查看完整版本: [-- 《英语初级口语》(文本+MP3) --]

水之韵论坛 -> 英语学习专区 -> 《英语初级口语》(文本+MP3) [打印本页] 登录 -> 注册 -> 回复主题 -> 发表主题

<<   1   2  >>  Pages: ( 2 total )

竹影无风 2004-04-24 20:59

《英语初级口语》(文本+MP3)

介绍:
    《英语口语教程》(Oral Workshop)问世于20世纪90年代初,是由北京外国语大学吴祯福教授主持编写,也是目前我国英语教学界具有相当的影响力的一套教材,至今已经累计销售数百万册。这套优秀的教材哺育了一届又一届的英语学习者,为我们国家的改革开放培养了大量的英语专业人才,成为国内主要高等学校英语专业的指定口语教材。实践证明,这是一套非常富有生命力的教材。 包括初级、中级、高级三册。
出 版 社:外语教学与研究出版社

MP3下载地址:
http://bs.szu.edu.cn/yy/cj/lesson01.mp3
http://bs.szu.edu.cn/yy/cj/lesson02.mp3
    ...........(中间自已加上)
http://bs.szu.edu.cn/yy/cj/lesson40.mp3

Lesson 1

Text A

How Old Is She?

A woman was having some trouble with her heart, so she went to see the doctor.He was a new doctor, and did not know her. so he first asked some questions, and one of them was , "How old are you?"
  "Well," she answered, "I don't remember. doctor, but I will try to think." She thought for a minute and then said, "Yes. I remember now, doctor! When I married, I was eighteen years old, and my husband was thirty. Now my husband is sixty, I know. And that is twice thirty. So I am twice eighteen. That is thirty-six, isn't it?"

Text B

Could I Speak to Jim,Please?

A:
  Hello, 332440.

B:
  Oh hello, Sally. This is Dave Thomson here. Could I speak to Jim please?

A:
  I'm afraid he's not in at the moment Dave. He went out about an hour ago and

he's not back yet.

B:
  Any idea when he might?be back?

A:
  Well, he shouldn't be long. He said he was just going to

get some paint. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's stopped off at the pub on
B:
  O. K. well , tell him I've called , will you , and I'll try again later.

the way back.
A:
  All right. Goodbye , Dave.

B:
  Thanks then Sally. Goodbye.

Questions on Text B

7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story   to your partner.

Accident
  The river, you see, was never really safe at that time of the year- early autumn, I mean, when there is heavy rainfall. So when I heard the children had gone swimming, as they used to all spring and summer, I knew there might be an awful accident. And when they came home late without little Katie, I guessed what had happened.
[此贴被竹影无风在2004-05-13 8:47重新编辑]

竹影无风 2004-04-25 20:01
Lesson 2

Text A

But the Chinese Did !

One day Tom said to one of his friends, "I'm going to have a holiday in Peking. But I don't speak Chinese, so I'll go to evening classes and have Chinese lessons for a month before I go."
  He studied very hard for a month, and then his holidays began and he went to China.
  When he came back a few weeks later, his friend said to him, "Did you have any trouble with your Chinese when you were in Peking , Tom?"
  "No, I didn't have any trouble with it," answered Tom. "But the Chinese did !"

Text B

At the Birthday Party  

MRs Ross: Welcome, Peter. Give me your coat and hat.
  PETER: Thank you, Mrs Ross.
MRs Ross: The boys and girls are in the living room. Wait, I'll call John.
  JOHN: Hi, Peter. Why are you late?
  PETER: My mother made me dress up.
  JOHN: That's good. Alice has some pretty friends.
  PETER: You know I don't like girls.
  PETER: Happy birthday, Alice. Many happy returns of the day. Here's a present for you.
  ALIcE: Thank you, Peter. Come into the dining room. I'm going to cut the cake soon.
  JOHN: Have some sandwiches , Peter.
  PETER: Thanks. John. who's that girl?
  JOHN: That's Joan. She's pretty, isn't she? She likes to dance. Ask her to dance.
  PETER: Well , I don't know.
  JOHN: Don't be afraid. She isn't going to bite you.
  PETER: Who's afraid? I'm not afraid.
  PETER: Would you like to dance, Joan?
  JOAN: Yes , Thank you. I'd like to dance very much.

Questions on Text B
7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story   to your partner.

Self-service
  If you are in a hurry and you want to have a quick meal there is no better place than a self-service restaurant. You go into the restaurant, pick up a tray, knife, fork, and spoon and queue at a counter where the food is on display. You pick out what you want and put it on your tray, which you have to push along a special rack till you reach the cashier. The cashier will give you your bill. After paying, you take your tray to any table you like. You can sit alone or with another customer. You can have a good meal in ten minutes. And-as there is no waiter you don't have to give a tip.

竹影无风 2004-04-27 18:21
Lesson 3

Text A

There Is Something Very Nice Inside Your Drum
  It was Jimmy's birthday, and he was five years old. He got quite a lot of nice birthday presents from his family, and one of them was a beautiful big drum.
  "Who gave him that thing?" Jimmy's father said when he saw it.
  "His grandfather did," answered Jimmy's mother.
  "Oh," said his father.
  Of course , Jimmy liked his drum very much. He made a terrible noise witb it, but his mother did not mind. His father was working during the day, and Jimmy was in bed when he got home in the evening, so he did not hear the noise.
  But one of the neighbours did not like the noise at all , so one morning a few days later, she took a sharp knife and went to Jimmy's house while he was hitting his drum. She said to him, "Hullo, Jimmy. Do you know, there's something very nice inside your drum. Here's a knife. Open the drum and let's find it. "

Text B

May I See a Hat, please?

MR Ross: May I see a hat , please?
SALESMAN: What size do you take?
MR Ross: I'm sorry. I don't know.
SALESMAN: I'll measure you. . . You take size 6. What colour hat would you like?
MR Ross: Brown, please.
SALESMAN: Here are some nice brown hats.Try this hat on.It's a very good one.
MR ROss: Yes, I like this one.It goes very well with my coat. How much is it?
SALESMAN: It's  $ 9.95 ( nine dollars and ninety-five cents ). Do you want me to put it in a
box?

Questions on Text B

The police in the big city were looking for a thief. At last they caught him. But while they were taking photographs of him - from the front, from the left, from the right, with a hat, without a hat - he suddenly attacked the policemen and ran off. They tried to catch him, but he got away.
  Then a week later the telephone rang in the police-station, and somebody said, "You are looking for Bill Cross, aren't you?"
  "Yes. "
  "Well, he left here for Waterbridge an hour ago. "
  Waterbridge was a small town about 100 miles from the city. The city police at ence sent four different photographs of the thief to the police in Waterbridge.
  Less than twelve hours later they got a telephone call from the police in Waterbridge. "We have caught the fourth this evening, we think. "

竹影无风 2004-04-29 08:59
Lesson 4

Text A

What's the Matter with You?

MRs WELsH: Good afternoon, Dr Dawes.
DR DAwEs: Good afternoon, Mrs Welsh .
MRS WELSH: Please come this way,Doctor.Peter's in this room.
DR DAwEs: Well, Peter.I'm sorry you're ill. What's the matter with you?
  PETER: I don't know,Doctor. I'm ill.I have a headache and a stomachache.
DR DAwEs: Show me your tor.gue.What did you eat yesterday?
  PETER: Well,Doctor,I. . .
DR DAwEs: Did you eat any cake?
  PEKE: Yes,I ate some cake.
DR DAwEs: Did you eat any ice cream?
  PETEK: Well,yes,I did.I ate some ice cream.
DR DAWEs: Did you eat any candy?
  PETER: Well,yes,I did. I ate some candy.
DR DAwES: Young man,tell me everything you ate yesterday evening.
  PETER: WeII, Doctor.I went to a birthday party.
DR DAwEs: I see!How many pieces of cake did you eat?
  PETER: Three,Doctor.
DR DAwEs: How many plates of ice ream did you eat,young man?
  PETER: Gosh,Doctor.I had only three plates of ice cream.John had four.

Text B

How Did You hose Your Way?

Mrs Brown's old grandfather lived with her and her husband. Every morning he went for a walk in the park and came home at half past twelve for his lunch.
  But one morning a police car stopped outside Mrs Brown's house at twelve o'clock, and two policemen helped Mr Brown to get out. One of them said to Mrs Brown, "The poor old gentleman lost his way in the park and telephoned to us for help, sowe sent a car to bring him home. " Mrs Brown was very surprised, but she thanked the policemen and they left.
  "But, Grandfather, " she then said , "you have been to that
park nearly every day for twenty years. How did you lose your way there?"
  The old man smiled ,closed one eye and said, "I didn't
quite lose my way. I just got tired and I didn't want to walk home ! "

Questions on Text B

7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.

One morning a man was crossing a narrow bridge when he saw a fisherman on the shady bank of the deep, smooth river under him,so he stopped to watch him quietly.
  After a few minutes, the fisherman pulled his line in. There was a big, fat fish at the end of it.
  The fisherman took it off the hook and threw it back into the water. Then he put his hook and line in again. After a few more minutes he caught another big fisb. Again he threw it back into the river. Then, the third time, he caught a small fish. He put it into his basket and started to get ready to go. The man on the bridge was very surprised, so he spoke to the fisherman. He said, "Why did you throw those beautiful, big fish back into the water and keep only that small one?"
  The fisherman looked up and answered, "Small frying-pan. "

竹影无风 2004-04-29 08:59
Lesson 5

Text A

Summer Plans

Peter and Mary are talking about their plans for the summer. Mary is going to work in the city, but Peter is going to go to camp. Mary thinks that their friend John is going to the mountains with his family.

PETERL: What are you going to do after you return from Washington?
MARY: I'm going to stay in the city.
PETER: What will you do all day?
MARY: I'm going to work with my father at the store. In the evening,I'll read books.
On weekends, I'll go to the beach with my family.
PETER: Have you ever worked?
MARy: No, but I can learn. What are you going to do this summer?
PETER: I'm going to camp. I've gone to camp for four summers.
MARY: I've never gone to camp. What do you do there?
PETER: We do many things . In the morning, we go swimming and boating. In the afternoon,
we play basketball or tennis. We sit around a campfire at night.We sing or tell .
stories.
MARY: That sounds wonderful.
PETER: It is wonderful. What's John going to do this summer?
MARY: I think he's going to the mountains with his parents.
FETER: Well, so long, Mary. Have fun.
MARY: You too , Peter. Give my regards to John.Ǝ I'll see you in September.

Text B

My Dishwasher
  Mrs Williams lived in a small street in London, and now she had a new neighbour. Her name was Mrs Briggs , and she talked a lot about her expensive furniture, her beautiful carpets and her new kitchen.
  "Do you know, " she said to Mrs Williams one day, "I've got a new
dishwasher. It washes the plates and glasses and knives and forks beautifully. "
  "Oh?" Mrs Williams answered. "And does it dry them and put them in the cupboard too?"
Mrs Briggs was surprised. "Well," she answered, "the things in the machine are dry after an hour,but it doesn't put them away,of course. "
  "I've had a dishwasher for twelve and a half years," Mrs Williams said.
  "Oh?" Mrs Briggs answered. "And does yours put the things in the cupboard when it has washed them?" She laughed nastily.
  "Yes , he does," Mrs Williams answered. "He dries the dishes and puts them away. "

Questions on Text B

7. Read the following dialogue once. Underline the key words while reading and retell to your partner the dialogue in your own words.

Frank and Charles discuss last night's television programme.   Frank: Did you watch television last night, Charles?
Charles: Yes , I did.
Frank: It was a good game, wasn't if?
Charles: Oh, I didn't watch the football match. I wanted to , but my wife
preferred to see the
Frank: What a pity. It was quite exciting. Both teams played very well.
Charles: How did it finish?
Frank: It finished in a draw. What was the film like?
Charles: It was quite good. But.I missed the beginning of it because I had to eat first.
Frank: Did your wife enjoy it?
Charles: No , she didn't. After half an hour slie stopped watching and started to read a
book.

竹影无风 2004-04-30 23:07
Lesson 6

Text A

How to Make Everybody Happy

Peter's uncle lived in the country. Once Peter went to stay with him for a few weeks. Whenever they went for a walk or for a drive in the car and they passed somebody, his uncle waved. Peter was surprised, and said, "Uncle George, you know everybody here. Where did you meet them all?"

"I don't know all these people , " said his uncle.
  "Then why do you wave to them?" asked Peter.
  "Well, Peter," answered his uncle, "when I wave to someone and he knows me, he is pleased. He continues his journey with a happier heart.

But when I wave to someone and he doesn't know me, he is surprised and says to himself `Who is that man? Why did he wave to me?' So he has something to think about during the rest of his journey, and that makes his journey seem shorter. So I make everybody happy. "

Text B

What Wonld You Like to Do Tonight?

Mary's cousins, Fay and Rosemary, are still at her house. The girls want to go to the movies. They look in the newspaper to see what time the movie starts. After seeing the movie, they go to an ice cream parlor and order their favorite desserts.
  MARY: Girls , what would you like to do tonight?
ROSEMARY: Do you ever go to the movies?
  MARY: Of course. I often go to the movies.
ROSEMARY: Well, let's go to the movies.
  MARY: There's a good movie near here: "Summer in Maine"
  FAY: Fine. I heard it's a very good movie.
RosEMARY: Let's find out what time it starts.
  MARY: Let's look at the newspaper. Movie programs are usually on page nine.
  FAY: Here it is. "Summer in Maine " starts at 8 o'clock.

Questions on Text B

7.Read the following conversation once. Underline the key words while reading and retell to your partner the dialogue in your own words.

Fred: If I won the Pools, I'd go round the world.
Bert: Would you? I wouldn.'t.
Fred: What would you do?
Bert: Oh, I don't know. I'd buy a big house with a garden for my wife and kids, I
suppose. But it's difficult to imagine having a lot of money.
Fred: One thing's certain. If I had a lot of money, I wouldn't work any more.
Bert: Wouldn't you? What would you do with all that spare time?
Fred: As I said, I'd go round the world.
Bect: What would you do after that?
Fred: Oh, I don't know. It'd take me a long time to go round the world.
Bert: It doesn't sound very exciting.
Fred: Anyway, we haven't won the Pools, and we're not likely to win them. So there
isn't much point in talking about it, is there?
Bert: I'd be happy if I got a rise.
Fred: And my wife would be happy if I hought her a mink coat.
Bert: Well , I'm not likely to get a rise and you haven't the money for a mink oat, so
let'scome down to earth and have another drink.
Fred: What'll you have?
Bert: I'll have a pint of the best.
Fred: I'd have a Scotch if I were you. We deserve it.
Bert: All right. Make it a double, will you?

竹影无风 2004-04-30 23:08
Lesson 7

Text A

After a Heavy Snowstorm

One night there was a heavy snowstorm, and in the morning Mr Smith's garden was full of deep snow. Mr Smith wanted to take his car out, so he paid a man to clean the path from his garage to his gate. He said to this man, "Don't throw any snow on that side, because it will damage the bushes in my garden; and don't throw any snow into the street, or the police will be angry. " Then Mr Smith went out.
  When he came back, the path was clean and the snow from it was not on the bushes, or the fence, or the street. Mr Smith was very pleased-until he opened the garage to get his car out! The garage was full to the top with all the snow from the path, and his car was somewhere under it all!

Text B

No Baseball Today

PETER: Can you play baseball with me today?
JoHN: No, I can't. I'm sorry. I have to help my mother. We're going to move tomorrow.
PETER: Where's the new house? Is it far from here?
JoHN: No, it's not far. It's near our old house.
PETER: Can I help you pack?
JoHN: Sure. Thanks.

PETER: What can I do?
JoHN: Take the books out of the bookcase. Put them in this box.
PETER: Well, the books are in the box. What can I do now?
JoHN: Take the magazines out of the bookcase. Put them in that box.
PETER: All right.
JoHN: Peter ! Pack them. Don't read them.
PETER: These magazines are interesting. May I borrow one?
JOHN: Of course.
PETER: Thanks, John.

Quiestions on Text B
7. Read the foilowing passage once. Undertine the key words whiie reading and retell the story to your partner.                  

A Better Mailman !
  I worked as a mailman for a short time. However, I am afraid of dogs and I had a lot of trouble. One day I tried to deliver some letters to a big house. I started to open the gate and all of a sudden a huge dog ran toward me. It growled and barked at me , so I threw the letters over the fence. The dog picked them up and carried them into the house. The dog was a better mailman than I was!

竹影无风 2004-04-30 23:08
Lesson 8

Text A

Please Set the Table

MRs MILLER:
I have to stay in the kitchen. I don't want the food to burn. Would you please

set the table?
MARY :
Of course , Mother.

MRS MILLER:
Did you put two forks with each plate?

MARY :
Yes , I did.

MRs MILLER:
Are the salt and pepper shakers on the table?

MpRY:
Oh , no , they're not. I'll get them now.

MRSMILLER:
Did you use the new glasses?

MARY:
Yes , I did.

MRS MILLER:
Does the table look nice?

MARY:
I think so, Mother.

MRs MILLER:
I hear the bell. Please open the door, Mary.

Text B

Interestlng Pictures

"Food really tastes good cooked over an open fire," Lloyd remarked as he took another bite of his hot dog.
  "It sure does," replied Fred. "I wish this weren't the last night of our camping trip, but school starts next week. "
  A couple of days after returning home, Lloyd and Fred took the exposed film out of their camera and took it to the camera shop to be developed. They were told that the pictures would be ready Thursday. Thursday was just two days away. Fred and Lloyd could hardly wait to see how their pictures came out. They planned to show their pictures to everyone at school as soon as school was back in session.
  Fred and Lloyd felt very pleased when they showed their teacher the pictures they had taken on their vacation. She said that they were some of the most interesting pictures she had seen.

Questions on TextB

7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.

Who Waits for Whom?
  Mr and Mrs Allen go grocery shopping on Saturday mornings. Mr Allen never enjoys these trips. Mrs Allen does the shopping and he sits in the car and waits for her. This morning there were a lot of people and it took Mrs Allen longer than usual. An hour went by and finally a man came up to Mr Allen. "Excuse me," he said, "is your name Allen? Your wife is waiting for you at the check-out counter. She doesn't have enough money for the groceries ! "

竹影无风 2004-05-04 10:23
Lesson 9

Text A

Stop Eating Fried Potatoes

Mrs Jenkins went to her doctor one day, because her heart was giving her trouble.
  The doctor listened to her heart carefully and did a few other things. Then he said, "Well, Mrs Jenkins, stop smoking, and then you'll soon be quite all right again. "
  "But doctor," answered Mrs Jenkins quickly, "I've never smoked. I don't like smoking. "
  "Oh, well," said the doctor, "then don't drink any more alcohol. "
  "But I don't drink alcohol," answered Mrs Jenkins at once.
  "Stop drinking tea and coffee then," the doctor said to her.
  "I only drink water," answered Mrs Jenkins. "I don't like tea or coffee. "
  The doctor thought for a few seconds and then said,
  "Well,. . . er. . . do you like fried potatoes?"
  "Yes, I like them very much," answered Mrs Jenkins.
  "All right, then stop eating those," said the doctor as he got up to say goodbye to Mrs Jenkins.

Text B

Keep Him in Bed

MRS WELSH: Get up, Peter. It's late.
  PETER: I can't get up , Mom. I'm ill.
MRS WELSH: What's the matter with you?
  PETER: I have a headache and a bad stomachache.
MRS WELSH: You have a fever too. I'm going to call Dr Dawes. Don't get out of bed.
  PETER: Oh, I can't get out of bed. I'm too ill.
MRS WELSH: Operator, give me Spring 3-2546, please. Hello, this is Mrs Welsh. Is Dr Dawes
there? Thank you. I'll wait. . . Dr Dawes, this is Mrs Welsh. Can you come to
the house , please?
DR DAWES: Who's ill?
MRS WELSH: Peter, my son.
DR DAWES: What's the matter with him?
MRS WELSH: I don't know. He has a headache, a bad stomachache and a fever.
DR DAWES: Keep him in bed.Where do you live?
MRS WELSH: We live at 44 Washington Avenue.
DR DAWES: All right, Mrs Welsh, I'll be there soon.
MRS WELSH: Thank you. Good-bye Dr Dawes.

Quiestions on TextB

Harry is looking at a man in the street. He is talking to Jack about the man. Harry: Who's that man with the black bag?
Jack: I can't see a man with a black bag.
Harry: He was standing at the door of that house a moment ago. Now he's walking down the
street.
Jack: Oh, that man. I don't know who he is. He's a stranger.
Harry: Look at the man who's running after him.
Jack: Yes. Perhaps the stranger is a thief.
Harry: I don't think so.
Jack: Wait a minute. I can recognise the man who's running after him. It's Mr Green.
Harry: Now I remember. Mr Green told me yesterday that his brother was coming.

竹影无风 2004-05-05 21:26
Lesson 10

Text A

A Beautiful Dress
  One day Mrs Jones went shopping. When her husband came home in the evening, she began to tell him about a beautiful cotton dress. "I saw it in a shop this morning," she said, "and..."
  "And you want to buy it," said her husband. "How much does it cost? "
  "Forty pounds. "
  "Forty pounds for a cotton dress? That is too much!"
  But every evening, when Mr Jones came back from work, his wife continued to speak only abou't the dress, and at last, after a week, he said, "Oh, buy the dress! Here is the money!" She was very happy.
  But the next evening, when Mr Jones came home and asked, "Have you got the famous dress?" she said, "No. "
  "Why not?" he said.
  "Well, it was still in the window of the shop after a week, so I thought, nobody else wants this dress, so I don't want it either. "

Text B

Which Bus Shall 1 Take?

Jane Foster has just met Henry Taylor.Jane is on her way to the hospital to see her friend, Susan Green. HENRY: Where are you going, Jane?
JANE: I'm going to the hospital to see Susan Green.
HENRY: I saw her yesterday. She was a little better.
JANE: Must I catch a number 7 bus to get there?
HENRY: No , you needn't. A number 13 bus will also take you to the hospital.
JANE: Number 13 buses run much more frequently, don't they?
HENRY: Yes. I caught a number 7 bus yesterday, and I had to wait for half an hour at
the bus stop.
JANE: Thank you, Henry. I'll get a number .
HENRY: But number 13 buses leave from the centre of town. You'll have to walk two miles to
catch one.

Questions on Text B

Mrs Jones was still cleaning the house when her husband came back from work. She was wearing dirty, old clothes and no stockings, her hair was not tidy, she had dust on her face, and she looked dirty and tired. Her husband looked at her and said, "Is this what I come home to see after a hard day's work?"
  Mrs Jones's neighbour, Mrs Smit.h, was there. When she heard Mr Jones's words , she quickly said. goodbye and ran back to her house. Then she washed, brushed and combed her hair carefully, put on her best dress and her prettiest stockings, painted her face, and waited for her husband to come home.
  When he arrived, he was hot and tired. He walked slowly into the house, saw his wife and stopped. Then he shouted angrily, "And where are you going this evening?"

cxjmah 2004-05-10 16:27
在学习外语的时候,对话并非最困难,困难的是,不知道自己出错在哪里。我天天和法国同事一起对话,好多时候发音错误,同事会指出,但是语法上的错误,却都被忽略了。这应该是大声朗读的不足的原因吧。
谢谢楼主了。

竹影无风 2004-05-15 18:16
Lesson 11

Text A

A Visit to Conway Castle

Dave's class at school were studying English history, and one day their teacher said to them, "Well, boys, on Friday we're all going to get on a bus and go to Conway. There's a beautiful castle there, and we're going to visit it. " The boys were very happy when they heard this.

"Now, has anybody got any questions?" the teacher asked.
  "How old is the castle, sir?" Dave asked.
  "It's about seven hundred years old , Dave , " the teacher answered.
  "What's the name of the castle, sir?" another boy asked.
  "Conway Castle," the teacher said.

On Friday the boys came to school at 9 o'clock and got into the bus. They visited Conway Castle, and then they came back and went home.
  "Well , " Dave's mother said to him when he got home , "did you like the castle,. Dave?"
"Not very much," Dave answered. "The stupid people built it too near the railway. "

Text B

What Are You Going to Do?

Robert and Peter are talking about the end of the school term. Robert is going to leave school and start work, but Peter is going to stay at school.
PETER: Are you going to leave school at the end of the term?
OBERT: Yes, I am.
PETER: What are you going to do?
OBERT: I'm going to be a clerk.
PETER: What does a clerk do?
OBERT: He works in an office. He writes letters and reports , and he types.
PETER: I want to be a vet.
OBERT: A-what?
PETER: A vet-a veterinary surgeon.
OBERT: Good gracious !What's that?
PETER: A vet's a man who takes care of sick animals. He's an animal doctor.
OBERT: I once read a story ahout a person who talked to animals. It was very interesting.

Questions on Text B

Mrs Neat
  Mrs Neat was tidy and orderly. One day she got on a bus, went up on top and sat down. When the conductor asked her for her fare , she opened her bag, took out her purse, closed her bag, opened her purse, took out a shilling, closed her purse, opened her bag, put in her purse and closed her bag. She paid her fare. The conductor gave her a ticket.

竹影无风 2004-05-15 18:18
Lesson 12

Text A

What a Mess!

Bill Lane has just touched some wet paint. MR FIELD:
  You mustn't touch the wet paint, Bill.

BILL:
  I'm sorry. I won't do it again.

MR FIELD:
  Try to be more careful in future.

BILL:
  I shall. I wasn't as careless as John Sampson. He walked across that wet cement

over there.
MR FIELD:
  The workmen oughtn't to leave it without a no tice.

BILL:
  The headmaster asked them not to do so.

MR FIELD:
  Then why isn't there a notice?

BILL:
  They went to their stores to get one. Here they come with it now!

MR FIELD:
  But look at them! They've forgotten about the wet cement and they're walking

across it to put up the notice!

Text B

A Tall and Slim Girl

At five feet six inches , Rosa was taller than every other student in the sixth grade. She worried about this alt the time, in school and at home. Her mother told her to stand up straight and be proud that she was so tall and slim.
  "Someday , " her mother said , "youཇ be happy that you're tall. "
This made Rosa happier, but she was still afraid her classmates were making fun of her behind her back. One day , all this changed when Mr Ransom, the coach from the youth club , asked Rosa to play center on their basketball team. He said that Rosa was a good ball player and her height would make her valuable as center. Now, she really was proud to be tall. She was someone special.

Questions on Text B

7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell tbe story to your partner.

Better Be a Stupid Man
  It was a beautiful spring morning. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, and the sun was warm but not too hot . so Mr Andrews was surprised when saw an old gentleman at the bus-stop with a big, strong black umbrella i' his hand.
  Mr Andrews said to him, "Are we going to have rain today, do you think?"
  "No , " said the old gentleman , "I don't think so. "
  "Then are you carrying the umbrella to keep the sun off you?"
  "No, the sun is not very hot in spring. "
  Mr Andrews looked at the big umbrella again, and the gentleman said, "I am an old man, and my legs are not very strong, so I really need a walk- ing-stick. But when I carry a walking-stick, people say, `Look at that poor old man' , and I don't like that. When I carry an umbrella in fine weatber, people only say, `Look at that stupid man'. "

竹影无风 2004-05-15 18:18
Lesson 13

Text A

Give Me a Big Box of Chocolates

John liked chocolates very much, but his mother never gave him any, because they were bad for his teeth, she thought. But .)ohn had a very nice grandfather. The old man loved his grandaon very much, and sometimes he brought John chocolates when he. came to visit him. Then his mother let him eat them, because she wanted to make the old man happy.
  One evening , a few days before John's seventh birthday , he was saying his prayers in his bedroom before he went to bed. "Please, God," he shouted, "make them give me a big box of chocolates for my birthday on Saturday. "
  His mother was in the kitchen, but she heard the small boy shouting and went into his bedroom quickly.
  "Why are you shouting, John?" she asked her son. "God can hear you when you talk quietly. "
  "I know," answered the clever boy with a smile, "but Grandfather's in the next room, and he can't. "

Text B

You Are Too Young to Buy Alcohol

Later that day, Steve told the group that he had decided to go back to Edinburgh. "I want to see the rest of the Festival, " he explained. That evening, they all went to a pub for a final drink with Steve. They left a . message for Malc : GONE TO THE WHITE HORSE. SEE YOU THERE!
  Malc arrived back quite late. He went round to the pub immediately. He was feeling very pleased with himself.
BILL: How did it go, then?
MALC: Oh, fantastic! I took some really good photographs. I'm sure I shall win that  
    competition.
LIsE: Well , you'd better buy us all a drink , then !
MALC: Yes... What would you all like?
    (Malc goes to the bar)
    I'd like four pints of best bitter... oh, and two lagers and lime.
BARMAN: ... Oh, excuse me, sir. How old are you?
MALC: Sixteen. Why?
BARMAN: Well, I'm afraid you're too young to buy alcohol. You have to be eighteen, you know.

Question on Text B

7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the atory to your partner.

An artist went to a beautiful part of the country for a holiday, and stayed with a farmer. Every day he went out with his paints and his brushes and painted from morning to evening, and then when it got dark, he went back to the farm and had a good dinner before he went to bed.
  At the end of his holiday he wanted to pay the farmer, but the farmer said, "No, I do not want money - but give me one of your pictures. What is money? In a week it will all be finished, but your painting will still be here. "
  The artist was very pleased and thanked the farmer for saying such kind things about his paintings.
  The farmer smiled and answered, "It is not that. I have a son in London. He wanta to become an artist. When he comes here next month, I will show him your picture, and then he will not want to be an artist any more, I think. "

竹影无风 2004-05-15 19:32
Lesson 14

Text A

They Don't Talk

Mr Jones was very angry with his wife, and she was very angry with her husband. For several days they did not speak to each other at a11. One evening Mr Jones was very tired when he came back from work, so he went to bed soon after dinner. Of course , he did not say anything to Mrs Jones before he went upstairs. Mrs Jones washed the dinner things and then did some sewing. When she went up to bed much later than her husband, she found a piece of aper on the small table near her bed. On it were the words,"Mother. - Wake me up at 7 a. m. -Father"
  When Mr Jones woke up the next morning, it was nearly 8 a. m. -and on the small table near his bed he saw another piece of paper. He took it and read these words: "Father. - Wake up. It is 7 a.m.-Mother. "

Text B
                        A Dirty Car

John, Peter and Mark are hrothers. Their father has a new car, and they clean it for him. It has just rained, and the car is very dirty. John is looking at it, and he is talking to Peter. JOHN:
  The car hasn't been cleaned for a few days.

PETERL:
  No , it hasn't . It's very dirty.

JoHN:
  Someone ought to clean it today.

PETER:
  Mark should clean it . It's his turn.

JOHN:
  No, he cleaned it last time. It's your turn.

PETER:
  No, it isn't. You always clean it after Mark.

JoHN:
  Oh dear, is it really my turn? In that case, I'll clean tomorrow.

PETER:
  Clean it now. Only lazy people say they'll work tomorrow.

JoHN:
  Then I'll clean it the day after tomorrow.

PETER:
  You are lazy. You ought to be ashamed.?You should enjoy working

Question on Text B

Ellen walked briskly out into the yard and took a deep breath of cool, fresh air. She was   eager to begin work. This time of year, with the new growth everywhere. always made her feel that she had to help tbings grow. She gathered her tools and went to the patch of freshly turned earth and began.to dig rows of holes. Then she carefully picked up one fragile plant and ptaced it in a hole. Over and over she performed this same task and then gently patted the earth around each plant. Her growling stomach and the sun high,overhead told her when it was time to take a break.

竹影无风 2004-05-15 19:33
Lesson 15

Text A

A Welcome Surprise

Let's now visit Mary Miller. Mary and her mother are happy today. The postman has brought a letter from Mrs Miller's brother. He's coming to visit the Millers with his family. Mary and Mrs Miller have to plan meals and festivities. Mary offers to go shopping to help her mother. MRs McLLER:   Mary, please go to the door. I hear the bell.
    MARY:   It's the mailman, Mother. Here's a letter from Uncle George.
MRS MILLER:   Give it to me ... How wonderful! He's coming to visit us.
    MARY:   When's he coming?
MRS MILLER:   He's coming by car on the twenty-fourth. He's staying from the
  twenty-fourth to the twenty-sixth.
    MARY:   Let me look at the calendar. Good! The twenty-fourth is a Saturday. Is he
  coming alone?
MRS MILLER:   No, he's coming with Aunt Cynthia and the girls.
    MARY:   Mother, I don't remember the girls. How old are they?
MRs MILLER:   Your cousin Fay is fifteen. Rosemary is older than Fay. She's seventeen.
MARY:   Are they going to stay here with us?
MRS MILLER:   Of course. The girls can stay in your room with you.
MARY:   Mother, may we have a party?
MRs MILLER:   If you like, but now we have to think about meals and many other things.
MARY:   Prepare the list, Mother. I can go shopping. I can go to the small stores.
  Everyone knows me there.

Text B

I'll Start in Three Months' Time

Rose left school when she was seventeen and went to a college for a year to learn to type. She passed her examinations quite well and then went to look for work. She was still living with her parents.
  A lot of people were looking for typists at that time, so it was not difficult to find interesting work. Rose went to several offices, and then chose one of them. It was near her parents' house. She thought, "I'll walk there every morning. I won't need to go by bus. "
  She went to the office again and said to the manager, "I want to work here, but what will you pay me?"
  "We'll pay you 27 pounds now," the manager answered, "and 30 pounds after three months."
  Rose thought for a few seconds before she answered. Then she said, "All right, then I'll start in three months' time. "

Questions on Text B

What a Language!

First Frenchman: I once heard someone shout, "Look out." I put my head out of a window and a bucketful of water fsll on me. It seems that "look out" may mean "don't look out. "
Second F: I was once on a ship and heard the captain shout, "All hands on deck. " I put my hands on the deck and someone walked on them. .
  Third F: I once called early on an English friend and the maid who came to the door said, "He's not up yet. Come back in half an hour. " When I went again for him, she said, "He's not down yet. " I said , "If he's not up and he's not down, where is he?" She said, "He's still in bed. When I say 'He's not up' I mean he has not yet got np,so he has not yet come downstairs."
  What do these phrases mean in their respective contexts?

竹影无风 2004-05-16 16:16
Lesson 16

Text A

The Charcoal Pit
  Erika was worried. Her restaurant was losing customers. The new restaurant across the street now had more customers than she did. She had even seen some of her own customers going to eat at The Charcoal Pit. What was she going to do?
  One thing she could do was revise her menu. Maybe not everyone wanted hamburgers. She might add omelets and casseroles. The menu might help.
  Perhaps the decor of her restaurant was dated. She could redecorate the place. Erika decided to consult an interior decorator who could give her some new ideas. A face-lift for Burger Haven would certainly lift her spirits.
  In fact, she felt better after thinking of some improvements. Erika would fight to make her restaurant the most popular one in town.

Text B
                      There Is Hepe for Us !

Tina and Leela are talking to each other. They are standing outside a dance-hall and they are talking about dancing. TINA:   I haven't danced for a long time.
LEELA:   Neither have I.
TINA:   We must go to a dance soon, or we'll forget how to dance.
LEELA:   Yes, we must. What have you been doing since I last saw you?
TINA:   I've been studying hard for my examinations. And you?
LEELA:   I've been learning Japanese every evening.
TINA:   Why have you been learning Japanese? Why not English?
LEELA:   I hope to visit Japan next yesr.
TINA:   Well, we'll both have to start learning all the new dances.
LEELA:   Yes, let's go into the dance-hall and ask if we can take dancing-lessons .
TINA:   A good idea. They can teach elephants to dance nowa days perhaps there's hope for
  us !

Questions on Text B

When I looked out the window and saw the snow drift in the driveway, I thought to myself that I should never have gotten out of bed. I had been making preparatioris for more than two days for a large dinner party to bc held that night and knew that several of the people I was expecting to come would be calling to cancel if the snow continued much longer. I called upstairs to tell Jerry to look out the window. Jerry heard me and quickly got out of bed. He knew that the weather people had been predicting snow. Now it had really come. To Jerry, two or three inches of fresh snow would be just what was needed to make the ski trip a big success.

竹影无风 2004-05-16 16:17
Lesson 17

Text A

The Coustry Schoollhouse
  The country schooihouse was three miles from my uncle's farm. It stood in a clearing in the woods and would hold about twenty-five boys and girls. We attended the school° with more or less regularity once or twice a week in summer. We walked to it in the cool of the morning by the forest paths, and

back in the dusk at the end of the day. All the pupils brought their dinners in baskets-corn dodger, buttermilk, and other good things. We sat in the shade of the trees at noon and ate them. It is the part of my education which I look back upon with the most satisfaction. My first visit to the school was

when I was seven. A strapping girl of fifteen, in the customary sunbonnet and calico dress, asked me if I "used tobacco" -meaning did I chew it. I said no. It roused her scorn. She reported me to all the crowd , and said :
  "Here is a boy seven years old who can't chew tobacco. "

I learned to smoke fairly well , but that did not win over anybody. I remained a poor thing, and characterless. I longed to be respected, but I never was able to rise. Children have but little charity for one another's defect.

Text B

On a Camping Holiday
  Jimmy Booth and Donald Black are on a camping holiday. They have brought only a little food with them. Jimmy is hungry and he is looking at some rice in a tin. There is only a little rice in the tin. JIMMY:   There isn't much rice, is there?
DoNALD:   No, there isn't, but there are some vegetables.
JIMMY:   Are there any potatoes?
DONALD:   No, there aren't. I'm sorry.
JIMMY:   I'm very hungry, Donald. What can I eat?
DONALD:   There's a little bread and there are a few biscuits.
JIMMY:   But I want some rice and some meat.
DONALD:   All right, I'IL walk to the village and I'll get some meat.
JiMMY:   Good. By the way, who's going to cook the meat?
DoNALD:   You'll cook it of course!

Question on Text B

7. Read the foilowing dialogue once. Underline the key words while reading and retell to your partner the dialogue in your own words.
Peter:   Hello, Jim. What was the film like?
Jim:   Awful. It was a complete waste of time.
Peter:   Why? What was it about?
Jim:   It was about a married couple. They had to live with the wife's mother, because they
  didn't have enough money to buy a house of their own.
Peter:   A lot of young people have to do that.
Jim:   Yes. but the husband had to work overtime three times a week, so he was always tired.
Peter:   lt sounds like the story of my life.
jim:   Yes, it does, doesn't it? But this man was always over-tired, and he couldn't sleep.
  So he used to take two sleeping pitla every night.
Peter:   I take sleeping pills sometimes.
Jim:   Yes, but not two every night. Anyway, the strain was too much for him. He had a
  nervous breakdown and had to go to hoapital.
Peter:   It sounds a very depressing film.
Jim:   Not really. His wife was able to find a good job as an interpreter, because she rnuld
  speak French and German fluently. After a few months' work, she had a better job
  than y weher huaband. So in the end, there able to buy a house, and he didts't have
  to work any more. Stupid, wasn't it?
Peter:   I don't know. My wife used to speak French. I must tell her to brush it up.

竹影无风 2004-05-16 16:18
Lesson 18

Text A

Christmas Cards
  It mas two weeks before Christmas. and Mrs Smith was very busy. She bought a lot of Christmas cards to send to her friends and to her husband's friends, and put them on the table in the living-room. Then, when her husband came home from work, she said to him, "Here are the Christmas cards for our friends, and here are some stamps, a pen and our book of addresses.

WiII you please write the cards while I am cooking the dinner?"
  Mr Smith did not say anything , but walked out of the Iiving-room and went to his studys. Mrs Smith was very angry with hims , but did not say anything either.
  Then a minute later he came back with a box full of Christmas cards. All of them had addresses and stamps on them.
  "These are from last year," he said, "I forgot to post them. "

Text B

New Year Resolutions

Peter and John are admiring the Christmas decorations on the houses. Peter invites John to see the tree at his house, but , John can't go. He has to buy a present for his mother. Later the boys and Mary talk about New Year resolutions. Peter tells Mary about one she should make. Mary, as you will see, has a good answer for him.

PETER:
  I'm glad we live in a small town.

JOHN:
  Why?

PETER:
  Because the houses look so nice at Christmas time.

JoHN:
  Yes , they do. Do you have a Christmas tree this year?

PETER:
  Yes , we have a big tree this year. I bought the decorations at the five-and-ten-

centstorel?yesterday. Do you want to come and see it?
JoHN :
  I can't now because I have to buy a present for my mother.

PTEER:
  When can you come?

JoHN:
  I don't know when I can come. I'll let you know later.

MARY:
  Hi, boys. Are you going to make any New Year resolutions this year?

PETER:
  No, I never make any.

JOHN:
  I make them, but I break them the next day. Are you making any, Mary?

MARY:
  Yes, but I can't tell you what they are.

PETER:
  You'd better make Qne about losing 20 or 30 pounds.

MARY:
  Meanie! You'd better make one about saying nice things to girls.

Question on Text B

7. Read the following dialogue once. Underline the key words while reading and retell to your partner the dialogue in your own words.

Frank is very busy. He is talking to Jimmy, his best friend.
Jimmy: Did you play football yesterday?
Frank: Yes , I played with Tony and John.
Jimmy: What did you do after you'd played football?
Frank: We all went swimming.
Jimmy: Are you going swimming again this afternoon?
Frank: No , we aren't. We're going to help Mr Smith to plant some flowers.
Jimmy: Are you helping him all afternoon?
Frank: Yes, we are. We can neither play football nor do our homework today.
Jimmy: You're,going to be very busy.
Frank: Yes, we certainly are. But Mr Smith is going to pay us for all the work we'll do.

竹影无风 2004-05-16 16:18
Lesson 19

Text A

A Lesson to Learn
  John was the only son of a wealthy American businessman. Usually he was taken to school by the chauffeur in his father's beautiful car, before the chauffeur took John's father to his office. One evening his father told him that he had to go to the airport early the next day, so he would need the car at the time that John had to go to school. He said that John's mother, who possessed another car, would still be in bed at the time he had to leave the house .
  "Well , how will I get to school if you need your car and Mummy is still in bed?" John asked. His father thought this was a good opportunity to teach him a lesson about how hard life was for the less fortunate people of the world , so he answered , "You'll go in the same way as every other child in the world goes-in a taxi. "

Text B

What's Going on Here? PoLIcEMAN:   What's going on here?
MAN:   You mean, what's happening? Well, constable, I'm trying to get out of the window
  and Fred here is helping me.
PoLIcEMAN:   Why are you climbing through the window and not leaving by the front door?
MAN:   Well , you see I can't find the key and I'm in a hurry. Come on, Fied, We're
  wasting time.
POLICEMAN:   Just a minute you two. I don't think you're telling me the truth. This isn't your
  house, is it?
MAN:   No, it's my brother's. I'm staying with him for a while.
PoLIcEMAN:   Is he at home?
MAN:   I'm afraid not. He's in jail for house-breaking at the moment.

Question on Text B

Todd heard all the hammering behind the Marsey's house. He went to see what was going on. Jeff Marsey was making something from long pieces of wood.
  "What is it?" Todd asked.
  "A pair of stilts," Jeff said.
  Todd knew that stilts could make you several feet taller. Jeff was putting blocks of wood on the stilts. These were for his feet to rest on. Once you got used to them, you could walk anywhere on stilts.
  "I'm also making a pair of long pants," Jeff said. "They'll come all the way down and cover the stilts. I'll look like a giant. "
  As the summer went on, Todd forgot all about the stilts.
  One night Todd was watching television. His cousin came running in the front door. He'd never seen her so excited.
  "You'd better call the police , " she said.
  "Why?" asked Todd.
  "I was walking home," she said. "I looked up and saw a -a giant. He was following me. He wore big baggy pants. He was very stiff and straight. Each step was a huge step. I'm going to call the police. "
  "Wait," said Todd. "It wasn't a giant. You'll be surprised when I tell you who it was!"

竹影无风 2004-05-16 16:19
Lesson 20

Text A

Honesty
  A man went to an insurance office to have his life insured.
The manager of the office asked him how old his parents .were when they died.
  "Mother had a bad heart and died at the age of thirty. Father died of tuberculosis when he was thirty-five. "
  "I am very sorry," said the manager, "We cannot insure your life as your parents were not healthy. "
  As the man was leaving the office, depressed, he met a elerk who had overheard the conversation.
  "You must not be so frank and tell the truth," said the clerk, "no office will insure you if you speak like that. Use your imagination a little. "
  The man went to another office and was shown into the manager's room.
  "Well, young man, how old were your parents when they died?"
  "Mother was ninety-three, and she died from a fall off her bicycle. Father was ninety-eight and he died while he was playing football. "

Text B

Can You Deliver It?

MAN:   Can you deliver9 it, please'?
SALESwOMAN:   It depends where you live , sir.
MAN:   In Camden Town.
SALESwOMAN:   Yes, we deliver there. But it. costs two pounds fifty.
MAN:   All right. But I'm only in on Saturday.
SALESwOMAN:   Morning or afternoon?
MAN:   Afternoon, please, if that's possible.

Questions on Text B

They Are Here in My Hand !
  Mrs Williams loved flowers and had a small but beautiful garden. In the summer, her roses were always the best in her street. One summer afternoon her bell rang, and when she went to the front door, she saw a small boy outside. He was about seven years old,,and was holding a big bunch of beautiful roses in his hand.
  "I am selling roses", he said. "Do you want any? They are quite cheap. Five pence for a big bunch. They are fresh. I picked them this afternoon. "
  "My boy,"Mrs Williams answered, "I pick roses whenever I want, and don't pay anything for them, because I have lots in my garden. "
  "Oh , no , you haven't , " said the small boy. "There aren't any roses in your garden - because t.hey are here in my hand!"

竹影无风 2004-05-17 19:35
Lesson 21

Text A

Bill Is Very Rude

Bill is in Victor's house and he is sitting down. He is leaning back and he has put his feet on the table. Bill is very rude.   VICTOR:
  Would you mind° taking your feet off the table, Bill?

BILL:
  Not at all. But I was very comfortable.

VICTOR:
  Do you put your feet on your own table?

BILL:
  No, I never do that.

VICTOR:
  Why not?

BILL:
  I don't want to mark my table, of course.

VICTOR:
  Well, will you please avoid marking mine?

BILL:
  I'm sorry. I thought you were going to buy a new table soon.

VICTOR:
  I hope to buy a new table, but I have to sell my old one first.

BILL:
  Would you please tell me how much you want for it?

VICTOR:
  How much do you think it's worth?

BILL:
  Not much. It's badly marked. I'll give you ten dollars for it.

Text B

The Phone Rang Again
  Mrs Moore had worked hard all day at the office, and she was looking forward to a relaxing evening at home.
  Just as she walked in the door, the telephone began to ring. She dashed to answer the phone and found that the caller was a man trying to sell her some light bulbs. She refused and hung up the phone.
  She smelled dinner cooking and went in to see how her children were getting along with the meal. Everything was ready except setting the table, so Mrs Moore went upstairs to change clothes.
  Just as she reached the head of the stairs, the telephone rang again. When Mrs Moore answered it, she found out that her husband wouldn't be home for dinner.
  After she changed clothes , she went back downstairs to eat. During dinner, the phone rang twice. Her sister called to ask about the familyzs, and a group wanted her to do some volunteer work. She and the children finished dinner and began cleaning up the kitchen. The phone rang again. The neighbours wanted to borrow the garden hose.°.
  After the kitchen was cleaned . Mrs Moore sat down with a sigh to read while the children did their homework. The phone rang again.
  Without even answering it, Mrs Moore called to her children, "Get ready, we're all going to a movie. "
  "Great! But why?"
  "It seems that's the only way we can get away from this telephone. "

Questions on Text B

Billy's motorcycle shone in the afternoon sun and caught Billy's reflection in the fender. He had worked all summer to save enough money for this ?bike and it was his -all his. He strapped on his helmet, slid the new black leather gloves over his hands, then threw one leg over the vinyl seat. There was a roar of the engine as he kicked it into motion, and suddenly there he was, speeding down the street on his motorcycle.
  Billy's little brother, Tommy, watched solemnly from the front door. Tommy was only eight years old, but eight was old enough, he thought, for someone to have his very own motorcycle. It didn't seem fair that Billy had a bike and Tommy didn't. So Tommy sat on the front porch, ate his candy bar, and brooded over the matter as he watched Billy slide around the corner. All he wanted was just one ride.
  When Billy discovered his bike missing the next morning, there was a widespread investigation by the police, his parents, and the neighbours. No one had seen the bike since the day before. As Billy walked off down the sidewalk, heading for the schoo( bus, his attention was attracted by something black glaring at him from under a hedge. He approached slowly, then suddenly broke into a run. There under the hedge was his motorcycle with one badly dented fender.
  He reached for the handlebars to pull it from under the bushes. When he retracted his hand, there was a familiar sticky substance on his fingers. Tasting the brown sweetness, Billy smiled secretly to himself. He knew he had discovered who had taken his motorcycle for a spin.

竹影无风 2004-05-17 19:36
Lesson 22

Text A

If I Don't Do Anything Else
  Yesterday morning Paul said to himself. "I've got to write that economics paper today. If I don't do anything else, I've got to write that paper. "
  He sat down at his desk and put a sheet. of paper into his typewriter. He looked out of the window, ate a piece of candy, got up to get a drink of water, brushed his teeth, and sat down at his desk again.

"I haven't written my family since Thanksgiving," he said to himself. "I'll write them a letter first. "
  Paul wrote his family a long letter. "My typewriter needs a new ribbon. I've got to change this ribbon before I write my
economics paper."

The ink from the typewriter ribbon got his hands very dirty, so he washed them and washed them. While he was washing his hands, he noticed that his fingernails were much too long. He cut them very carefully and then went back to his desk. He put a sheet of paper into his typewriter . looked out of the wiudow, and looked at his watch. It was noon.
  "I'll get some lunch now,".he said to himself. "After lunch I'll write that paper, if I don't do anything else. "

Text B

I'll Find My Way

The day of Uncle George's arrival is here. Everything is ready, but Uncle George and his family haven't arrived. Uncle George can't find his way to the Miller home. Mrs Miller gives him specific directions on the telephone. MRS MILI.ER:   Please answer the telephone, Mary.
MARY:   Hello. Uncle George? Where are you? Wait a minute, please. I'll call Mother.
  Mother,it's Uncle George.
MRs MII.I.ER:   George, dear. Where are you? At the corner of Pine and State 5treet? Wait
  there. Michael can come and get you.
UNCLE GEORGE:   No. It's not necessary. We drove the car. Give me the directions. I'll find my
  way.
MRS MILLER:   Go north on State Street to Main Street. There's a large statue there. Turn
  left. Continue to Grove Avenue. Turn right. Continue on Grove Avenue to
  Seventh Street.Turn left. We're in the middle of the block. Can you repeat
  the directions, George?
UNCLE GEORGE:   I think so. I have to go north on State Street to Main Street. I turn left to
  Grove Avenue. I continue on Grove Avenue. I turn right. I continue on Grove
  Avenue to Seventh Street. I turn left and go to the middle of the block.
MRs MILLER:   That's it. I'll see you soon, George. Mary, is the table set?
MARY:   Yes, Mother. Come and look.
MRs MILLER:   It looks very pretty. Thank you, Mary.

Questions on Text B

7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading
and retell the story to your partner.

A Break in the Routine
  Jonathan Rivers lived alone in a neat, two-storey, semi-detached house
in Compton Street. Like many bachelors approaching middle age, be was getting rather set in his ways. He caught the same train to London every morning, ate his lunch in the same crowded restaurant near the office where he worked and always came home on the 6. 00 train. People were so used to seeing Jonathan set off at a quarter past eight, dressed in a. sjmple dark suit. wearing a black bowler hat and carrying a rolled umbrella on his arm, that they said you didn't need to wear a watch if you lived in Compton Street.

Ever since Jonathan had set up house in Compton Street, he had looked after it very carefully. He worked hard in the garden every Sunday and set out to impress the neighbours with his flower beds and lawn. Before he left the house in the mornings, he carefully closed all the doors downstairs, opened some windows to let the air in and locked the front door. Everything Jonathan did was tidy and systematic.

One summer evening Jonathan returned home as usual at five minutes to seven precisely.When he opened the front gate he immediately noticed something strange. There was a heavy footprint in the earth in one of the ftower beds. Jonathan was just going to blame the milkman or the postman when he noticed that one of the white lace curtains in the front room downstairs was out of place. Jonathan never left anything out of place.

He walked up to the front door and opened it quietly. He listened carefully for a few moments but could hear nothing. The front-room door was halt-open. Jonathan studied it thoughtfully, wondering if he had forgotten to close it that morning. He had never forgotten before. He stepped silently across the hall to the door and looked inside the room. The shadow of a man was clearly reflected on the far wall in the evening sunlight. He had obvioasly been standing behind the door since Jonathan's return. ]onathan grabbed the door-handle, sla;nmed' the door and turned the key. Then he calmly picked up the telephone in the hall and set about calling the police.

The burglar, a tall, thick-set, bearded fellow, tried to climb through a window to get out but )onathan had expected'that. He set about him with his umbrella, using it like a swoid. Three minutes later the police arrived on the scene. Jonathan was a little annoyed that he had to have dinner laterthan usual but on the whole he felt quite pleased with himself.

竹影无风 2004-05-17 19:36
Lesson 23

Text A

Would You Like a Shave or a Haircut?
  A poor farmer who had always lived in the country and had never visited a big town won a lot of money, so he decided that he could now afford a holiday in an excellent hotel by the sea.
  When lunch-time came on his first day there, he decided to go and eat in the restaurant of the hotel. The head waiter showed him to his table, took his order and went away. When he looked at the farmer again, he had a surprise! The farmer had
tied his table napkin round his neck.
  The head waiter was very annoyed at this and immediately told one of the other waiters in the restaurant to go to the man and inform him, without being in any way insulting, that people
did not do such a thing in restaurants of that quality.
  The waiter went to the farmer and said in a friendly voice, "Good morning, sir. Would you like a shave, or a haircut?"

Text B

What Do the Romans Do?

MR TURNBULL:   When in Rome, do as the Romans do, they say.
MRs TuRNBULL:   What do the Romans do?
MR TURNBULL:   They live in Rome , of course , and go to work by car
  or bus. But sometimes it takes too long that wayl because of
  the traffic jams, so they walk.
MRS TURNBULL:   In other words , the Romans do what everyone else does.
MR TURNBULL:   Yes, but they do it differently. Everything is different.
MRs TURNBULL:   What do you mean?
MR TURNBULL:   Well, the climate's different for a start. It doesn't rain so
  much as it does in England. The sun shines more often.
MRs TURNBULL:   I envy them the sun.
MR TURNBULL:   I know. You hate the rain, don't you?
MRs TURNBuLL:   I certainly do.
MR TuRnBuLL:   And a Roman really Ioves life. Eie knows how to enjoy himself.
MRs TuRNsuLL:   They always eat spaghetti and drink wine, don't they?
MR TURNBULL:   Not always. But they like a good meal. Lots of tourists go to Rome
  just for the food, you know.
MRS TURNBULL:   Really? How much does it cost to fly to Rome?
MR TURNBULI:   I don't know exactly, but it costs a lot oi money.

Question on Text B

7. Read the following conversation once. Underline the key words and retell to your partner the dialogue in your own words.

Mrs Smith Meets Mrs Turnbull Mrs Smith:   Hello, Mrs Turnbull. How are you?
Mrs Turnbull:   Fine, thanks. How's your boy, Jack?
Mrs Smith:   He's a bit tired. You know, he goes to school at eight o'clock every morning.
  He doesn't get home till after four. then he does his homework after tea. It
  often takes him a couple of hours to finish it.
Mrs Turnbull:   Poor boy. They work hard at school nowadays, don't they? Does he like it?
Mrs Smith:   School, you mean? Yes, he does. He likes his teachers, and that always makes a
  difference.
Mrs Turnbull:   Yes, it does. Does he go to school by bus?
Mrs Smith:   No, he walks. He likes walking. He meets some of his friends at the corner and
  they go together.
Mrs Turnbull:   What does he do when it rains?
Mrs Smith:   My husband takes him in the car. He passes the school on the way to the office.

竹影无风 2004-05-17 19:37
Lesson 24

Text A

Many people like to decorate their houses at Christmas time. They decorate the inside of the house and the outside too. Inside they usually decorate a Christmas tree and the fireplace,
if there is one. Outside they place wreaths, ribbons,and coloured lightson the door and windows. If there is a tree in front of their house, they place olored lights on it too.

In New York City, there is a very tall, beautifully decorated
Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center at Christmas time. In Washington, there is also a big decorated tree in front of the White House. People come from many cities to admir the trees and the gaily decorated store windows on the principal avenues
of large cities.

Text B

What Do You Do After Work? PETER:   Hello, Jim. Where are you going?
JIM:   To the cinema. What about coming with me?
PETER:   No, thanks. I'm going home. My wife's expecting me.
JIM:   What a pity. I believe it's a very good film.
PETER:   Do you go to the cinema a lot?
JIM:   Once a week. Most nights I sit at home and watch telly
PETER:   Do you know what's on tonight by any chance?
JtM:   No, I'm sorry I don't. I never read the papers till I get home.
PETER:   Oh, I see. By the way, where are you going for your holidays this year?
JIM:   I don't know yet. My wife's going to her mother's for a couple of weeks. She lives
  by the sea, you know.
PETER:   Oh , does she? That's convenient.
JIM:   Yes, but I want to go to the country.
PETER:   Don't you like the sea?
JIM:   Yes , very much. But I need peace and quiet when I'm on holiday. What are you
  going to do?

PETER:   I'm going to stay at home.
J1M:   Aren't you going to have a holiday abroad this year?
PETER:   No , I want to buy a car , and that's going to take every penny I've got.

Question on Text B

Going to the Theater
  If you want to be certain of seeing a play in London, you have to book your seat in advance. You can buy your tickets either at a Theatre Ticket Agency or at the Box Office in the theatre itself. tt is very rarely that you will be lucky enough to get a ticket five minutes before the play begins.

If you go in a large party it is not always possible for all of you to sit in the same part of the theatre. Some will have to sit in the Stalls, others in the Dress Circle and some in the Upper Circie. These seats are the least expensive of the three. Seats in a Box or the Front Stalls are the most expensive.

竹影无风 2004-05-17 19:37
Lesson 25

Text A

A Ten-Dollar Bill

Sam waited patiently in the long line at the grocery store. He had come to pick up a few items for his mother. He often did Chores for his parents after school. He enjoyed helping out at Homes, As he waited, he daydreamed about the new camera he Wanted to buy. He wanted to buy it soon because his family v'as ;oing on a vacation, and he wanted. to take pictures of their trip. There was only one problem. He needed seven more dollars to huy the camera. His lawn-mowing job at the Smith's should provide the money shortly.

Suddenly Sam was roughly shoved aside. He recognized Mrs Sanders, an unkind and unfriendly person who lived on his block. She had shoved in front of him without even smiling. Just as Mrs Sanders received her change and her purchases, a ten-dollar bill flew out of her hand and fell at Sam's feet. Mrs Sanders, however, was too busy criticizing the cashier for bis slowness to notice. As Sam bent to pick up the money, he thought quickly. The money did belong to Mrs Sanders, but she deserved to lose it after the way she had behaved, and, with it, he could buy the camera.

Text B

A Baby-sitter

Colin is talking to Jack about yesterday evening. Jack went out, but Colin had to stay at home. JACK:   Why did your parents make you stay at home?
CoLIN:   They wanted to go out , and so they made me look aftermy baby brother.
JACK:
  Didn't you mind doing it?
COLIN:   No, I didn't. My brother was very good and I did quite a lot of homework.
JACK:   Didn't you even want to go to the cinema?  
COLIN:   Not really. I watched television for an hour.  
JACK:   What was on television last night?  
CoLIN:   Boxing. It was excellent.
JAcK:   Oh. I enjoy watching boxing on television, too.
  What a pity I missed it last night!
CoLIN:   What did you do last night?
JACK:   I went to a boxing-match in the sports stadium.

Question on Text B

Miss Green was very fat. She weighed 100 kilos, and she was getting heavier every month , so she went to see her doctor. , He said, "You need a diet, Miss Green, and I've got a good one here. "
  He gave her a small book and said, "Read this carefully and eat the things on page 11 every day. Then come back and see me in two weeks' time. "

Miss Green came again two weeks later, but she wasn't thinner; she was fatter. The doctor was surprised and said, "Are you eating the things on page 11 of the small book?"
  "Yes , doctor , she answered.
  The next day the doctor visited Miss Green during her dinner. She was very surprised to see him.
  "Miss Green," he said, "Why are you eating potatoes and bread? They aren't in your diet. "
  "But, doctor," Miss Green answered, "I ate my diet at lunch time. This is my dinner.

竹影无风 2004-05-17 19:38
Lesson 26

Text A

What Are the Times of Meals?
  Mr and Mrs Williams had always spent their summer holidays
in England in the past , in a small boarding-house at the seaside. One year, however, Mr Williams made a lot of money in his business , so they decided to go to Rome and stay at a really good hotel while they went around and saw the sights of that famous city.

They flew to Rome, and arrived at their hotel late one evening. They expected that they would have to go to bed hun- gry, because in the boarding-houses they had been used to in the past, no meals were served after seven o'clock in the evening. They were therefore surprised when the clerk who received them in the hall of the hotel asked them whether they would be taking dinner there that night.

"Are you still serving dinner then?" asked Mrs Williams.
  "Yes, certainly, madam," answered the clerk. "We serve it until half-past nine. "
  "What are the times of meals then?" asked Mr Williams.
  "Well, sir," answered the clerk, "we serve breakfast from seven to half-past eleven in the morning, lunch from twelve to three in the afternoon, tea from four to five, and dinner from six to half-past nine. "
  "But that hardly leaves any time for us to see the sights of' Rome ! " said Mrs Williams in a disappointed voice.

Text B

The Food Is Bad

Lise, Nick and Bill had gone out walking for the day. Nick got back about six. "Haven't Bill and Lise arrived yet?" he asked. "I thought they were ahead of me. . . "
  It was 7. 30 when Bill and Lise came in. The others were just finishing supper. " Where on earth have you been?" Nick asked.

"We'll tell you all about it after supper," Bill said. "We'd better go and get our food. The warden's alreatly told us that we're late. . . "
  After supper, the group sat around talking.
STEVE:   Ugh ! The food here really is bad. My soup was cold. And the meat-huh! -it was like
  leather!
LtsE:   Yes, and they don't give you very much, either. I'm still hungry. Are hostels in
  England always as- badas this?
Anna:   I haven't stayed in one for ages. But I'm sure this
  one is especially bad. And the warden is so unpleasant. . .
MALC:   "Don't do this, don't do that. You mustn't do this, you can't do that. . . "
STEVE:   WEll, I'm going to write a letter of complaint. To the Secretary of the Youth
  Hostels Association!
LIsE:   And we'll all help you. . .

Questions on Text B

A:   They don't really think you took it, do they?
B:   1 don't know. I just know I've never been asked so many questions in my life.
A:   How many of them were there?
B:   Three-but there was one of them who kept asking really stupid questions.
A:   Like what?
B:   Oh, he wanted to know what time I got up this morning and if I bad a bath or a
  shower - you know, things like that.
A:   What on earth has that got to do with some money disappearing?
B:   I've no idea. Oh yes, and the most ridiculous thing. He asked me what I had for
  breakfast this morning.
A:   Oh well, that's it. They obviously think you're a desperate criminal and you have
  to steal to eat. I should think you'll get thirty years.
B:   Hmm. Tharik you very much.

竹影无风 2004-05-17 19:38
lesson 27

Text A

The Shopping List
  Mrs Black was having a lot of trouble with her skin, so she went to her doctor about it. He could not find anything wrong th her, however, so he sent her to the local hospital for tests. The hospital, of course, sent the results of the tests direct to Mrs Black's doctor, and the next morning he telephoned her to give her a list of the things that he thought she should not eat, any of thern might be the cause of her skin trouble.

Mrs Black carefully wrote all the things down on a piece of paper, which she then left beside the telephone while she went out to a ladies' meeting.
  When she got back home two hours later, she found her husband waiting for her. He had a big basket full of packages beside him, and when he saw her, he said, "Hullo, dear. I have done all your shopping for you."

"Done all my shopping?" she asked in surprise. "But how you know what I wanted?"
"Well, When I got home, I found your shopping list beside telephone , " answered her husband , "so I went down to the shops and bought everything you had written down. "
  Of course , Mrs Black had to tell him that he had bought all
the things the doctor did not allow her to eat!

Text B

Under a Terrible Strain
Betty and Jean are on their way to work.

BETTY:   What was the party like last night, Jean?
JEAN:   Not bad at all , thanks. There were one or two interesting people there.
  Why-couldn't you come?
BETTY:   Well, I couldn't get away from work early. And when. I got home I had a headache ,
  so I had to go straight to bed. But I was over-tired , because I wasn't able to
  get to sleep for hours.
JEAN:   What a shame. Why didn't you take a sleeping pill?
BETTY:   I don't like them. I used to take themƇ when I had to work overtime, you know.
JEAN:   How many did you use to take?
BETTY:   Three every night.
JEAN:   Good heavens. Why did you take so many?
BETTY:   Because I was under a terrible strain. The doctor said
  they weren't very strong. Anyway, I used to feel awful the next morning.
JEAN: I'm sure you did.
BETTY: The doctor said I had to be careful.
JEAN: He was quite right.
BETTY: So I stopped drinking coffee late at night instead.

Question on Text B

7.Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.

A Language Mix-Up
  Two young British tourists were travelling in France when a policeman stopped their car and gave it a search. He found a bag of whit.e powder which looked suspicious. "Drogue?" asked the heroin-conscious policeman. "Yes, dogs," they responded, and promptly found themselves in jail.
Analysis of the powder revealed that it was a chemical which gives off a smell , used to discourage dogs from using the sides of the car as a toilet. The tourists were set free, after promising to take a few French lessons before
their next vacation in France.

竹影无风 2004-05-17 19:39
Lesson 28

Text A

Where to Find a Listener
  Mr Adamson enjoys playing the violin in his leisure time. He is often carried away by his music. But it is a terrible time for his neighbours when Mr Adamson plays as he does so badly.
One day Mr Adamson sat by a window and began te play the violin as usual. Mr Adamson seems to be making noises instead of music. However, Mr Adamson was absorbed. Just then, some stones

were thrown out of the window under which Mr Adamson was sitting, but he did not pay attention to it. The "music" continued. After a little while, an empty bottle and a worn-out shoe were thrown out of the window too. Mr Adamson knew that this was not the place for him. The neighbours did not like his "music ". Mr Adamson was very sad. He was badly hurt. "Perhaps no living people can understand my music.I should go to a place where people may appreciate my works. " So he decided to go to a graveyard.

He came to a graveyard where there was no other sound ex cept the church to11. The yard was a Heaven'" where dead people
rest. Mr Adamson sat at a grave's and thought a lot, "I must do my best to show that my music is outstanding. " He was inspired and began to play his violin. Suddenly a barefoot stretched out from the grave amd gave Mr Adamson a kick which sent him flying. His treasured violin also dropped frum his hand. Mr Adamson felt very sad because his works was not accepted by anyone , not even the dead.

Text B

Don't Throw Paper on the Floor

Bill Davidson is throwing some paper on the floor. Miss Mead, his teacher, is looking at the paper. Mlss MEAD:   Don't throw paper on the floor, Bill.
BILL:   Where shall I put it, miss?
MISS ME.AD   Put it in the waste-paper basket, please.
BILL:   But Peter and Tony put all their paper in the basket a few .moments ago.
  Now it's full
MISS MEAD:   In that case, take the basket outside and empty it.
BILL:   Yes , m iss. (He takes the basket out of the room and returns with it a few
  moments later. )
MIss MEAD:   Where did you empty the basket, Bill?
BILL:   In the playground, miss.
MISS MEAD:   Silly boyo ! The dustbin is at the back of the school. Now pick up the paper
  and put it in the dustbiri.

Question on Text B

An Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman each owed a friend of theirs a pound. The man died. They agreed that their debts were debts of honour and must be paid, and that each one should go to the dead man's house, leave a pound and ask that it should be buried with him, as he had no relatives. The Englishman went and left a pound; so did the Irishman. The Scotsman went to the house, took the two pounds, wrote a cheque for three pounds and asked that it should be buried with the dead man.
  But the undertaker (the man who arranges funerals) was a Welshman. He found the cheque, cashed it and kept the money.

竹影无风 2004-05-17 19:39
Lesson 29

Text A

Some Sausage Sandwiches
  One morning last summer Mrs Andrews made some sausage sandwiches for her husband's lunch. There was one sausage left over. Mrs Andrews didn't care for sausages herself and so she gave the last one to Henry, their little dog. Henry ate it up q uickly.

During the morning the dog got ill. He wouldn't stop shaking his head and he couldn't stand up properly. Mrs Andrews thought, "He has eaten something that didn't agree with him. Maybe that sausage was bad. . . " She suddenly remembered her huusband's lunch. She ran to the telephone and called Jim at the office.

"Jim, I hope you haven't eaten any of those sandwiches yet. "
  "Yes, I have. . . "
  "You have? Well, listen- don't eat any more. I gave Henry the last sausage and now he's ill. Go to the doctor, Jim. Tell the doctor about the dog. Get some medicine at once. "
  Jim came home at lunchtime and went to bed. "I had a very wnpleasant hour with the doctor," he told his wife. "The medicine made me very sick." The next morning Jim was fine. Henry seemed quite well again too. At eleven o'clock the milkman came with the milk.

"Good morning, Mrs Andrews," The milkman said. "How's your dog this morning? I have been thinking about him. . . "
  "Have you?' Well, he seems alright now, but. . . "
  "Yesterday morning he and I had a little accident. He jumped up at .me and I dropped a bottle of milk on his head. "

Text B
Which of the Two ls Better? WOMAN:   Which of the two do you think is bctter? I mean , what's the difference between
  them?
SALESMAN:   Well... this one costs more, but it has a much better sound. This part of it is
  made of wood , not plastic. And there's a tone control" , too.
WOMAN:   I only want it for the kitchen. I like to listen to the news at breakfast time.
SALESMAN:   Hmm ... well, the other one is good for the money. It's much cheaper. We sell a
  lot of them and all our customers are satisfied with them.
Moman:   Hmm... I'd like the cheaper one, please. Can I pay hy cheque?
SAILESMAN:   Ceftainly.

Question on Text B

"Why Not Stop Her?"
  The ladies' club always had a meeting every Friday afternoon and some one came to talk to them about important things. After that, they had tea and asked questions.

One Friday, a gentleman came and talked to the club about food "There is not enough food in the world for everybody,"he said. "More than half the people in the world are hungry. And when they get more food, the have more babies, so they never stop being hungry. Somewhere in the world, a woman is having a baby every minute, day and night. What are we going to do about it?" He waited for a few seconds hefore he continued, but hefore he began to speak again, one of the ladies said, "Well, why don't we find that woman and stop her?"

竹影无风 2004-05-17 19:40
Lesson 30

Text A

The Bloody Thumb
  I met the old man at a cafe. I was a stranger in the town.
  "Did you hear the radio news yesterday?" he asked me.
  "I didn't," I said."Was there anything exciting?"
  "Exciting, no! It was important to me-and very, very sad.pack of hungry dogs killed and ate my best friend. "
  "Oh dear ! " I cried. "I am sorry. How did it happen?"

"He was working in his olive grove on the hilisides. The pack attacked him there. we'll never know all the facts , of curse. When he didn't return, I went to the grove and-"
  "You found the body?" I asked.
  The old fellow drank half his coffee. "The body?" he repeated."No, no. .I said they were hungry dogs, didn't I? The g bones were lying here and there in the grove. But I found this-" He pushed open a matchbox which he was holding in his

The box contained a man's thumb. It was lying on some hite, bloody material. There was a cut-an old cut-on the mmb nail.
  "See that cut," the man said. "I recognised it. This is my fiend's right thumb. The dogs ate the rest of him! "
  The old man began to cry then. He finished his coffee quick. ly and left the cafe. I drank mine and called the waiter.

"I'll pay the gentleman's bill," I said. "Please don't trou. ble him with it. His poor friend-how awful! You've heard the news?"
  The waiter laughed . "Yes. There's a hole in the bottom of the matchbox. He puts his own thumb through the hole. The 'blood' is red ink, I believe. Is the story worth a cup of coffee, sir?"

Text B                          

The Party

Claire Walton is working at home on a Sunday afternoor. The phone rings. It is an old friend. ClAiRE:   Hello.
MICK:   Hello, Claire. This is Mick.
CLAIRE:   Mick! Nice to hear from you again. How are you?
MtcK:   Fine, thanks. And you?
CLAIRE:   Oh , not so bad. I've been very busy , but I'm going
  away on holiday soon.
MICK:   Good. Listen. I'm phoning because I want to invite you to a party. At our new
  house. And. . .
CLAIRE:   New house? Really?
MIcK:   Yes. We've moved. That's why we're giving the pa ty. Can you come?
CLAIRE:   Well, that depends. When is it?
MIcK:   This Saturday evening.
CLAIRE:   Well. . . I'm going away on Sunday morning. Very ear ly. Will the party go on
  very late?
MICK:   Until two in the morning. But you don't have to si that long.Well? What about it?
CLAIRE:   All right. I'll come. But I'd like to bring a present Something for your new house.
  What would you like?
MICK:   Nothing. I mean, don't bring anything. It isn't necesary.
CLAIRE:   But I'd still like...
MICK:   Just bring yourself! I'm looking forward to seeing
  you again. It's been a long time !
CLAIRE:   Yes, it has. I'm looking forward to seeing you. too. and your new house. Uh. . .
  when does the party start?
MlcK:   Come any time after eight. All right? .
CLAIRE:   Yes. Oh. by the W..
MICK:   Bye! See you on Saturday evening.
CLAIRE:   Wait a moment , Mick. You haven't. . . Mick? Are you still there? You haven't
  given me your new address. Hello? Mick? Hello?

Question on Text B

7.Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and reteli the story to your partner.

There Are Some Things You Can't Get Away Without
  I have a confession to make, and the sooner it gets out in the open, the better I'll feel about. I don't drive a car.
  Americans are broad-minded people. they'll accept the fact that a person newspapercan be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even anewspaperman but if a man doesn't drive. therc is something wrong with him.

Through the years I've found it very embarrassing to admit it to anyand my best friends tend to view me with suspicion and contempt.
  But where I really run into. trouble is when I go into a stone and try to made a purchase with a check.
  It happend again last week when I went to a discount house at a large shopping center in maryland.Iwanted to buy a portable tyewriter,and the salesman was very helpful about showing me the different modeIs.

I decided on one, and then I said, "May I write out a personal check?"
  "Naturally, " he said kindly. "Do you have any identification?"
  "Of course," I said. I produced an American Express credit card, a Diner's Club credit card, a Bell Telephone credit card d i pass to the White House.
  The man inspected them all and then said,"Where's your driver's license?"
  "I don't. have one," I replied..
  "Did you lose it?"
  "No, I didn't lose it. I don't drive a car. "

He pushed a button under the cash register, and suddenly a floor manager came rushing over.
  The salesman had now become surly."Thes guy's trying to cash a checd, and he doesn't have a driver's license. Should I call the store detective?"
  "Wait a minute. I'll talk to him , " the manager said. "Did you lose your driver's license for some traffic offense?"

"No, I've never driven. I don't like to drive. "
  "Nobody likes to drive," the floor manager shouted. "That's no excuse. Why are you trying to cash a check if you don't have a driver's license?"

"I thought all the other identification was good enough," I explained. By this time the president of the store had arrived on the scene. Fortu nately, he recognized my name and okayed the check. He was very embarrassed by the treatment I had received and said, come on, I'll buy you a drink. "
  "I forgot to tell you," I said. "I don't drink either. "
  This was too much, even for him, and he pushed me toward the door.
  "Get out of here , " he said , "and don't come back ! "

竹影无风 2004-05-20 20:00
Lesson 31

Text A

A Difficult Customer
  Dolores works in a shop selling gramophone records. One afternoon a middle-aged woman came in, sat on a stool in front of the counter, and smiled at her brightly.
  "I want a record, dear," she began. "One I heard on the radios this morning. "

"What was the record called?" Dolores asked, without much hope. The woman shook her head.
  "I don't remember. I should know it if I. heard it , though. Perhaps if you play me a few records, I shall be able to pick it out. "
  She settled herself more comfortably on her stool.

"We have hundreds of records in stock, " Dolores pointed out. "It would take a very long time to play you even a little of each. Could you hum it to me?"
  The woman shook her head again. "I can't even sing the National Anthem in tune. We should only get into a complete muddle if I were to start humming. " She looked quite depressed, as if this reminder of her own lack of musical ability were the last straw. Then suddenly her face brightened.

"I've just remembered something," she said. "It comes from a play. There's a girl who speaks very badly, if you see what I mean. But after a time she learns to talk well.Some thing about --- what do you call it? Phonetics."
  This was enough for Dolores. "If you ask me, it's from 'My Fair Iady',?quot;" she said.
"That's it, dear. If you'd thought of it soonerr, we wouldn't have wasted so much time. I suppose you are new to the job."

TextB

That Hurts a Iot

Malc went to the Casualty Department of the hospital There he was examincd by the doctor. DOCTOR:   Right. Just take off your jacket and shirt. And lie down on that bed over there...
  That's right... Now, just hold up your right arm, will you?... Does this hurt?
MALC:   No.
DOCTOR:   And this?
MALC:   Yes. . . a bit. . . ouch !
DOCTOR:   And do you feel anything when I do this?
MALC:   Yes , that hurts quite a lot.
DOCTOR:   And you don't feel any 'pain anywhere else? In you legs , for example?
MALC:   NO, nothing.
DOCTOR:   Well , it's probably nothing serious. But I think we'd better have that shoulder
  X-rayed. We can't do the until the morning, though. So it'd be better if yo stayed
  in hospital for the night. . .

Question Text B

At the Doctor's Doctor   Good morning. How are you?
Patient   I'm very worried , doctor
Doctor   Oh? What are you worried about?
Patient   I'm afraid that I'm very ill.
Doctor   I'm sorry to hear that. Why do you think so?
Patient   Because I feel tired all the time, even when I wake up in the morning. I find
  it very difficult to do any work. I have no appetite. My wife cooks   me
  deliciousmeals but I can only eat a little.
Doctor   How do you sleep?
Patient   Very badly, doctor.
Doctor   Do you find it difficult to get to sleep, or do you wake up early?
Patient   Both, doctor. I never get to sleep until two o'clock and I always wake up at
  five.
Doctor   Are you worricd about anything?
Patient   Well , yes , I am. 1'm worried about my work. I've just taken a new job. I earn
  a lot of money but it's difficult work. I'm always afraid of making a mistake.
Doctor   I see. please take off your shirt and lie down on the couch.
Patient   Yes, doctor.(The doctor examines the patient )
Doctor   Well, there's nothing very much wrong with you, I'm glad to say. You're working
  too hard and worrying too much.Do you take much exercise?
Patient   No, doctor. I never have enough time for exercise. I start work very early in
  the morning and finish late in the evening. Then I can't get to sleep. Can
  you give me some medicine to help me to sleep?
Doctor   I can , but I'm not going to. You don't need medicine. You need advice. Don't
  work so hard. Too much work is bad for you. Don't worry about your work.
  It's silly to worry. Take regular exercise.
Patient   But I may lose my job, doctor! It's hard to get a job like mine.
Doctor   Then get an easier one, even if you earn less money. Which would you rather
  have, health or wealth?
Patient   You're right, doctor. It's more important to be healthy than wealthy. I'll
  change my job. I'm grateful for your advice.
Doctor   Come and see me again in a month's time. I think you'll be a different man!

竹影无风 2004-05-20 20:00
Lesson 32

Text A

A Pocketful of Pigs
  Once there was no money.
  If people wanted to get something , they had to give something. This is the way it used to be.
  "I will give you my cow for your pig," a man would say. "I'll give you my bowl if you give me a shirt," another would say.
  "Here are seven oranges for one fish. "

"Will you give mc a chicken for a bag of corn?"
People had to trade things every day. They had to give a thing to ge.t a thing because there wasn't any money.
  But they had to work out a good trade . one that came out
even..

What could you get for two chickens? Were thrce bags of apples a good trade for two bags of grapes? Or onc bag of apples for a little butter? What was an even trade? It was hard to know.
  And it was too hard to carry around all the thinga for trading. People had to use too much time getting things they needed. So they thought of a new way to trade.

They thought of money.
  Money could "stand for" apples, or bowls, or pigs.
  And a pocketful of money was better than a pocketful of pigs.
  With money, it was not so hard to trade. Everyone could use money. The man who needed a.pig could buy it with money. The man who sold the pig could keep the moyey until he needed something. People could work for money, and people buy things with the money they got from work.

Text B

Let's Play Chess

Mr Wilson and Mr Dawson arc watching some men playing chess.

MR WILSON:   Let's play chess.
MR DAWSON:   I haven't played chess for a long time.
MR WILSON:   That's all right, I'm a beginner. I've just learnt how to play.
MR DAWSON:   Look, there's a chessboard. Those two men have already finished playing.
MR WILSON (after they have played for a few minutes): You're a very good player
MR DAWSON:   Not really, but once I won a prize.
MR WILsoN:   So did I. I won a prize last week but it was a prize for beginners.
MR DAWSON:   My prize was for the hest player in the country. Now let's start playing chess
  seriously.

7. Read the following dialogue once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the dialogue to your partner in your own words.

Man:   I'm not satisfied with it.
Saleswoman:   Why not? What's wrong with it?
Man:   Sometimes it goes fast. And sometimes it goes slow. And the alarm doesn't
  work, either.
Saleswoman:   Would you like another one?
Man:   No. Can I have my money back? Saleswoman; Hmm... have you got a receipt?
Man:   A receipt?
Saleswoman:   Yes. I must see your receipt. You can't have your money back without a
  receipt.
Man   Oh, I'm not certain, but I think I've lost it.

竹影无风 2004-05-20 20:01
Lesson 33
                            Text A

We Are Not Deaf !

Jane and Lise have had lunch with Uncle David and Aunt Janet. The two old people are deaf , and the girls are tired be- cause they have had to shout. They both want to leave. LISE:   We'll have to leave soon, Aunt Janet.
ANET JANET:   Yes , of course you can have some tea , dear. I'll go and make some.
JANE:   Oh no, Lise. Stop her! You'd better say it louder.
LISE:   WE'LL HAVE TO LEAVE, AUNT JANET.
UNCLE DAVID:   You can't leave yet. I want to hear some more about Canada.
LISE:   But I must go back and look after Malcolm. Oh dear, thhear. I MUST GO BACK
  AND LOOK AFTER MALCOLM.
AUNT JANET:   Why, what's the matter with him?
LISE:   I TOLD YOU, AUNT JANET. HE ISN'T WELI..
AUNT JANET:   But I thought you said he was in the hotel. Where are you staying?
LISE:   We'rc camping. . . WE'RE CAMPING.
AUNT JANET:   In this weather? Well, I'm not surprised Malcolm isn't well. Perhaps I ought
  to come out and wee him.
LISE (firmly):   NO, THAT'S NOT A CJOOD IDEA, AUNTIE. HE'S ILL.
UNCLE DAVID:   What's the matter with him?
LISE:   He's got a cold.
JANE:   He's got a temperature.
LISE:   Oh, what's the use? HE'S GOT A COLD.
UNCLE DAvID:   All right , all right , we can hear. We're not deaf!

Text B

The Stolen Smells
  Many years ago in another country there lived a poor student.He had vcry little money. He lived in a very small room over a restaurant? His room was at the back of the building over the kitchen. The restaurant owner was a very mean man. Nobody liked him. But he was a good cook and many people came to his restaurant.

One day he was working quietly in his kitchen when he heard the poor student talking to his friend."You must be very unhappy, said his friend, `living in a poor room like this.
  "Oh no." said the student, "I am busy with my studies and I'm not interested in my room.
  "But you only cat plain rice - you don't have money for anything tasty "
  "Yes, it's true, I eat only plain rice. But the delicious smells that come from the kitchen make thc rice very tasty indeed. "

The restaurant owner was furious. This student was stealing the smells from his kit.chen. He decided to tatke him to court.
  Everybody in the court laughed whcn the me; n man accuset thc student of stealing hi.s smells'. But thc judge took him seriously."Every man should be able to complain to the court ." he said.
  When the restaurant owvner told the judgc everything. the judge said , "You are right. The student is guiltv. " The reataurant owner waa delighted, but the poor student was vcry much . afraid. What could he do? He had only a few coina in his pocket.

The judge asked the studcnt if he had any money. The student took 5 coins from his pockct and held them out to the judge in his right hand.
  "Let the coins fall into your left hand," said the judge.
The courtroom was very quiet. Everyone heard the tinkle of the coins as they fell into the student's left hand.
  "Well," said the judge to the restaurant owner, "you've heard his money. You've been well paid for your smells. "

A Bad Student
  Peter's father wants to know how his son is getting along in school. One day he asks him;
  "Peter, how are you getting along in school? What seat do you have in the class? Does the teacher place you in seats according to your marks?"

"Yes, father. "
  "And what seat do you have?" "Number twenty-one. "
  "And how many students are there in your class?" "Twenty-one, father. "
  Several weeks pass. Peter, who is a bad student and studies very little, brings home the marks of his monthly examinations.

"How are you getting along in school now, Peter?" asks his father. "Your marks do not seem to be very good. "
  "I am getting along much better now, father. " "What is your place in the class now?"
  "Number twenty now. "
  "Good. Then you are one place ahead. "
  "No, father. One of the students left the class. His family moved to another town. "

竹影无风 2004-05-20 20:01
Lesson 34

Text A

Stage Fright
  Tom was sick with disappointment. The piano recital ha.d turned out well, all except for his solo. He couldn't understand how it could have happened.
  He had practised for weeks that seemed like months. He had given up sports until after the recital because he wanted to make his parents proud of him. He spent all his time with the pi

His teacher had said he was gifted. It was true that he accepted music as another language, another way to talk to people.
  His grandparents, aunt, and uncle all came to hear him play, and he was anxious to show them that he was the best in the whole class.

But, when he stood up to go to the piano, his knees felt weak. He looked into the audience and saw his family smiling back at him.
  His mouth went dry. His fingers began to tremble. The trembling became uncontrollable shaking as though he had caught a bad cold.

He sat down at the piano. He took a deep breath. He played the first five bars of his music , then realized with horror that he had forgotten thc rest. He started over. thinking that would help. It didn't.
  He stood up as if in slow motion and walked offf the st age. He was a failure. The demon stage fright had left a brilliant musical career in ruins.

Text B

I Shall Never Fly Again
  Tom Jackson and Charles Brown are talking about ttheir summer holidays. TOM:   Where are you going for your holidays , Charles ?
CHARLES:   To Australia. I'm going to visit my uncle in Brisbane for three weeks.
TOM:   Good gracious! You certainly are lucky. How are you going there?
CHARLES:   By air, of course. It takes over two weeks to go by sea.
TOM:   I once went to Singa pore by air. It was very exciting-but never agaim'.
CHARLES:   Why? Did you feel frightcned?
TOM:   For a short time. One of the engines caught fire.
CHARLES:   What did thc pilot do?
TOM:   He put it out and flew back to the airport. Then he asked the pcople at the
  airport where the emergency runway was.
CHARLES:   Did you land safely ?
TOM:   Yes, we did. But I shall never fly again.

It was a dark day when we got our report cards Thesky was full of gray clouds and it was sprinkling rain. I was over to Clyde's house and Gloria and Kitty were there. Sam probably would hade been there, too, only he had got a two-week job in the afternoons helping out at Freddie's. actually he only did it so that his mother would let him be on the track team again. Sam and his mother had this little system going He would do something
good-doing and she'd let him do something that he wanted to.

Clyde's report card was on the kitchen table and we all sat around it like it was some kind of a big important document. I had got a pretty good report card and had wanted to show it off but I knew it wasn't the time. Clyde pushed the card toward me and I read it. He had all satisfactory remarks on the side labeled Personal Traits and Behavior. He had also received B's in . music and art appreciation. But everything else was either a C or a D except mathematics. His mathematics mark was a big red F that had been circled. I don't know why they had to circle the F when it was the only red mark on the card. In the Teacher's Comments section someone had written that Clyde had "little ability to handle an academic program. "

"A little ability is better than none," I said. No one said anything so I figured it probably wasn't the right. time to try to cheer Clyde up.
  I knew all about his switching from a commercial program to an academic program, but I really hadn't thought he'd have any trouble.

"I saw the grade adviser today. He said I should switch back to the commercial program. " Clyde looked like he'd start crying any minute. His eyes were red and his voice was shaky. "He said that I had to take mathematics over and if I failed again or failed another required subject 1 couldn't graduate. The way it is now I'm going to have to finish up in the summer because I switched over. "
  "I think you can pass it if you really want to," Kitty said. Clyde's sister was so pretty I couldn't even look at her. If I did, I started feeling funny and couldn't talk right. Sometimes I daydreamed about marrying her.

Just then Clyde's mother came in and he gave a quick look at Kitty.
  "Hi, young ladies and young gentlemen. " Mrs. Jones was a kind of heavy woman but she was pretty, too. You could tell she was Kitty's mother if you looked close. She put her packagege down and started taking things out. "I heard you pcople talking whcas I first came in. By the way you hushed up I guess you don't want me to hear what you were talking about. I'll be out of your way in a minute, soon as I put the frozen foods in the refrigerator. "

"I got my report card today," Clyde said. His mother stopped taking
the food out and turned toward us. Clyde pushed the report card about two inches toward her. She really didn't even have to look at the card to know that it was bad. She could have told that just by looking at Clyde. But she picked it up and looked' at it a long time. First she looked at one side and then the other and then back at t.he first side again.

"What they say around the school?" she asked, still looking at the card. "They said I should drop the academic course and go back to the other one. " I could hardly hear Clyde , he spoke so low.
  "Well, what are you going to do, young man She looked u at Clyde and Clyde looked up at her and there were tears in his eyes and I almost started crying. I can't stand to see my friends cry. "What are you going to do, Mr. Jones?"

"I'm -I'm going to keep the academic course," Clyde said.
  "You think it's going to be any easier this time?" Mrs.Jones asked.
  "No. "
  "Things ain't always easy. Lord knows that things ain't always easy. " For a minute there was a faraway look in her eyes, but then her face turned into a big smile. "You're just like your father, boy. That man never would give up on anything he really wanted. Did I ever tell you the time he was trying to learn to play the trombone?"

"No. "Clyde still had tears in his eyes but he was smiling, too. Suddenly everybody was happy. It was like seeing a rainbow when it was still raining.

竹影无风 2004-05-20 20:02
Lesson 35

Text A

A Proud Linguist
  Once upon a time there was an Austrian emperor who made it a rule to interview every one of his soldiers once a year. During the interviews he invariably asked three questions- "How old are'you?", "How long have you been in my army?" and "Are you satisfied with your pay and the food you get?" -in that order.

One year, the day before the imperial interviews, a Frenchman got himself enlisted in the Austrian army. Since he knew no German he was on tenterhooks. Now there was an old soldier in his unit who knew a little French and was anxious to help. In fact he knew just about enough French to be able to teach his young friend the shortest possible answers, in the proper order , to the imperial questions.

The day arrived with all the sound and colour that befitted it. The Emperor in all his splendour was seated on the throne, his entourage attending respectfully in. the background. The soldiers filed past him, each taking barely half a minute during which time the questions were asked and the answers reverently provided.

When the Frenchman's turn came, far from being nerous he was sure of himself, havi.ng recited the answers, in the proper order, he did not know how many times. The Emperor looked at him long and hard and suddenly took it into his head that he had seen the young man somewhere before. He began, a little out of the usual order, with the second question;

"How long have you been in my army ?"
  "Twenty-one years , " replied the Frenchman , not without some pride in his ability to learn a foreign language so quickly and so well.
  The monarch was surprised, for the young man did not look very much older than that , but he went on to ask:
  "Then how old are you?"
  "One day," came the answer.
  That was too much for the Emperor, who sat back and muttered .
  "Well , well. That beats me. It seems either you're mad or I am. "
  Positive that that was the last of the imperial questions, the proud linguist stepped forward and with a smile said:
  "Both, your majesty. "

Text B

What Am I Going to Do?

Mr Davidson is standing outside his house. He has forgotten to bring his key with him. Henry Black and John Field walk past and they say "Hello" to Mr Davidson. MR DAvIDSON:   Hello, boys. Can you help me? I've forgotten my key and I can't get in.
JOHN AND HENRY:   We'll try our best , Mr Davidson.
MR DAVIDSON:   You're both taller than me, aren't you?
JoHN:   Yes , I'm over five foot ten. I'm the tallest of the three of us.
HENRY:   But I'm almost as tall as John.
MR DAVIDSON:   Can you climb on John's shoulders and reach that window?
HENRY:   All right. (He climbs on John's shoulders. ) What shall I do now?
MR DAVIDSON:   Open the window, please, and climb through it into the house.
HENRY:   Oh dear , I can't move it . It's fastened in side.
MR DAVIDSON:   Can you break the window?
JoHN:   Look ! There's a policeman ! He's coming towards us.

Question on Text B

Adventure at Midnight
  Long ago there 1 ived two brothers who were very poor. They lived in tiny huts at opposite sides of their large wheat field. At the end of each summer, when harvest time came, the brothers divided the grain they had grown into two equal parts. Some of it they took to be milled into flour, from which they baked bread. The rest was sold for money, with which they bought shoes, clothing, and tools.
  Although they toiled from sunup to sundown, six days a week, they hardly had enough to eat. In spite of this, they were happy because of their great love for one another.

But one year, Sirnon, the younger brother. felt a great sadness.
His wife said, "Tell me what is making you so blue? You no longer sing while you work, and the twinkle is gone from your eye. "

"You are right , dear wife. I am worried about my older brother , Ruben. He is alone in the world, with neither wife nor children. Who will care for him when he gets old and can no longer work? If only he had some money to save for his old age! It isn't fair that we share the harvest equally. But he is proud and will not accept gifts from me. What shall I do?"
  "Would you take food from your own children? " She asked in astonishment. "There is nothing you can do, "'she said. "So forget it. "

Simon knew that his wife was right , but he was determined to help Ruben, come what might.
Meanwhile, Ruben was sitting under a tree, thinking deeply. When he noticed a bird on the way to its winter home, he said, that bird and I are fortunate because we are free. Neither of us has a wife and children always needing to be fed. But my poor brother, Simon, is burdened with a family.

"Itisn't fair that we share the harvest equally. Surely he deserves more than I! But he is very proud and will not accept gifts from me. What can I do? In several days we'll take our harvest to town. If I don't think of a plan soon, it will be too late. "
  That night. when the moon was high in the sky, Ruben went quietly to his barn where he filled a sack with wheat'?and put in on his shoulder. Then he crossed the empty field to his brother's hut and secretly placed his wheat with Simon's.
  "Ah." he said when he had finished, "this is better. Now my dear younger brother will have more than I. "

Ruben went happily back to his hut and slept soundly for the first time in wceks.
  An hour later, Simon woke up with a start. He had dreamed of a marvelous plan. He crept out of bed, got dressed, and went to his barn. Filling a sack with wheat., walking across the field to Ruben's hut, and placing it there took very little time. Before long, he was back in bed, pulling up the covers.
  "Now I can sleep peacefully," he thought, "because Ruben will have a little extra to save for his old age. "

The next morning Ruhen and Simon were amazed. How could this be? 'hheir piles were equal, yet each knew he had secretly given wheat to his brother. Something must have gone wrong.
  So that night Ruben waited until midnight, when he again took Simon some of his grain. "There! Now I am fully awake and I'm sure I put it on his pile. Tomorrow mine will be smaller and his larger, as it should be. "

A short time later, Simon did the same. He, too, was sure that all would be well this time.
  But when day dawned, each brother saw that his share was exactly half the harvest. Ruben and Simon were desperate. Tomorrow they were to go to town to sell their grain. Tonight was their last chance.

Midnight came again. But this time Ruben and Simon chose the same moment to carry out their mission of brotherly love. Each placed a sack of wheat on his shoulders and began to walk across the field. Halfway across they met.
  "Ruben! What are you doing out so late at night?" cried Simon in dismay. He tried to hide his sack.
  Startled, Ruben dropped his bundle. Then he saw Simon's sack and they both began to laugh. When they finished laughing, they hugged each other tightly. Their hearts were full of love for each other and they were content.

竹影无风 2004-05-20 20:03
Lesson 36

Text A

Three Wishes
  Once upon a time , there lived a woodman and his wife. They were very poor, and they lived in a cottage on the edge of a forest. Every day, the woodman would set out early in the, morning to chop down trees. .

As the woodman was travelling through the forest one day, he saw a fine old oak tree. "That will make plenty of planks," he thought, as he felt the blade of his axe to make sure it was sharp. He was about to strike the tree with the axe , when he heard someone crying out: "Please don't hurt this tree. "

The woodman looked around him and saw a tiny fairy. "If you do not hurt this tree , " she said , "I will grant you and yotar wife three wishes. "
  "I won't hurt the tree," said the woodman kindly. Then the fairy vanished !
  That evening, the woodman walked slowly home. He was feeling very hungry and could not wait for his supper.

"Is my supper ready?" the woodman asked his wife.
  "Not for at least two hours, replied his wife. So the woodman sat in a chair by the fire.
  "I wish I had a big black sausage to eat right now," he said
  out loud. And suddenly, a delicious sausage appeared on the table before himt "Why has that black sausage suddenly appeared?" the woodman's wife asked.

So the woodman told his wife the story about the fairy. But his wife was very angry. "You have wasted the first of our wishes," she said crossly. "I wish that sausage were on your nose !"
  And with that, the sausage jumped up and stuck fast on the woodman's nose. His wife could not pull it off and nor could he, so the only thing to do was to w.ish it on the table again, which the woodman did.
What a waste of three wishes! The only thing the woodman had was a good supper of black sausage.

Text B

They Threatened Me With a Knife POLICE INSPECTOR:   Good evening , sir. I understand that you have been robbed.
MR LEE:   I certainly have.
P. L:   When did this happen?
MR LEE:   About two hours ago.
P. L:   Why didn't you report it before?
MR LEE:   I couldn't. I was bound and gagged.
P. L:   Please tell me exactly what happened
MR LEE:   I was sitting in this room watching television when someone knocked on the
  door. Without thinking, I opened it.
P. L:   That wasn't very wise , sir.
MR LEE:   I know. I was expecting my wife, you see, and thought it was her.
P.L:   You should never open a door without looking to see who it is.
MR LEE:   Yes , I know. I regret it very much.
P.L:   What happened?
MR LEE:   Two men pushed into the flat. One of them threatened me with a knife while the
  other bound and gagged me.
P.L:   Did you get a good look at them?
MR LEE:   I'm afraid not. They were both wearing stockings over their faces.
P.L:   What did they take?
MR LEE:   My wallet, with  $200 in it, my wristwatch. some of my wife's jewellery from
  our bedroom, and a silver photoframe.
P. L:   They don't seem to have done much damage to the flat.
MR LEE:   No. They had just begun to search when the dogs next door began to bark. They
  ran off then leaving me bound and gagged. It was some time before my wife
  returned and released me. I phoned the police at once.
P.L:   My men began searching the area as soon as we received your call. I can't promise you
  that we'll recover your property but we'll certainly do our best.

Question on Text B

7 . Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.

Now I know why birds sit on telephone lines. They listen.
  I am either nine or ten years old. At the orphanage they call me Miguel.
  When I want to feel improtant, I say, "Call me Don Miguel. " I used to act important all the time because 1 felt I wasn't.

Back then, no one liked me very much because I didn't like other peo
  But last year, I began to learn two important things: I was learning to see, not just look. And I was learning to listen, not just hear.
  I used to lie in the dark and make up relatives that I didn't have. My favorite relative was a nice old man who spoke Spanish, like me.

One day a man came to see me. He said he was my uncle. "I don't have an uncle," I said.
  "Now you do , " he said.
  He was an old man who liked children. He had a boy once who went to Korea. His daughter moved to the City. He said the City can be a difficult place in which to live. He taught me how to see and listen. I don't know if he is my uncle or not; neither did he, but he came to see me often. I guess if you act like an uncle all the time, you are one.

I was not a good student before my uncle came along. He took me walking in the fields. At one point he spread his arms and said. "It is all here. "
  "What?" I said.
  "Everything you need to know," he replied.

At first it appeared to be nothing more than just a few trees. I thought I was nowhere. Then he had me close n-.y eyes. First I heard the breeze in the grass, then in the trees. I also heard a faraway train and a barking dog. For a while I heard nothing. I was almost scared. He said to listen harder.
  I heard my heart beat.
  beause I used to be so sad, I had almost forgotten that I had a heart.

Once I asked him who he was.
  "An experiment , " he said.
  "What kind of an experiment?" I said.
  He grinned and said, "Nobody knows. Like you, there is no one in the world like me. So who is to say what I will be. "

One day in the field he showed me the way the breeze made the trees move. The rustling of the leaves made a sound that frightened a nearby bird. It flew away.
  We watched the bird drop an acorn.
  "The bird , " he said , "cari make a seed move. From that seed the oak can grow fifty feet tall. It will be a friend to those who want one. "

I always knew that trees were there, but I never knew they were real like me.
  One Sunday I was angry. When my uncle came , I said : "I don't have anything. I wish I had something. "
  "You have everything worth having," he said. "And I will give you even more. I will give some secrets of the Universe. Do you believe me?"
  "Yes," I said, wanting to believe him.

He gave me three small seeds.
  "Put each seed into a small box filled with dirt. Then care for them. Talk to them if you wish. They will grow with you. "
  Now they are in larger boxes. One of t.he plants has grown up to my knee. I sometimes wonder what else it is up to.

Another time we were walking in the field when we saw two birds on a telephone line. They seemed so peaceful. Then suddenly they flew away. My uncle just laughed.
  "See," he said."Someone said something they didn't like.& careful what you tell the birds."
One night I passed by the office of the orphanage. A man I don't iike very much was on the phone. He was angry and loud.

When he'left, I went into the office and picked up the phone. I heard the funniest sound.
  "Listen," I said. "Listen, liirds. Come on back, never mind what he says. We like you. "
  One day-Unele did not come: I waited and waited but he did not come. The man I don't like at the orphanage said Uncle was sick.

"May I go and see him?" I asked.
  "No," he said. "He may be contagious. "
  "May I call him?"
  "No, " he said. "I'll call him for you. "
  "Don't do that," I said.
  "Why not?" .
  "You'll make the birds fly away. "
  I sneaked into the office one night and called Uncle.
  "Are you all right?" I asked.
  "Yes, but I must go away. "
  "Why?"
  "To make room for something else. "
  "Will you come back?"
  "I will help you remember me, if you want me to. "
  "I do. . . . Ido. . . ."
  When I went to bed at night, I would try to imagine that he was there. He was harder and harder to see. One night, he was not there at all. There was only a grcen ficld.

I went back to our field. It was raining. T'he sky was dark, the way I was inside. I looked for Uricle everywhere. I called his name.
  I was angry for a while. I said some things out loud that I shouldn't have said. Two birds flew out of the trec.I made them get wet.
  On the way back, I saw something that was only an inch or two tall. It was where that hird dropped the acorn. I didn't tell anybody, but I knew.
  Someday Uncle will be fifty feet tall.

竹影无风 2004-05-20 20:04
Lesson 37

Text A

Do You Know Who I Am?
  Mr Smith is well known in Washington because of his many social blunders. He alwavs likes to attend the various social functions because he wants to expand his circle of friend. Whenever he is invited , he goes , unless he is ill.

Recently he received an invitation to a fashionable banquet. Although he did not know the hostess, he accepted the invitation. He was secretly very pleased, because he felt that his reputation as a desirable guest was growing.
  When he arrived. at the banquet hall, he found that about one hundred people had been invited. He began to move around the hall. He spoke to other guests whether he knew them or not. He soon realized that he had never met any of the other people present, although they seemed to know each other.

At dinner, he was seated beside a very dignified woman. The woman tried to be friendly even though she had never met Mr Smith before. She spoke politely, whenever he spoke to her. Between the first and second course of the meal , she turned to Mr Smith and said, "Do you see that gray-haired man at the end of the table? The one with the glasses. "

"Ah, yes. Who is he?" asked Mr Smith.
  "He's the Secretary of the Interior!" she replied.
  Mr Smith said: "So that's the Secretary of the Interior! I'm afraid that I find very little to admire about him, although he is the Secretary. "
  The woman stiffened and did not reply. Smith continued in spite of her coldness. "I really can't see how he received his appointment, unless he is perhaps a relative of the President. "

"It hardly matters whether you like the Secretary of not," she said. "He was chosen because the President thought he was the man for the job If he does the job well, you should have no complairit. "
  "That's just it,"persisted Smith. "No one does the things he does , unless he is a complete fool ! "

"Sir! "said the woman in all her dignity. "Do you know who I am?"
  "No," replied Smith.
  "I am the Secretary's wife, "she said coldly. Mr Smith was flabbergasted, but he went on in spite of his embarrassment. "Madam, do you know who I am?"
  "No, I don't," the woman replied.
  "Thank goodness! "exclaimed Mr Smith, as he quickly left the table.

Text B

Hands Up!

This was the conversation in the expensive shop in London. A man and a woman walked in and . . . SALESMAN:   Can I help you?
WOMAN:   Yes , we're looking for a watch. It's for me.
SALESMAN:   I see. What price are you interested in?
MAN:   The price doesn't matter. But it must be a gold watch.
WOMAN:   And automatic. I must have an automatic watch !
SALESMAN:   Hmm... something like this, perhaps. It's one of our best watches. Made in
  Switzerland. Fully automatic. With a calendar and...
MAN:   It's nice .. . but haven't you got anything better?
SALESMAN:   Better? Better than this? Well , we have some Orly de luxe watches...
  probably the best watch in the world. But I'm afraid they're far more
  expensive than this one. They cost. . .
MAN:   Would you show us one, please?
WOMAAN:   Yes , could we see one of them . please?
SALESMAN:   They're in the managcr's office. You sce, we don't. . .
MAN:   Could you possibly get onc or two of them now?
SAI.EsMAN:   Er. . . yes , of course. Would you wait here for a moment. Please?
  (He goes to the manager'sd knocks on the door. )
MANAGEK:   Come in.
SALESMAN:   Mr Crawford, I have two customers who..
WOMAN:   All right ! Hands up ! Stand over there !
MANAGER/
SALEsMAN:   What in the world. . .
MAN:   Shut up! And open that safe ! Come on! Open it !
MANAGER:   I. . . I can't open it.
MAN:   What do you mean? You must open it.
MANAGER:   You told. me to. put my hands up. How can I open the safe with my hands up?

Question on Text B

Henry D. Penrose was a dog with a pedigree. He lived in a fine stone house with white marble steps and red velvet drapes on every window.
  His owner, Professor Randolph Penrose, was quite rich. Each morning Henry was driven to Obedience School in a long black limousine. "

Each afternoon he was fed two grilled lamb chops for lunch.
  Each evening he fell asleep in his fur-lined basket in front of the fire- place.
  On Saturdays he was groomed at Miss Fifi's Shop. And on Sundays he accompanied the professor to the park, where a classical orchestra played soothing music and the grass was cool and fragrant.

Professor Penrose would stroke Henry's shiny coat and say, "You have the life, Henry my boy!"
  And Henry certainly had to agree.
  Then one day it all changed. Just. Like. That. professor Penrose received a telegram offering him a chance to dig for dinosaur bones in Idaho. For one entire year.
  There was only one problem. The telegram stated quite firmly in the largest letters possible: NO PETS ALLOWED!

The cook, Mrs Washburn, agreed to take Henry to her home until the professor returned.
  Professor Penrose hated to send Henry to live on the other side of the city. There were no marble steps or red velvet drapes on Mrs Washburn's property.
  But Henry was buttoned into his red plaid coat and driven to the Washburn residence.
  Henry stepped out of the limousine. He was so shocked that his ears stuck out like two car doors.

Such an untidy home he had never seen. It was all he could do to maintain a sense of dignity.
  He was picking his way through the toys on the muddy front steps when a tumble of children spilled onto the porch, scooped him up, and before you could say"One-two"Henry was deposited in a sea of soap bubbles in the Washburn bathtub.
  Each time he tried to jump out, little hands pushed him back in. "Don't be too rough, children," said Mrs Washburn. "Henry isn't used to such fun. "

Dinner that evening was a big steamy ham bone. Bits of cabbage fell from it as one of the children tossed it from the pot to Henry. What! thought Henry. No plate?
  He wondered if he'd ever see a grilled lamb chop again.
  By bedtime, Henry was exhausted. His fur-lined basket had been left behind. Where would he sleep?

Just then two of the children carried him off to a room with three bunk beds.
  "Henry's sleeping with me ! " announced one child , pulling him to one bunk.
  "Oh no! Henry's sleeping with me!" protested another, yanking him toward another bunk.
  A third child elbowed his way in, and Henry flopped to the floor.

Before he could crawl under one of the beds, a pillow fight broke out.
  Thwack! A pillow smacked into Henry's face. He barked. Loud!
  Mrs Washburn came scurrying down the hallway. The children scattered into their beds.
  "Why, Henry!" scolded Mrs Washburn. "You never barked like that before! Quiet down, or the children will never get to sleep!"

On Sunday there was no park or classical orchestra. No cool and fragrant grass. Just the Washburn's backyard with its dandelion clumps and creaky swings and a fort made out of empty cardboard boxes.
  The children wrestled with Henry. They scratched his ears and tied an old red Christmas ribbon around his neck. They tried to make him chase the cat next door. Baby Washburn even kissed him-a big, sloppy, wet, strawberry-lollipop kiss , right on the nose.

Later, when Baby toppled over onto Henry's tail, they both cried: "
"Yeeeeooooooow !
  Mrs Washburn poked her head out of the back door. "Don't hurt Baby, Henry. "
  Days, weeks, months passed.
  Henry learned to put up with pillow fights and strawberry kisses. He learned to ignore the neighbour's cat and to wriggle Christmas ribbons off
his neck. He even learned to eat steamy ham bones.

And then one day everything changed. Just. Like. That.
  Professor Penrose returned. ,
  The long black limousine came to take Henry back to the professor's fine stone house.
  The Washburn children gathered on their front porch. Tears streamed down their cheeks. "Good-bye, Henry," they sniffled sadly. "Good-bye!"

That evening, after being groomed by Miss Fifi (who kept sighing over the tangles in his coat) and after being fed two plump, perfectly grilled lamb chops (in his own monogrammed dish), Henry climbed into his furlined basket in front of the fireplace.
  He yawned. He laid his head on his front paws. He closed his eyes.
  But he did not go to sleep.

Something was wrong. Everything was so quiet, so peaceful. Too quiet. Too peaceful.
  Henry climbed out of his basket. He nudged open the front door and headed down the road to the Washburn house. At first he walked properly, as he had been taught. Then he ran.
  When he arrived, he scratched at the door.

Mrs Washburn opened it. "Why, it's you, Henry. Welcome home!" Henry dashed up the stairs and into the children's bedroom. It was dark.
  Thwack! A pillow smacked into his face.
  Henry ducked under one of the beds. He smelled the faint scent of strawberry, and as he drifted off to sleep, he was thinking to himself; You have the life, Henry my boy. You have the life.

竹影无风 2004-05-20 20:06
Lesson 38

Text A

Can't She Type?
  The well-known banker, T. J. Ellington, was at one time in his younger days the manager of a New York office. His secretary had been with him for many years, and knew his ways and habits. She always kept a glass of water on his desk, and knew that he disliked flowers in the office. He had a habit of interrupting a letter (when she was writing it down) with a few words on other subjects which had no connection with the letter; but she knew how to deal with that. She was never late , and was always willing to work beyond office hours when necessary. Therefore, when she left the office to get married, Ellington felt rather sorry for himself.

In those days good secretaries were hard to find. Ellington rang up the office in the city which had supplied him before; but the woman there said that she had no one suitable. He tried several other places, but the answer was always the same. There did not seem to be any secretaries unemployed. But it was absolutely necessary for him to find someone , and at last he rang up the first office again and urged the woman to find a girl who could at least type.

"Well," she said slowly, "there's Miss Steele. "
  "Good!" cried Ellington. "Send her along at once. I really
must have someone here immediately. "
  "I'm not sure about her," said the woman doubtfully. "Why? Can't she type? Is she too old?"
  "Oh, she's quite young. In fact she's only just left the Secretarial College. She types very well indeed. "
  "Well, then, what's the matter? Send her here at once. "
  "All right, if you say so. But she's a bit simple. "

Miss Steele arrived soon afterwards, and he explained her duties to her. At first she refused to accept the post; she said that she had had no experience and was not used to such work. But after a further conversation he managed to persuade her to come, at least for a week or two. She agreed, but her face had a doubtful expression on it as she went out.

On the following morning Miss Steele arrived at the office ready for work. Ellington had one letter to which he wished to reply immediately, and he rang the bell. Miss Steele came in quietly and sat down, pencil in hand and notebook on knee. Ellington told her to take a letter, and was glad to see that she could write as fast as he spoke. It was soon done and she went out to type it.
  "Well , " thought Ellington, "there doesn't seem to be much wrong with that girl."

A short time later she entered the office again and placed a letter, beautifuily typed on his desk. He looked at it with pleasure, but read it with surprise. It was as follows:"24th
July, 1976.
  "Mr James Vandenberg,
  "His address is on this letter. Here! Take it with yau."Dear Sir,

"I thank you for your letter of yesterday's date. I think the question of the electric motors needs further consideration, and as time is important, it will probably be best if we meet to discuss it. There's that cat outside the mindozv again. Please tell Miss Harper to remove it and keep it away. I've told her before about it. I should take it as a favour if you would lunch with me on Friday next. What's happened to my glass of water this morning? We may then be able to settle the matter finally. I don't like flozvers in the office. Please remove them. I usually lunch at one o'clock. Please let me know if that time will suit you. This letter is zmportant and I want you to type it carefully.
                                              "Yours faithfully,"

Text B

A Quiz on General Knowledge

Charles Kent and Tony Smith are playing a game. They are asking each other questions about general knowledge CHARLES:   When was America discovered, Tony?
TONY:   I'm not certain. Do you know?
CHARLES:   America was discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1492.
TONY:   In a way that's right. But the Vikings travelled there long before
  Columbus. And what about the Red Indians?
CHARLES:   All right. Ask me a question now.
TONY:   Who invented the electric light bulb?
CHARLES:   That's easy. It was invented by Edison.
TONY:   Correct. Now fora harder question. Who will be the first tnen on Mars?
CHARLES:   I can't answer that. But I think Mars will be visited by men before the
  end of this century.
TONY:   Ask me a question now.
CHARI.ES:   All right. What is the nearest planet to the sun?
TONY:   That's easy. It's .. er... Venus. NO. Pluto. No. Wait a minute. It's on
  the tip of my tongue. Oh dear, what is the nearest planet to the sun?

Question on Text B

Billy is fourteen years old and in the ninth grade. He had a part-time job which gets him up every morning at five o'clock. He is a newspaper boy.

Each morning, Billy leaves the house at 5:15 to go to the corner where the newspapers are. The newspapers were delivered to the corner by truck at midnight. He always takes a wagon to carry them.
  In the winter it is still dark when he gets up, but during the rest of the year it is light. Billy must deliver the newspapers to the houses of people on his route in all kinds of weather. He tries to put each paper on the porch where it will be protected from wind and rain or snow. His customers think he does a good job. Sometimes they give him tips.

Billy earns about  $ 70 per month, and he is saving some of the money to go to college. He spends the rest on records and clothes. Once a month, he has to collect money from his customers. Since many of them work during the day, Billy has to collect the money at night. Sometimes, when Billy is sick, his older brother has to deliver the newspapers. Once, Billy's father had to help.

Billy has seventy customers now, but he hopes to get more soon. Someday, if he gets many more customers, Billy might win a prize for being an outstanding newspaper boy. He wants to win a trip to Europe, but he will be happy if he wins a new bicycle.

竹影无风 2004-05-20 20:07
Lesson 39

Text A

My Father's Son
  It's hard being an astronaut's son. I mean, everybody expects you to be special or perfect, and I'm just an average elevenyear-old kid. I'm an average student, and I'm average, too, when it comes to basketball, football, soccer, and baseball.
  I often wonder how my father ever had a son like me. I mean he's so special and so good at everything he does. In high school he was captain of the football team, class president, and editor of the school newspaper.

Well, to tell you the truth,I do have a little talent that nobody knows about. I write poems and stories and keep them in a red notebook in my bottom desk drawer.
  Nowadays I dream about being a famous writer, but I used to dream about doing something spectacular to impress my father and make him proud of me-something like rescuing a child from a burning building or chasing a robber away from an old lady.

I was daydreaming in school one morning ( which I do often). I was daydreaming about being some kind of hero, like discovering an instant cure for cancer or a shot for mental illness, when I heard my English teacher announce a Father's Day essay contest for the whole school.
  "I hope we have a winner right here in my English class,

she said. "The PTA has donated three cash prizes- one hundred dollars for first prize, fifty dollars for second, and twenty-five dollars for third prize. "
  After school I walked home, thinking about the essay I would write. My father is an astronaut, I would start out. No, I decided. I wouldn't do that. The whole country and maybe even the whole world saw my father as an astronaut , but that wasn't the way I saw him.

When Igot home, I kissed my mom quickly. Then I went upstairs to my room and sat down with a pen and a pad of paper. I started to think about what I would write.
  How did I see my father. Hmm.
  I saw him sitting with me in the dark23 when I was a little kid and had a nightmare.
  I saw him teaching me how to use a bat and how to throw a baseball.
  I remembered how he hugged me for hours when my dog Spotty was hit and killed by a car.

And I remembered how he surprised me with a new puppy at my eighth birthday party. When I started to cry, he told all the kids that I had a bad allergy. "David's allergy bothers him a lot this time of year," Dad said.
  And I remembered how he sat and tried to explain death to me when Grandpa Bob died.
  These were the things I was going to write about my dad. To me, he wasn't just a world-famous astronaut. He was my dad.

I wrote about all these memories and put them in my essay. I handed it in the next day and was surprised to find out that the winning essays would be read in the auditorium on Thursday night. A11 the parents and students were invited.
  My parents and I went to school Thursday night. One of our neighbours said, "I bet you'll win the contest, David. I bet you wrote what it's like to be the son of an astronaut, and you're the only one in town who could write about that. "

My dad looked at me, and I shrugged. I hadn't sliown him the essay, and now I almost hoped Lwouldn't win. I didn't want; to win just because my father was an astronaut.
When third prize was announced and it wasn't me, I was relieved and disappointed at the same time, Ellen Gordon won third prize, and she read her essay. Ellen. is adopted, and she wrote a.bout her "better than real" father. When she got to the end,I heard people in the audience sniffing and blowing their noses. My mother sniffed, and my father cleared his throat.

The second-prize winner was announced next. It was me.
  I went up to the stage, my knees shaking. I read my essay and wondered if my voice was shaking, too. It was scary standing up in front of all those people. I called my essay "My Father's Son. " I watched my parents as I read. When I finished reading, the audience applauded. I saw my father blowing his nose. Tears were running down my mother's face. I went back
to my seat.

"I see you have an allergy , too , Dad , " I tried to joke.
Dad nodded, cleared his throat, and put his hand on my shoulder. "Son, this is the proudest moment of my life," he said.
  It was the proudest moment of my life, too. Maybe I'll never be a great hero or win a Nobel Prize, but just then, it was enough just to be my father's son.

Text B

The Wrong Sex or the Wrong Clothes?

Sylvia and Larry both work for a big company in London. They work in different departments. They are having lunch in the canteen. SYLVIA:   We've got a new manager in our department.
LARRY:   Oh? You hoped to get that job, didn't you?
SYLVIA:   Yes, I did.
LARRY:   I'm sorry. That's too bad. Who is it? Who got the job, I mean?
SYLVIA:   Someone called Drexler. Carl Drexler. He's been with the company only
  two years. I've been here longer. And I know more about the job , too
LARRY:   Hmm. Why do you think they gave it to him and not to you?
SYLVIA:   Because I'm the wrong sex , of course !
LARRY:   You mean you didn't get the job because you're a woman?
SYLVIA:   Yes, that was probably it! It isn't fair.
LARRY:   What sort of clothes does he wear?
SYLVTA:   A dark suit. White shirt. A tie. Why?
LARRY:   Perhaps that had something to do with it.
SYLVIA:   You mean you think I didn't get the job because I come to work in jeans
  and a sweater?
LARRY:   It's possible, isn't it?
SYLVIA:   Do you really think I should wear different clothes?
LARRY:   Well. . . perhaps you should think about it.
SYLVTA:   Why should I wear a skirt? Or a dress?
LARRY:   I'm not saying you should. I'm saying you should think about it. That's all!
SYLVIA:   Why should I do that? I'm good at my job! That's the only important thing !
LARRY:   Hmm. Perhaps it should be the only important thing. But it isn't. Not in
  this company.

Questions on Text B

The Clever Servant
  A long time ago, there was a rich old man who loved wine and
food above everything else. And he had a servant who loved drinking and eating as much as his master did.
  Each time the rich old man went out, he had to hide his wine and food away. Bot each time the servant found them and he helped himself to the bottles of wine and all the nice food. Of course, the rich old man knew who did it and was displeased. But he could do neth:ag about it, because he had never caught his servant drinking his wine or eating his food.

One day the old man was invited to dinner at the home of one of his friends. He did not know what to de with the wine, meat and chicken he had just bought. Certainly he could not leave them to the servant. Then he had an idea. He called up the servant and said to him:

"I'll be away for the whole evening, and I'll leave you to look after the house. In the cupboard there are two bottles filled with poison. Be careful about it. You'll be killed if you take even a drop of it. There is also some meat and chicken in the cupboard. Take care of them. " With these words the rich old man left home.

As soon as the master turned his back, the servant opened the cupboard and began to enjoy all the nice things in it. He emptied the two bottles and ate up the meat, the chicken and everything else he found in the cupboard. He was satisfied and soon fell asleep.At mid-night
the rich old man returned home. He looked into the cupboard and, to his great surprise, all his wine and food were gone. He was mad with anger and called the servant up.

"Oh, Master," the servant began before the old man could open his mouth. "While you were away, the neighbour's black cat stole into our kitchen and ate up everything in the cupboard. I knew you would be very angry with me. I was so afraid that I drank the two bottles of poison to kill myself. " There were even tears in the servant's eyes. "Oh, Master," he continued. "Please don't get angry with a dying man. I'll soon be dead. "
  The rich old man, of course, did not believe a word of his story. But again, he muld do nothing about it.

竹影无风 2004-05-20 20:08
Lesson 40

Text A
Learn to Eat Like a Grown-up MOTHER:   The table's laid. Come along, both of you, and let us begin.
FATHER:   I'm ready; I feel quite hungry.
CHRIS:   So am I; I could eat a horse.
MOTHER:   Well, we haven't got a horse for you , but what we have got is quite
  nice. Sit there and see how well you can behave. Remember, you're
  getting quite a big boy and must learn to eat like a grown-up.
CHRIS:   DOes that mean that I can eat more?
MOTHER:   We want you to make a good meal, though we don't want you to stuff
  yourself. Your place has been laid just like ours.
CHRIS:   What's this little plate for?
MOTHER:   That's for your bread. Most people eat a little bread with their meat
  and vegetables.
CHRIS:   Mother, aren't you going to cut my meat up for me any more?
MOTHER:   No, I'm not. We have put a knife and fork for you and you must learn .
  how to use them. Here is your meat; help yourself to vegetables from
  the dish Don't take more than you can eat.
CHRIS:   All right; Mother; may I take some mustard?
FATHER:   You may, but I don't think you'll like it. You'll find it hot. Now
  sit up properly; don't lean back and don't Iean too far forward.
MOTHER:   And take your elbows off the table-cloth.
FATHER:   And don't take too much on your fork. You shouldn't open your mouth
  wide at meals.
MOTHER:   And n't make a noise when you are eating.
CHRIS:   Good gracious!I think it would be better if I took my plate away to
  the nursery. I shan't be able to eat at, all if I try to remember
  all those things.
FATHER:   Stay where you are. You'll soon learn.(Chris begins to eat; he puts
  some vegetables into his mouth with his knife. )
MOTHER:   What are you doi ng? Don't you know that you must never put you knife
  into your mouth?
CHRIS:   But why, Mummy? It's easier like that sometimes.
FATHER:   You .might cut your mouth. Do you want to make your mouth bigger than it k.
  is? Use your for
CHRIS:   No, I don't. But I might prick my tongue with the points of my fork.
FATHER:   Well, you must learn not to.
MOTHER:   There, leave the lad alone. He'll soon learn. Have you finished, dear?
  Lay your knife and fork on your plate. No, don't cross them. Put the
  handles towards you.
FATHER:   Now, here come the sweets. Here's your plate. Use that spoon and fork;
  use your fork more than your spoon.
CHRIS   But why? Isn't it polite to use the spoon?
MOTHER:   Of course it is, but most people use the fork more. than the spoon. Use
  the spoon when you have to.
CHRIS:   You mean for eating very soft stuff?
MOTHER:   That's right. Why, you haven't drunk any water! (Chris drinks some water
  and puts his glass down on the left of his plate. )
FATHER:   Not there. On your right.
CHRISL   But why?
FATHER:   Because it is nearer to your right hand. It's handier there.
CHRIS:   All right, Dad. There seems to be a great deal to learn. Give me some more
  pudding, Mother
MoTHER:   "Give me" doesn't get; say, "Please may I have?"
CHRIS:   Please may I have some more pudding?
MoTHER:   Here you are. What's that I see? Dirty hands? See that you don't come to
  table with dirty hands again.
FATHER:   And brush your hair next time you come.
CHRIS:   I'll try to remember. But you mustn't expect me to learn every't'hing at
  once. May I get down now?
MoTHER:   Very well. Run along.

Text B

A Red Cross Nurse
  Mary wanted to be a nurse when she left school , but in the meantime, she joined the Red Cross and had some limited training
  She was taught that, in case of an accident-and they were plentiful in her town-she should give first aid at once and then send' for a doctor.

One day, there was an accident in a busy street, and when Mazy arrived soon after, she saw a man bending over a woman who had been accidentally knocked down by a car and was lying motionless in the street.
  Mary ran up, pushed the man away, informed the crowd that she was a Red Cross nurse and began to help the wounded woinan.

After a few minutes, the man who had been bending over
the woman when Mary arrived touched her on the shoulder and said, "When you reach the part about sending for a doctor,don't worry. I'm here already. "

Questions on Text B

7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the passage to your partner.

We say that a person has good manners if he or she behaves politely and
is kind and helpful to others. Everyone likes a person with good manners but no one likes a person with bad manners. "Yes," you may say, "but what are good manners? How does one know what to do and what not to do?"

Well, here are some examples of the things that a well-mannered person does or does not do.
He never laughs at people when they are in trouble. Instead, he tries to help them. He is always kind, never cruel, to people. When people are waiting for a bus, or in a post office, he takes his turn. He does not push to the front line of the queue. In the bus he gives his seat to an older person or a lady who is standing. If he accidentally bumps into someone, or gets in their way, he says "Excuse me" or "I'm sorry".

He says "Please" when lte makes a request , and "Thank you" when he receives something. He stands up when he is speaking to a lady or an older person, he does not sit down until the other person is seated. He does not in'terrupt other people when they are talking. He does not talk too much himself. He does not talk loudly or laugh loudly in public. When he is eating he does not speak with his mouth full of food. He uses a handkerchief when he sneezes or coughs.
(完)

yanghl1 2004-05-21 13:09
thank you 能不能做成电子书

竹影无风 2004-05-21 18:21
已经做成了电子书,在水韵英语第二资源区提供下载。

budtop 2004-09-25 18:06
谢谢

watersky 2004-09-28 17:07
谢谢了,无风大哥

西山 2004-10-11 22:57
very much.

vghjmnb 2004-12-30 09:32