRS TURNBULL:   Really? How much does it cost to fly to Rome?
MR TURNBULI:   I don't know exactly, but it costs a lot oi money.

Question on Text B

7. Read the following conversation once. Underline the key words and retell to your partner the dialogue in your own words.

Mrs Smith Meets Mrs Turnbull Mrs Smith:   Hello, Mrs Turnbull. How are you?
Mrs Turnbull:   Fine, thanks. How's your boy, Jack?
Mrs Smith:   He's a bit tired. You know, he goes to school at eight o'clock every morning.
  He doesn't get home till after four. then he does his homework after tea. It
  often takes him a couple of hours to finish it.
Mrs Turnbull:   Poor boy. They work hard at school nowadays, don't they? Does he like it?
Mrs Smith:   School, you mean? Yes, he does. He likes his teachers, and that always makes a
  difference.
Mrs Turnbull:   Yes, it does. Does he go to school by bus?
Mrs Smith:   No, he walks. He likes walking. He meets some of his friends at the corner and
  they go together.
Mrs Turnbull:   What does he do when it rains?
Mrs Smith:   My husband takes him in the car. He passes the school on the way to the office.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
24  发表于: 2004-05-17   
Lesson 24

Text A

Many people like to decorate their houses at Christmas time. They decorate the inside of the house and the outside too. Inside they usually decorate a Christmas tree and the fireplace,
if there is one. Outside they place wreaths, ribbons,and coloured lightson the door and windows. If there is a tree in front of their house, they place olored lights on it too.

In New York City, there is a very tall, beautifully decorated
Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center at Christmas time. In Washington, there is also a big decorated tree in front of the White House. People come from many cities to admir the trees and the gaily decorated store windows on the principal avenues
of large cities.

Text B

What Do You Do After Work? PETER:   Hello, Jim. Where are you going?
JIM:   To the cinema. What about coming with me?
PETER:   No, thanks. I'm going home. My wife's expecting me.
JIM:   What a pity. I believe it's a very good film.
PETER:   Do you go to the cinema a lot?
JIM:   Once a week. Most nights I sit at home and watch telly
PETER:   Do you know what's on tonight by any chance?
JtM:   No, I'm sorry I don't. I never read the papers till I get home.
PETER:   Oh, I see. By the way, where are you going for your holidays this year?
JIM:   I don't know yet. My wife's going to her mother's for a couple of weeks. She lives
  by the sea, you know.
PETER:   Oh , does she? That's convenient.
JIM:   Yes, but I want to go to the country.
PETER:   Don't you like the sea?
JIM:   Yes , very much. But I need peace and quiet when I'm on holiday. What are you
  going to do?

PETER:   I'm going to stay at home.
J1M:   Aren't you going to have a holiday abroad this year?
PETER:   No , I want to buy a car , and that's going to take every penny I've got.

Question on Text B

Going to the Theater
  If you want to be certain of seeing a play in London, you have to book your seat in advance. You can buy your tickets either at a Theatre Ticket Agency or at the Box Office in the theatre itself. tt is very rarely that you will be lucky enough to get a ticket five minutes before the play begins.

If you go in a large party it is not always possible for all of you to sit in the same part of the theatre. Some will have to sit in the Stalls, others in the Dress Circle and some in the Upper Circie. These seats are the least expensive of the three. Seats in a Box or the Front Stalls are the most expensive.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
25  发表于: 2004-05-17   
Lesson 25

Text A

A Ten-Dollar Bill

Sam waited patiently in the long line at the grocery store. He had come to pick up a few items for his mother. He often did Chores for his parents after school. He enjoyed helping out at Homes, As he waited, he daydreamed about the new camera he Wanted to buy. He wanted to buy it soon because his family v'as ;oing on a vacation, and he wanted. to take pictures of their trip. There was only one problem. He needed seven more dollars to huy the camera. His lawn-mowing job at the Smith's should provide the money shortly.

Suddenly Sam was roughly shoved aside. He recognized Mrs Sanders, an unkind and unfriendly person who lived on his block. She had shoved in front of him without even smiling. Just as Mrs Sanders received her change and her purchases, a ten-dollar bill flew out of her hand and fell at Sam's feet. Mrs Sanders, however, was too busy criticizing the cashier for bis slowness to notice. As Sam bent to pick up the money, he thought quickly. The money did belong to Mrs Sanders, but she deserved to lose it after the way she had behaved, and, with it, he could buy the camera.

Text B

A Baby-sitter

Colin is talking to Jack about yesterday evening. Jack went out, but Colin had to stay at home. JACK:   Why did your parents make you stay at home?
CoLIN:   They wanted to go out , and so they made me look aftermy baby brother.
JACK:
  Didn't you mind doing it?
COLIN:   No, I didn't. My brother was very good and I did quite a lot of homework.
JACK:   Didn't you even want to go to the cinema?  
COLIN:   Not really. I watched television for an hour.  
JACK:   What was on television last night?  
CoLIN:   Boxing. It was excellent.
JAcK:   Oh. I enjoy watching boxing on television, too.
  What a pity I missed it last night!
CoLIN:   What did you do last night?
JACK:   I went to a boxing-match in the sports stadium.

Question on Text B

Miss Green was very fat. She weighed 100 kilos, and she was getting heavier every month , so she went to see her doctor. , He said, "You need a diet, Miss Green, and I've got a good one here. "
  He gave her a small book and said, "Read this carefully and eat the things on page 11 every day. Then come back and see me in two weeks' time. "

Miss Green came again two weeks later, but she wasn't thinner; she was fatter. The doctor was surprised and said, "Are you eating the things on page 11 of the small book?"
  "Yes , doctor , she answered.
  The next day the doctor visited Miss Green during her dinner. She was very surprised to see him.
  "Miss Green," he said, "Why are you eating potatoes and bread? They aren't in your diet. "
  "But, doctor," Miss Green answered, "I ate my diet at lunch time. This is my dinner.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
26  发表于: 2004-05-17   
Lesson 26

Text A

What Are the Times of Meals?
  Mr and Mrs Williams had always spent their summer holidays
in England in the past , in a small boarding-house at the seaside. One year, however, Mr Williams made a lot of money in his business , so they decided to go to Rome and stay at a really good hotel while they went around and saw the sights of that famous city.

They flew to Rome, and arrived at their hotel late one evening. They expected that they would have to go to bed hun- gry, because in the boarding-houses they had been used to in the past, no meals were served after seven o'clock in the evening. They were therefore surprised when the clerk who received them in the hall of the hotel asked them whether they would be taking dinner there that night.

"Are you still serving dinner then?" asked Mrs Williams.
  "Yes, certainly, madam," answered the clerk. "We serve it until half-past nine. "
  "What are the times of meals then?" asked Mr Williams.
  "Well, sir," answered the clerk, "we serve breakfast from seven to half-past eleven in the morning, lunch from twelve to three in the afternoon, tea from four to five, and dinner from six to half-past nine. "
  "But that hardly leaves any time for us to see the sights of' Rome ! " said Mrs Williams in a disappointed voice.

Text B

The Food Is Bad

Lise, Nick and Bill had gone out walking for the day. Nick got back about six. "Haven't Bill and Lise arrived yet?" he asked. "I thought they were ahead of me. . . "
  It was 7. 30 when Bill and Lise came in. The others were just finishing supper. " Where on earth have you been?" Nick asked.

"We'll tell you all about it after supper," Bill said. "We'd better go and get our food. The warden's alreatly told us that we're late. . . "
  After supper, the group sat around talking.
STEVE:   Ugh ! The food here really is bad. My soup was cold. And the meat-huh! -it was like
  leather!
LtsE:   Yes, and they don't give you very much, either. I'm still hungry. Are hostels in
  England always as- badas this?
Anna:   I haven't stayed in one for ages. But I'm sure this
  one is especially bad. And the warden is so unpleasant. . .
MALC:   "Don't do this, don't do that. You mustn't do this, you can't do that. . . "
STEVE:   WEll, I'm going to write a letter of complaint. To the Secretary of the Youth
  Hostels Association!
LIsE:   And we'll all help you. . .

Questions on Text B

7. Read the following dialogue once. Underline the key words while reading and retell to your partner the dialogue in your own words.

A:   They don't really think you took it, do they?
B:   1 don't know. I just know I've never been asked so many questions in my life.
A:   How many of them were there?
B:   Three-but there was one of them who kept asking really stupid questions.
A:   Like what?
B:   Oh, he wanted to know what time I got up this morning and if I bad a bath or a
  shower - you know, things like that.
A:   What on earth has that got to do with some money disappearing?
B:   I've no idea. Oh yes, and the most ridiculous thing. He asked me what I had for
  breakfast this morning.
A:   Oh well, that's it. They obviously think you're a desperate criminal and you have
  to steal to eat. I should think you'll get thirty years.
B:   Hmm. Tharik you very much.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
27  发表于: 2004-05-17   
lesson 27

Text A

The Shopping List
  Mrs Black was having a lot of trouble with her skin, so she went to her doctor about it. He could not find anything wrong th her, however, so he sent her to the local hospital for tests. The hospital, of course, sent the results of the tests direct to Mrs Black's doctor, and the next morning he telephoned her to give her a list of the things that he thought she should not eat, any of thern might be the cause of her skin trouble.

Mrs Black carefully wrote all the things down on a piece of paper, which she then left beside the telephone while she went out to a ladies' meeting.
  When she got back home two hours later, she found her husband waiting for her. He had a big basket full of packages beside him, and when he saw her, he said, "Hullo, dear. I have done all your shopping for you."

"Done all my shopping?" she asked in surprise. "But how you know what I wanted?"
"Well, When I got home, I found your shopping list beside telephone , " answered her husband , "so I went down to the shops and bought everything you had written down. "
  Of course , Mrs Black had to tell him that he had bought all
the things the doctor did not allow her to eat!

Text B

Under a Terrible Strain
Betty and Jean are on their way to work.

BETTY:   What was the party like last night, Jean?
JEAN:   Not bad at all , thanks. There were one or two interesting people there.
  Why-couldn't you come?
BETTY:   Well, I couldn't get away from work early. And when. I got home I had a headache ,
  so I had to go straight to bed. But I was over-tired , because I wasn't able to
  get to sleep for hours.
JEAN:   What a shame. Why didn't you take a sleeping pill?
BETTY:   I don't like them. I used to take themƇ when I had to work overtime, you know.
JEAN:   How many did you use to take?
BETTY:   Three every night.
JEAN:   Good heavens. Why did you take so many?
BETTY:   Because I was under a terrible strain. The doctor said
  they weren't very strong. Anyway, I used to feel awful the next morning.
JEAN: I'm sure you did.
BETTY: The doctor said I had to be careful.
JEAN: He was quite right.
BETTY: So I stopped drinking coffee late at night instead.

Question on Text B

7.Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.

A Language Mix-Up
  Two young British tourists were travelling in France when a policeman stopped their car and gave it a search. He found a bag of whit.e powder which looked suspicious. "Drogue?" asked the heroin-conscious policeman. "Yes, dogs," they responded, and promptly found themselves in jail.
Analysis of the powder revealed that it was a chemical which gives off a smell , used to discourage dogs from using the sides of the car as a toilet. The tourists were set free, after promising to take a few French lessons before
their next vacation in France.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
28  发表于: 2004-05-17   
Lesson 28

Text A

Where to Find a Listener
  Mr Adamson enjoys playing the violin in his leisure time. He is often carried away by his music. But it is a terrible time for his neighbours when Mr Adamson plays as he does so badly.
One day Mr Adamson sat by a window and began te play the violin as usual. Mr Adamson seems to be making noises instead of music. However, Mr Adamson was absorbed. Just then, some stones

were thrown out of the window under which Mr Adamson was sitting, but he did not pay attention to it. The "music" continued. After a little while, an empty bottle and a worn-out shoe were thrown out of the window too. Mr Adamson knew that this was not the place for him. The neighbours did not like his "music ". Mr Adamson was very sad. He was badly hurt. "Perhaps no living people can understand my music.I should go to a place where people may appreciate my works. " So he decided to go to a graveyard.

He came to a graveyard where there was no other sound ex cept the church to11. The yard was a Heaven'" where dead people
rest. Mr Adamson sat at a grave's and thought a lot, "I must do my best to show that my music is outstanding. " He was inspired and began to play his violin. Suddenly a barefoot stretched out from the grave amd gave Mr Adamson a kick which sent him flying. His treasured violin also dropped frum his hand. Mr Adamson felt very sad because his works was not accepted by anyone , not even the dead.

Text B

Don't Throw Paper on the Floor

Bill Davidson is throwing some paper on the floor. Miss Mead, his teacher, is looking at the paper. Mlss MEAD:   Don't throw paper on the floor, Bill.
BILL:   Where shall I put it, miss?
MISS ME.AD   Put it in the waste-paper basket, please.
BILL:   But Peter and Tony put all their paper in the basket a few .moments ago.
  Now it's full
MISS MEAD:   In that case, take the basket outside and empty it.
BILL:   Yes , m iss. (He takes the basket out of the room and returns with it a few
  moments later. )
MIss MEAD:   Where did you empty the basket, Bill?
BILL:   In the playground, miss.
MISS MEAD:   Silly boyo ! The dustbin is at the back of the school. Now pick up the paper
  and put it in the dustbiri.

Question on Text B

An Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman each owed a friend of theirs a pound. The man died. They agreed that their debts were debts of honour and must be paid, and that each one should go to the dead man's house, leave a pound and ask that it should be buried with him, as he had no relatives. The Englishman went and left a pound; so did the Irishman. The Scotsman went to the house, took the two pounds, wrote a cheque for three pounds and asked that it should be buried with the dead man.
  But the undertaker (the man who arranges funerals) was a Welshman. He found the cheque, cashed it and kept the money.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
显示用户信息 
29  发表于: 2004-05-17   
Lesson 29

Text A

Some Sausage Sandwiches
  One morning last summer Mrs Andrews made some sausage sandwiches for her husband's lunch. There was one sausage left over. Mrs Andrews didn't care for sausages herself and so she gave the last one to Henry, their little dog. Henry ate it up q uickly.

During the morning the dog got ill. He wouldn't stop shaking his head and he couldn't stand up properly. Mrs Andrews thought, "He has eaten something that didn't agree with him. Maybe that sausage was bad. . . " She suddenly remembered her huusband's lunch. She ran to the telephone and called Jim at the office.

"Jim, I hope you haven't eaten any of those sandwiches yet. "
  "Yes, I have. . . "
  "You have? Well, listen- don't eat any more. I gave Henry the last sausage and now he's ill. Go to the doctor, Jim. Tell the doctor about the dog. Get some medicine at once. "
  Jim came home at lunchtime and went to bed. "I had a very wnpleasant hour with the doctor," he told his wife. "The medicine made me very sick." The next morning Jim was fine. Henry seemed quite well again too. At eleven o'clock the milkman came with the milk.

"Good morning, Mrs Andrews," The milkman said. "How's your dog this morning? I have been thinking about him. . . "
  "Have you?' Well, he seems alright now, but. . . "
  "Yesterday morning he and I had a little accident. He jumped up at .me and I dropped a bottle of milk on his head. "

Text B
Which of the Two ls Better? WOMAN:   Which of the two do you think is bctter? I mean , what's the difference between
  them?
SALESMAN:   Well... this one costs more, but it has a much better sound. This part of it is
  made of wood , not plastic. And there's a tone control" , too.
WOMAN:   I only want it for the kitchen. I like to listen to the news at breakfast time.
SALESMAN:   Hmm ... well, the other one is good for the money. It's much cheaper. We sell a
  lot of them and all our customers are satisfied with them.
Moman:   Hmm... I'd like the cheaper one, please. Can I pay hy cheque?
SAILESMAN:   Ceftainly.

Question on Text B

"Why Not Stop Her?"
  The ladies' club always had a meeting every Friday afternoon and some one came to talk to them about important things. After that, they had tea and asked questions.

One Friday, a gentleman came and talked to the club about food "There is not enough food in the world for everybody,"he said. "More than half the people in the world are hungry. And when they get more food, the have more babies, so they never stop being hungry. Somewhere in the world, a woman is having a baby every minute, day and night. What are we going to do about it?" He waited for a few seconds hefore he continued, but hefore he began to speak again, one of the ladies said, "Well, why don't we find that woman and stop her?"
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
描述
快速回复

按"Ctrl+Enter"直接提交