社区应用 最新帖子 精华区 社区服务 会员列表 统计排行
主题 : 笔记:空中英语教室(2006年3月)[续完]
级别: 管理员
显示用户信息 
20  发表于: 2006-03-21   
引用
下面是引用 peiwen2 于 2006-03-20 09:54 发表的:
我感激得腿都软了 世上真有这种好人 谢谢了 兄弟!!!!

我很高兴你用的到这份资料~~~如果可以的话,希望能就《空中英语教室》的学习多加交流:)
水中的影,镜中的天
显示用户信息 
21  发表于: 2006-03-21   
2006年3月16日
March 16

【Text】

Decision 2

Kate: I'm surprised Annie hasn't even asked me if I'm OK with having Brandon over so often.

Meg: Well, you should talk to her about it.

kate: But what if she gets offended?

Meg: Do you want me to talk to Annie for you?

Kate: That would be great ... but won't she feel like I went behind her back?

Meg: Oh, I won't tell her you said anything to me. I'll just casually bring up the subject of Brandon. Then I'll hint that she should considerate of her roommate when having guests over.

Kate: Could you, Meg? That sounds great! Thanks!

Decision 3

(Kate talks to Annie.)

Kate: Brandon's a great guy. I'm really happy for you two.

Annie: Thanks! (smiles) I have to admit, I'm pretty smitten.

Kate: (smiles) I can tell. But ... Annie, I'm a little uncomfortable with him spending so much time in our room.

Annie: Really? Why? Don't tell me you're not used to having a guy around. Don't you have brothers?

Kate: Well, yes, but this is different.

Annie: Wow, I didn't realize you were so old-fashioned.

Kate: Well, I don't know if that's it. But I would appreciate it if you two could spend less time in our room.

Annie: (sighs) Well, if you feel strongly about this, I'll talk to Brandon. We'll figure something out.

Kate: Thanks, Annie.

【Word Bank】

go behind someone's back (idiom)
背着某人
Don't go behind Mary's back with this problem. You need to tell Mary what you're going to do.

considerate (adj.)
体贴的
Natalie is a considerate and kind person.

smitten (adj.)
神魂颠倒的
Kyle is smitten with Veronica. He thinks about her all day.

old-fashioned (adj)
守旧的
My parents are very old-fashioned, so they won't allow me to date until I've graduated from college.

【译文】

决定二

凯特:我很惊讶安妮连问一下都没问,布莱登那么常来有没有关系。

梅格:嗯,你应该跟她谈谈这件事。

凯特:但如果她生气了呢?

梅格:你要不要我帮你跟安妮谈?

凯特:这样会很好……可是她会不会觉得我背着她说什么?

梅格:噢!我不会跟她说你跟我说了什么。我会不经意地提起布莱登这个话题,然后暗示她,有访客过来时要考虑到室友的感受。

凯特:梅格,你可以吗?太棒了!谢谢你!

决定三

(凯特跟安妮谈)

凯特:布莱登很棒,我真的很为你们两人高兴。

安妮:(微笑)谢谢!我必须承认,我很为他着迷。

凯特:(微笑)我能了解,不过安妮,我对他花那么多时间在我们房间有点不自在。

安妮:真的?为什么?别跟我说你不习惯有男生在旁边。你没有兄弟吗?

凯特:嗯,我有,但这是不一样的。

安妮:哇!我不知道你那么保守。

凯特:我不知道这算不算保守,但如果你们两人待在我们房间的时间能够少一点,我会很感激。

安妮:(叹气)好吧!如果你对这件事感觉那么强烈的话,我会跟布莱登谈。我们会想出解决方法的。

凯特:谢谢你,安妮。
水中的影,镜中的天
显示用户信息 
22  发表于: 2006-03-22   
2006年3月17日
March 17

Wanted: Workers With Foreign Language Skills

Knowing the world's two most-spoken language can make you twice as important to employers

【Text】

Foreign language skills give you an edge in todays job market. Proficiency in English and Chinese is an especially desirable combination. English and Chinese are the two most-spoken languages in the world.

Many Western companies continue to expand rapidly into Chinese-speaking regions of Asia. At the same time, Chinese-speaking companies are increasing their presence in the West. As a result, both Western and Asian companies need Chinese-speaking workers who have strong English skills. Some local employers, such as Taiwan-based computer company Acer, have even made English their official company language.

Proficiency in both languages can help workers gain access to the best jobs. Many Chinese-speaking companies require that all managers possess excellent English skills.

But a big income and a high-level position aren't the only perks. A career that requires two languages can create other rewarding opportunities. Workers might be given more opportunities to travel or meet people from other countries.

Workers with skills in both languages also benefit the employer. They can help companies avoid the misunderstandings that often occur when people from different cultures do business.

【Word Bank】

give someone an edge (idiom)
让某人佔优势
Jeremy's 3-years of experience gave him an edge over the other applicants for the job.

proficiency (n.)
精通
Emily's proficiency in German helped her get used to life in Germany.

possess (v.)
拥有;具备
Mike possesses a good understanding of the environmental issues in this country.

perk (n.)
(因职务而得的薪资以外的)额外补贴;好处
I can reach the highest shelves in my kitchen. That's one of the perks of being tall.

【译文】

事求人:具备外语能力的人

通晓世界上两种最通俗的语言,可以让你备受雇主重视

March 17

外语能力让你在现在的求职市场占有优势。精通英文及中文是特别理想的组合,它们是世界上使用最多的两种语言。

在亚洲使用中文的地区里,许多西方企业持续且迅速地开疆拓土。而同时,华语企业也逐渐打进西方市场。因此,西方和亚洲企业都需要英文能力强的华籍员工。有些本土雇主,例如总部设在台湾的宏碁电脑公司,甚至把英文当作他们正式的公司语言。

精通两种语言能帮助工作者争取到最好的工作。许多华语企业要求所有经理拥有极佳的英文能力。

但优渥薪资及高位阶并不是唯一的报偿。一个需要两种语言的职业能够创造出其他有益的良机。员工可能会有更多机会到国外旅行或是会见外宾。

通晓两种语言的员工也对雇主有利。他们可以协助企业避免来自不同文化的人做生意时经常发生的误解。
水中的影,镜中的天
显示用户信息 
23  发表于: 2006-03-23   
2006年3月18日
【Text】

March 18

Let's look at two interesting careers in which English and Chinese speakers are in demand.

Web site translateors

After English, Chinese is the second most-used language on the Internet. From October 2004 to July 2005, the number of Chinese-speaking Web surfers increased by 18 million.

English-speaking employers want their Web sites translated into Chinese. But Chinese skills alone are not enough. Employers need Chinese-speaking workers who also have the language skills to understand English Web content. Such people will be sought after by Western companies to fill these translation jobs.

Business and marketing researchers

Many Western companies need employees who can mark their products to Chinese-speaking customers. Similarly, Chinese-speaking emplyers need workers who can make their products desirable to Western buyers. Strong language skills are a must in this type of job. A good business sense and marketing know-how are also essential.

The need for proficiency in more than one language is unlikely to change. Knowing both English and Chinese can open up a world of opportunities. Consider how you can use your language skill in your career.

【Word Bank】

in demand (idiom)
抢手的
Rachel is always in demand whenever we need a birthday cake. Her cakes are delicious!

sought after (idiom)
被寻求的;炙手可热的
Nicole's translating skills are very sought after. She has no problem finding work.

marketing (n.)
行销
This company's marketing department thought of a great way to sell the product.

know-how (n.)
(专门)知识、技巧
If you don't have the know-how to complete this project, give it to someone who does.

【More Information】

open up a world of opportunities (idiom)
开启无数的机会
Getting a college degree has opened up a world of opportunities for James. He already has three job offers.

【译文】

March 18

让我们来看看两个有趣的工作,它们都非常需要同时通晓中英文的人。

网页翻译员

中文是网际网络上最常被使用的语言,仅次于英文。从二○○四年十月到二○○五年七月,使用中文的上网人数增加了一千八百万人。

使用英文的雇主要将他们的网站翻译成中文。但只懂中文并不够,雇主需要华语员工也有了解英文网页内容的语言能力。西方企业会急征这样的人才来从事翻译工作。

商业及行销研究员

许多西方企业需要能够将产品行销给华人的员工。同样的,华语雇主需要的员工,是能做出吸引西方买主产品的人。语言能力强是这类工作的必备条件,良好的商业概念及行销知识也是不可或缺的。

精通一种以上语言的需求是不太可能改变的,而通晓英文及中文可以开启无数的机会。想想看你可以如何在工作生涯中发挥语言能力吧。
水中的影,镜中的天
显示用户信息 
24  发表于: 2006-03-24   
2006年3月20日
March 20

【Text】

One-of-a-Kind Hotels

Unique hotels make travel even more fun

March 20

For travelers who want a place to lay their head, any ordinary hotel will do. But discerning travelers ask for more. They want an unforgettable experience at one-of-a-kind hotel.

Where do you find this kind of hotel? Fortunately, today's travelers enjoy many options all over the globe. Some of these hotels are extravagant, other are simply strange. Many have become travel destinations in their own right. In fact, some travelers journey hundreds of miles just to stay in these unique hotels.

Back to nature (from US$860 to US$1,720 a night)

You certainly won't find any other hotel quite like the Earth Lodge. Located on a private game reserve in South Afria, it combines nature with luxury. All accommodations are large undergroud suites, carved from the area's natural rock. The furniture and decor use natural, rustic materials. Best of all, the entrance of each suite opens onto the beautiful African wilderness. Guests feel completely embraced by nature.

Despite the lodge's rustic look, comport is not neglected. All guests are attended round-the clock by their private butler. Safari guides also lead guests on their own African adventure.

【Word Bank】

discerning (adj.)
有鉴赏力的
This city's most discerning diners eat at this expensive restaurant.

extravagant (adj.)
奢华的
Bill lives a simple life. He doesn't need expensive car of other extravagant things.

accommodations (n. pl)
住房(设备)
Single rooms are the only accommodations the hotel has available tonight.

rustic (adj.)
乡村风味的;质朴的
Sarah dreams of living in a rustic cabin in the woods.

【More Information】

in one's own right (idiom)
因着本身的条件、才华等
Jim isn't famous, but he's still an art master in his own right.

safari (n.)
野生动物之旅
We went on an African safari and saw lions and elephants.

【译文】

举世无双的旅馆

独特的旅馆让旅游更添趣味

March 20

对那些只想一头躺下来的旅客,任何普通的旅馆就行。但有鉴赏力的旅客要求较高。他们想在独一无二的旅馆来场难以忘怀的体验。

你要去哪里找这种旅馆呢?今日的旅客十分幸运,可以在全球各地享受各色选择。有些这样的旅馆豪华奢侈,其余的却只是奇特罢了。许多饭店因着本身的条件而成为旅游目的地。事实上,有些旅客跋涉了数百哩,目的就只是为了在这些特殊的旅馆待上一晚。

回归自然(价位:一晚住宿费从八百六十到一千七百二十美元不等。)

你一定不可能找到与「地球客栈」相像的旅馆了。它坐落在南非一个私人的野生动物保护区内,结合了大自然的奢华享受。所有的住房均是大型的地下套房,由该地的自然岩石中雕刻出来,家俱和陈设都使用自然质朴的原料。最棒的一点,就是每个套房的入口一打开,就是美不胜收的非洲荒野。旅客会感觉完全融入大自然。

尽管旅馆外观充满乡村风味,并没有因而忽略舒适感。所有的宾客都享有私人管家的全天候贴心服务,野外动物之旅向导也会带领游客进行一场自己的非常探险。
水中的影,镜中的天
显示用户信息 
25  发表于: 2006-03-25   
2006年3月21日
March 21

【课文】

The lap of luxury (from US$1,000 to more than US$15,000 a night)

Looking for extravagant luxury? You can't do much better than the Burj Al Arab hotel in Dubai. It has earned a reputation as the ultimate luxury totel, Officially, it has a five-star ranking -- the highest any hotel can receive. But the media has dubbed it "the world's only seven-star hotel." It's easy to understand why. The Burj Al Arab has no ordinary rooms, just huge two-story suites. The hotel's two largest, the Royal Suites, spread out over an expansive 780 square meters. These suites also has their own elevator and cinema.

An army of butlers caters to the guests' every need 24 hours a day. The hotel also provides guests with their own personal Rolls Royce limousine and driver.

Other outstanding features include a towering hotel lobby. The lobby is so tall, in fact, the Statue of Liberty could fit inside. For guests who would rather arrive by air, a helicopter pad sits on the hotel roof.

All this luxury doesn't come cheap, of course. The Burj Al Arab is one of the world's most expensive hotels.

【Word Bank】

reputation (n.)
美誉;声誉
John has a reputation for being fair and honest. You can trust him!

expansive (adj.)
宽阔的
This expansive library contains every book printed in English in the last 100 years.

cater (v.)
满足需要(或)欲望;迎合
This charity organization caters to the needs of poor single mothers.

outstanding (adj.)
突出显著的
Colorado's most outstanding natural feature is the Rocky Mountains.

【More Information】

lap of luxury (idiom)
体验极致奢华;在奢侈的环境中
Laura lives in the lap of luxury. She has everything she could ever want.

helicopter pad (n.)
直升机起降场
Only small helicopters can land on the boat's helicopter pad.

【译文】

体验极致奢华(价位:一晚住宿费从一千到一万五千多美元不等)

在寻找奢华享受吗?你不可能找到比杜拜的「伯瓷酒店」更高级的地方了。它有「极致奢华饭店」的美誉。正式来说,它其实是五星级饭店——也就是饭店所能获得的最高等级。然而,媒体去把它称之为「全世界唯一的七星级饭店」。理由显而易见:伯瓷酒店没有普通的房间,只有巨型的两层楼套房。旅馆最大的两间皇家套房,占地宽广,超过七百八十平方公尺。所有的套房都有私人电梯和戏院。

众多管家则全天候满足旅客的所有需要。旅馆也提供客人私人的劳斯莱斯大型豪华轿车和司机。

其他显著的特色还包括了一个高耸的酒店大厅,高到足以容纳自由女神像。至于那些宁愿经飞航抵达旅馆的客人,旅馆顶楼则设有一个直升机起降场。

当然,这些奢华享受并不便宜。伯瓷酒店是全世界最昂贵的旅馆之一。
水中的影,镜中的天
级别: 新手上路
显示用户信息 
26  发表于: 2006-03-26   
楼主,太感激你的更新了, 不过我还是要跪求3月12日和3月19日的课文,如有更好的资料,请介绍,真是感激不尽啊!!!
显示用户信息 
27  发表于: 2006-03-26   
引用
下面是引用 billythekid 于 2006-03-25 15:24 发表的:
楼主,太感激你的更新了, 不过我还是要跪求3月12日和3月19日的课文,如有更好的资料,请介绍,真是感激不尽啊!!!

很高兴你喜欢。12日与19日都是周日,空中英语教室的惯例,每个周日都是休息的,因此才没有课文内容的。这里已经更新的部分是完整的:)
水中的影,镜中的天
显示用户信息 
28  发表于: 2006-03-26   
2006年3月22日
March 22

【Text】

A work of art (from US$90 to US$220 a night)

The Propeller Island City Lodge in Berlin is more than a hotel. It's a work of art -- literally. Artist Lars Stroschen designed each of the one-of-a-kind rooms. You can sleep on a bed that appears to be frying off the tilted floor. Or stay in a room where the furniture is stuck to the ceiling. Many other equally interesting rooms are available, too. It's your choice!

Stroschen has also composed music specifically for each room. Check into this hotel and experience the thrill of sleeping in a life-size work of art.

A storybook castle (from US$195 to US$490 a night)

Ever dreamed of staying in a castle? The Chateau de Mercues, in Southwest France, provides that opportunity. The castle was built in 650 A.D. Today it's a four-star hotel. The stone walls, towers and richly decorated rooms are the stuff of fairy tales. The hotel also boasts world-class French cuisine. Spend the night here, and you're sure to feel like a fairy-tale prince or princess.

Next time you travel, don't settle for a boring chain hotel. Look for something unique. It might just turn out to be the best part of your trip.

【Word Bank】

literally (adv.)
确实地;实在地
Bob and Lynette have literally nothing in common.

tilt (v.)
倾斜
This fence tilts a little bit to the left. I need to straighten it.

fairy tale (n.)
童话故事
My favorite fairy tale is the story of Little Red Riding Hood.

settle for something (v.)
退而求其次地接受;勉强接受
Don't settle for poor quality. Only choose the very best.

【More Information】

chain (n.)
连锁店
McDonald's is one of the world's most successful restaurant chains.

【译文】

艺术精品(价位:一晚住宿费从九十到两百二十美元不等。)

柏林的「螺旋桨岛城市客栈」不仅是一家旅馆,还是一个不折不扣的艺术精品。艺术家拉斯·史特罗钦设计了各个独一无二的房间;你可以睡在一张似乎要从倾斜地板上飞出去的床上,或者住在一间家具是固定在天花板上的房间。其他还有许多趣味洋溢的房间,任君挑选。

史特罗钦也特别为每一间房间作了曲。来这家旅馆一游,体验睡在一个与实物大小相仿的艺术品中的兴奋感。

童话故事般的城堡(价位:一晚住宿费从一百九十五到四百九十美元不等)

你可曾梦想过在一座城堡中住一晚?位于法国西南部的Mercues城堡提供了这样的机会。这个城堡建于西元六百五十年,今日是一家四星级的饭店。它的石墙、高塔和装饰富丽的房间都出处于童话故事,也以世界级的法国菜而自豪。在这里渡过一晚,你绝对会感觉自己像个故事书里的王子或公主。

当你下一次旅游时,别将就于一家乏味的连锁酒店。找点特殊的。那或许会是你该趟旅行中最棒的经验喔。
水中的影,镜中的天
显示用户信息 
29  发表于: 2006-03-27   
2006年3月23日
March 23

【Text】

On Time

"At 10 a.m." means different things around the world.

March 23

An office meeting starts at 10 a.m. Hans, a German colleague, is already waiting at 9:55. Nathan, an American, arrives on the dot at 10. In the next five minutes a few other hurry in. But trying everyone's patience is the visitor from Brazil, Raul, who walks in at 10:30. He doesn't even think he's late.

How people perceive time varies around the world. Germans like arriving early. Americans plan to arrive just on time. Brazilians aren't bothered by being a half hour late. And many don't know exactly what time it is .

In 1884, a clock in Greenwich, England, set the standard time around the world. But it couldn't standardize when people will arrive for a 10 a.m. meeting.

While culture attitudes about time differ greatly, all cultures can be put into one of two groups: time-oriented and event-oriented. Schedules take precedence in time-oriented cultures. In event-oriented cultures, what happens is more important than when. Such cultural knowledge is important for today's world travelers. Understanding how people perceive time can help travelers get along better in foreign cultures.

【Word Bank】

on the dot (idiom)
准时地
Our French club meetings always start at 4 o'clock on the dot.

perceive (v.)
看待
Stanley always perceives problems to be worse than they acturally are.

standardize (v.)
统一;使标准化
The school standardized its English tests. Now every English class takes the same tests.

precedence (n.)
优先次序;优先地位
Doing your homework should take precedence over watching TV.

【More Information】

-oriented (suffix)
以…为导向的;以…为目的的
Tim is very family-oriented. He likes to spend a lot of time with them.

【译文】

准时

「十点钟时」在世界各地的意义不同

March 23

一场公司会议在十点开始。德国同事汉斯九点五十五分就已经在等了。美国人纳森在十点准时到达。接下来的五分钟,其他几位匆忙进入办公室。但是最考验众人耐心的一位是巴西来的客人拉乌尔,他在十点半出现。他甚至不觉得自己迟到了。

世界各地的人对时间的观点大为不同。德国人喜欢提早到,美国人则计划准时出现;巴西人不把迟到半小时当回事,更别提许多人根本不知道确切的时间。

一八八四年,英国格林威治的一个时钟成为世界各地的标准时间。然而,它却无法统一人们抵达早上十点会议的时间。

虽然面对时间的文化态度迥异,但所有文化还是可归类为两种:「以时间为导向」和「以事件」为导向。在以时间为导向的文化中,行程表占有优先地位。在以事件为导向的文化中,发生「什么事」则比「何时」更要紧。对今日的世界旅人来说,这样的文化知识十分重要。了解人们如何看待时间,有助旅客在国外文化中更悠游自在。
水中的影,镜中的天
描述
快速回复

按"Ctrl+Enter"直接提交