社区应用 最新帖子 精华区 社区服务 会员列表 统计排行
主题 : 正在上新三的课,把笔记整理到这里
级别: 新手上路
显示用户信息 
20  发表于: 2004-04-15   
4.15----------------------------
as well as/ spiritual/ grudge/ deliberately/ as a consequence, consequently, a man of consequence/ afflict/ contempt/ be envious of/ speak of/ in the light of, according to/ arouse one’s pity/ be aware of/ be free from burden/ hull, bow, stern, anchor, cable, main sail, rudder, funnel. mast, derrick/ bargain hunter/ disembark, embark/ assail /inscribe/ gesture, gesticulate/ outrageous/thrust at sb. with an awl/ speed to
She spoke with wisdom as well as authority.
I grudge paying the tuition fee.
War and famine still afflict the human being.
We sometimes speak of farmers with contempt.
It is generally known that everyone leads a hard life.
I chose to lead the life I need.
Were I not completely aware of my duty to my family and my country, I would not come home tonight.
Life isn’t always what one likes.
It is generally believed that the British have a sarcastic sense of humor.
It is generally reported that cheating on exam is harmful.
How much do you want for this? What’s the price?
It’s too dear. Don’t try to rip me off. I know what this is worth.
If you don’t give me a better price, I would not buy it from you.
This is my final offer. Take it or leave it.
You drive a hard bargain.
If you bargain with the tradesman, he may reduce the price.

显示用户信息 
21  发表于: 2004-04-16   
4.16----------------------
no sooner than/ go to great length/ indicate/ eventually, finally/ readily, willingly/ largely, to a great degree/ universal influence/ pester sb to do/console/ hobble, waddle, babble, waffle, prattle, mumble/ compensate, make up for/ be bound up with/be based on/
dread/ take heart, lose heart/ conscientious/ suspect/ recluse, anchorite/ haunt, vaunt, flaunt/stay up, burn the midnight oil/ in time, gradually/ is indeed the case, is always the case/go to the wedding ceremony/none other than/ reveal, conceal/
Coffee always brings me around.
She had no sooner heard the terrible news than began to weep.
No sooner had she heard the terrible news than began to weep.
The country is largely desert land.
I pestered Adam to tell me where I could buy the cheapest reference books.
I try to console her when she is in low spirit.
Whether we find a girl beautiful or not largely depends on where we have been brought up.
Whether he has finished his homework doesn’t matter.
The question is whether he has finished the homework.
I am worry about whether he has finished his homework.
My future is firmly bound up with that of my motherland.
The sense of love is mysterious bound up with a sort of biochemical reaction.
There marriage was based on love at first sight.
In spite of national differences, Robbie has a universal appeal.
I dread speaking in public.
I dread to see him.
I dread that I will feel sick at the sight of the dead body.
It happens as with cages, the bird outside despair to get in and those inside despair of getting out.
Laborers always do manual work/ mental work.
She came to fame/ became famous overnight.
Rome was not built in a day.
We always take a walk in the moonlight.
Several suspect were arrested.
I suspect that he is dead.
Many soldiers were killed in the action.
Action speaks louder than words.
It is said the castle is haunted.
The new arrival was none other than Mr. Bush.
As he hates school life, he always plays truant.
All these years, the old man had lived as a beggar.

显示用户信息 
22  发表于: 2004-04-28   
4.16----------------------
no sooner than/ go to great length/ indicate/ eventually, finally/ readily, willingly/ largely, to a great degree/ universal influence/ pester sb to do/console/ hobble, waddle, babble, waffle, prattle, mumble/ compensate, make up for/ be bound up with/be based on/
dread/ take heart, lose heart/ conscientious/ suspect/ recluse, anchorite/ haunt, vaunt, flaunt/stay up, burn the midnight oil/ in time, gradually/ is indeed the case, is always the case/go to the wedding ceremony/none other than/ reveal, conceal/
Coffee always brings me around.
She had no sooner heard the terrible news than began to weep.
No sooner had she heard the terrible news than began to weep.
The country is largely desert land.
I pestered Adam to tell me where I could buy the cheapest reference books.
I try to console her when she is in low spirit.
Whether we find a girl beautiful or not largely depends on where we have been brought up.
Whether he has finished his homework doesn’t matter.
The question is whether he has finished the homework.
I am worry about whether he has finished his homework.
My future is firmly bound up with that of my motherland.
The sense of love is mysterious bound up with a sort of biochemical reaction.
There marriage was based on love at first sight.
In spite of national differences, Robbie has a universal appeal.
I dread speaking in public.
I dread to see him.
I dread that I will feel sick at the sight of the dead body.
It happens as with cages, the bird outside despair to get in and those inside despair of getting out.
Laborers always do manual work/ mental work.
She came to fame/ became famous overnight.
Rome was not built in a day.
We always take a walk in the moonlight.
Several suspect were arrested.
I suspect that he is dead.
Many soldiers were killed in the action.
Action speaks louder than words.
It is said the castle is haunted.
The new arrival was none other than Mr. Bush.
As he hates school life, he always plays truant.
All these years, the old man had lived as a beggar.

4.19---------------------------
be conscious of / invariably/ shrewd, a shrewd sales manager/ legendary, a legendary figure/ snob, snobbish, wound one’s pride, judge a person by his looks/ bedraggled, in such a bedraggled condition/ dump/ apologetic/stage fright/ elaborate, an elaborate proposal/ extremely, intensely/ refuse to/ present sb. with sth./ a great deal of possibility/ go to the press conference
Should friendship be lifelong or changeable?
People from different cultural backgrounds have different attitudes towards this topic.
Friendship is a kind of basic relationship between human beings.
As we all know, friendship plays an important role in our life.
In my view, friendship should be life long. But in real life, friendship is changeable with time passing.
I disregard social convention.
As a social convention, people going to a funeral wear dark clothes/dress in black.
I am quite conscious of my disadvantages.
Everyone should be conscious of his disadvantages.
Getting up at dawn is part of my daily routine.
Doing physical exercises in the park is part of his daily routine.
Do you work out?
I dump the bag on the table.
I apologize to him for breaking his vase.
I am speaking in an apologetic voice.
Her beauty and kindness won her the love and respect of the common people.
His wisdom and humor win him the love and respect of the common people.
Friendship adds color to the dull routine of everyday life.
I refuse to run an errand for my branch manager.
I was caught in a particularly heavy snowstorm.
The knight presented the king with the crown.
The secretary presented the president with the important letter.
I presented the mentor with my writing sample.
I presented the bride with a bunch of flowers.

4.21---------------------
salvage, salvage the sunken ship, sunken cheeks, rosy cheeks/ bullion/ scour, search, seek/ chest, plague/ belongings, possession/ item/ piece/convoy/ naval uniform/ ministry of National Defence/ sail into the harbor/ attempt to do/ precious, valuable, prize/ a cargo of/ a great deal of excitement/ carry, contain, hold, have/ wreck, ruins/ sth of importance/ prelude/ answer to the question/ unforeseen, unexpected/ catastrophe/ downtown, city, cosmopolitan, suburb, countryside, urban, rural/ collide/panic/ stray/ devour/
attend to, take care of, keep an eye on/ meanwhile, at the same time, in the meantime/ reduce sb to tears/slim, bony/ on a big scale/
I’ve worked as an accountant for two years since my graduation.
I take great pride in my job. I am always very efficient.
If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also.
We scoured the forest for the lost child.
The first item I bought was an electric iron.
We piece together the jigsaw puzzle/ Chinese puzzle.
The German invasion of Poland was a prelude to the Second World War.
Miserable life reduced him to a beggar.
Eating cucumbers and tomatoes reduced her to a skeleton.

4.23-------------------------
all of a sudden, suddenly/ stop one’s car, came to a stop, pull up, brake hard/ give rise to, cause, lead to/ benefit form/ antique, faker, antique dealer, fake commodity/fascination/ forbidding manner, forbidding countenance, forbidden city/ pretentious/ labyrinth/ musty/ junk/ litter/ dedicated/ amply/ beverage/ carve, inscribe, engrave/ muster up courage to do/ be bent on, be determine to do/ stock broker/ a mere, only/ lines/ remind sb. of/ rough/ pit, hole, fissure, crack, chasm/perturb, disturbing/ underestimate, overestimate/ swerve, turn sharply, veer/ ominously, ominous, omen/ rip open the envelop/ pleading/ grind/ halt, come to a halt/
not in the least/ give way to, be replaced by/ in response to/ take effect/ terrifying speed/ consult, look up, refer to/ charge at, rash at      
The fire caused a panic in the theatre.
Many workers benefited from the new policy.
The city of Wu Han has a fascination for me.
Please don’t litter.
We are amply supplied with food.
The TV series exert a peculiar fascination on a great many people.
Exclusive shop is a kind of forbidding place.
Man has to muster up courage to propose to the girl he loves.
The timid boy has to muster up courage to enter the fancy French restaurant.
No one achieves success by chance.
Fortune favors the prepared mind.
I am bent on investigating my money in stock.
The precious photo reminded her of her departed youth.
I can hardly conceal my amusement.
Let’s crack the book.
Some people grind their teeth during their sleep.
Try as we would, we failed to get Jimmy to cheer up.
I’m not in the least worried.
Bruce was not perturbed at all.
As spring gives way to summer, the days are getting hotter and hotter.
As autumn is replaced by winter, the days are getting colder and colder.
The road was covered with boulders and holes. We felt worried, but Bruce was not perturbed at all.
The boulders disappeared, giving way to a stretch of plain, so we felt quite relieved.
Suddenly we found that there was a huge fissure just ahead of us. In response to our several pleadings, Bruce stopped.
We were back on the plain again.
Our next obstacle was a shallow poll of water. Bruce charged at it, but finally he announced that there was no oil in the engine.

4.26--------------------
light, delicate, dark/ hoax, play a trick on/ deception/ be skill in, specialize in/ indulge in/drill, awl, owl/ in advance/ take sth for granted/ put out, extinguish/ tear up, destroy/ inform sb. of sth/ take sth seriously/ take sth lightly/ be grateful to sb/ sure enough, as he expected/ arrive on the scene, arrive on the spot/ threaten to do/ do as you please/ good-tempered, bad-tempered, ill-tempered/be under arrest, be arrested/ accompany sb to , follow sb. to/ only when/ illusion, delusion/ live under the illusion that/ pastoral scene/ breed, raise, bring up/ rapture, go into raptures/ extol, praise/ superior to, inferior to/ glint, glow, glisten/ virtually, almost/ dubious/ misery, miserable/ acquaintance, nodding acquaintance/ dweller, dwell, dwelt/ stagger, hobble, waddle/ staggering, surprising/ staggering achievement/ descend /country dweller, farmer, migrant worker/ regard as/ go into raptures/ friendly, hospitable, hostile/ academic atmosphere/ gentle pace of living, quick pace of living, gentlefolk/
I’m just looking around. I’d like to buy a tuxedo.
What size do you wear? I wear size eight.
Any particular color? I love the green one. Show me the black one in my size, please.
Can I try it on? Where is the fitting room? The fitting room is just behind the cashier.
How do you like it? It looks terrific on you! The suit shows your figure off nicely.
I’ll take it. I’ll settle for the green one.
He indulged himself in gambling.
Did you make the hotel reservation?
The young man threatened to commit suicide.
My book is virtually finished.
Money and social status bring him a lot of misery.
The sun descended behind the hills.
We are all recalling sth, furtively seeking sth.
We permit a great variety of opinions.

4.28------------------------
beyond/ considerate, considerable/ anxieties of this sort, this sort of anxiety/ drug store, shop around the corner, pharmacy/ exclusive shop, specialty/ rebate store, flea market, garage sale/supermarket, department store, shopping mall, mall rat/ make do with / do without/ shed, cast/ positively, absolutely/ stuffy/ lull, take a nap, doze off/ sleeper ticket, coach ticket/ one way ticket, return ticket, round ticket/ fumble/ destination/ intimidate/ exhilarating/ escapist/ sassy, sissy/ civilized society, savage society/escapist, epicure
I’d like to book a double room/single room/standard room/suite/presidential suite.
How much is the room per night? Standard room is fifty bucks per night.
I’d like a book on the 5th floor. I’d like a room with a view. I’d like a non-smoking room.
Is the room service available?
Please give me a morning call/wake up call at 7:30 am tomorrow.
When is the check out time?
Taking the part of Juliet appeals to me.
The soap is gentle enough for your sensitive skin.
Lee is always regarded as a vase.
Nothing can be compared with her marble forehead, bright eyes, great nose, rosy cheeks, red lips and supple knees.
Nothing can be compared with his bright eyes, hooked nose, tender lips, broad shoulders and strong muscles.
The arrangement of the meeting is beyond me.
His plan is quite beyond me.
It is quite beyond me why he idles his precious time day after day.
Watching TV is always a pleasure.
The moon shed her light. The sun cast his beams.
My nose is stuffy/ running.
The door clicked shut.
Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
I was intimidated into silence.
I’m exhilarating to learn that he got married.

显示用户信息 
23  发表于: 2004-05-01   
4.30-------------------------
a big wig, two-faced people, phony, a hard nut to crack, jack-of-all-trades/ gargle/ refinement/ breathtaking/ soar, rise, increase, grow to/ landscape, view, sight, scene, scenery/ fresh, active/ be entitled to, make access to free medical care/ draw one’s attention, attract/ distract, take one’s mind off/ consider, take the view that, believe/ lull one to sleep/ glass ceiling, invisible obstacle, main stream/ by comparison, in comparison/ delicacy/ be likely to/ get sb. to someplace/ keep one occupied/ stretch out/ recover from/ democratic/ restrict the freedom of speech, give a speech/ abuse/ contention, my contention is that/ untold, limitless/ perpetual, everlasting, permanent/ obscurity/ radically/ exclusive/ merchandise, commodity/ mass media/ condemn, denounce, criticized/ political events/ modern, phenomenon, phenomena, variety, environment, government /respect other’s privacy, intrude other’s privacy/ curiosity/ poverty-stricken area/ one child family/ be face (up) with/ make a name for oneself, come to fame, become famous, rise to fame/ advertise one’s product/ promote sales/ pay the price for/ plead/
College is a fountain of knowledge where some people come to drink, some come to sip, but most just come to gargle.
Very quietly I take my leave, as quietly as I came here, quietly I waved goodbye, to the rosy clouds in the western sky.
Birds are soaring over the hills.
I take the view that hard work is the best way to take my mind off my grief/suffering.
She was likely to appear at the party in full fig.
I’m occupied from morning till night. I’m busy with work.
The interview is exclusive to this magazine.
Life was a perpetual struggle against poverty.
We must fight against poor memory.
His marriage is a perpetual struggle against his wife all his life.
English is so popular that no one can plead ignorance of it.
You are what you think you are.

显示用户信息 
24  发表于: 2004-05-11   
51长假之后第一次上课
5.10------------------------------
newlyweds/ gaily/ spare time, leisure time/ be keen on sth/ novice/ assemble/ outlet/ creative/ resourceful/ get along well with, mix well with/ rickety/ clog/ adjust oneself to sth/screw/ dismantle/ chunk/ the rope snapped/ insurmountable/ jigsaw puzzle/ nag/ increasingly/ embark on/ time-consuming work, all consuming work/ lay out/ go so far as to, so as to/ pent up feelings/ tend to/ break down, out of order, fail to operate/ get round to sth/ as far as I can see/ trace the cause of the trouble/ needless, undoubtedly, no doubt/ cultivate people’s sense of environmental protection/ overpopulated/ over-industrialized/ sheer, by sheer chance/ worldwide, universal/ overwhelm, overwhelming, overwhelming status
The movie is a box office success.
The movie is a smash/hit.
I’m a big movie junkie.
The girl was chattering gaily all the way.
The business man is keen on public welfare./ I am keen on taking a trip to Europe this summer.
He is resourceful enough to mix well with all kind of people.
The pipe was clogged with rubbish./ Heavy traffic clogged the freeway.
I adjust myself to the weather in Wu Han.
He nagged her husband to death.
My mother nags me to return to Shanghai.
I become so embarrassed that I flushed.
So embarrassed did I become that I flushed.
The sales manager was so angry as to smash the furniture.
I am so timid as to be afraid of my own shadow.
The orator was so eloquent as to move us to tears.
People tend to amass possessions.
I don’t know when I’ll get round to the movie “Troy”.
We can not let this situation go as it is.

显示用户信息 
25  发表于: 2004-05-12   
今天笔记超级少
5.12---------------------
owe sb. some money, owe some money to sb./ on the whole / with time/ harsh, mild/ insidious, ingenious, ingenuous/ profound sigh/
irritating, irritation/ mobile features/ offend/ staggering, stagger, staggering failure/ overwhelm/ lead to, result in/ assist sb. to do sth/
range/ object to, be opposed to/ in comparison with/ golden memory
The age of the students ranged from 12 to 68.
显示用户信息 
26  发表于: 2004-05-14   
5.14---------------------
rambling/ sentimentally/ lavishly/ lavish spender, high roller, low roller/ immaculate/ gleam, glint, glow, glisten/ preside over the press conference/ invisible/ scrub/ enlightened/ fickleness, fickle, stable/ disillusion, be disillusion with/ mirth/ cellar/ air one’s views on sth/ attach to/ persist in doing/ entertain lavishly/ carry on/ gain one’s confidence/ can’t find words to praise one’s qualification/ be absent from/ sth is well below the usual standard/ come to the conclusion, draw the conclusion, reach the conclusion, jump to the conclusion/ have a difficult time doing
The moonlight gleamed on the river.
Courage gleamed in his eyes.
1977 saw me born in Shanghai.
Listen to both sides and you will be enlightened.
Many common people are disillusion with the present government.
Women don’t like to air their views on football.
Although he isn’t short of money, he persist in doing odd jobs.
I have a difficult time trying to comfort/console her.
显示用户信息 
27  发表于: 2004-05-17   
5.17-------------------------
resolution, a man of resolution/ perseverance/ mentally, mentor/ compile/ formidable, frightening/ recur/ accomplishment, achievement, attainment/ inveterate liar, inveterate hatred/ a health insurance scheme/ pitfall/ modest request, extravagant demand/ formidable/ assiduous, diligent, industrious/ troop, trooper/ unsettle/ taunt, jibe, gibe/ tolerant, broad-minded, easy-going/ undoing/year in year out/ resolve to do, be determined to/ take a dog for a walk/ sth is beyond attainment/ experience the frustration/ sense of frustration/ carry out/ fundamental error/ apply oneself to sth, dedicate oneself to/ apply for a loan/ fend off/ doze off, take a nap/ within one’s scope/ insect/ wage a war on/ contaminate, taint/ provoke/ adamant, as old as Adam/ revulsion, repulsion/ horde, cluster, colony/ uncanny, mysterious/ entranced/ beetle/ luscious/ a sticky problem/ scurry, hurry and scurry/ swarm/ ingenuity/
ingenious, ingenuous
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird; that cannot fly. Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field, frozen with snow.
You should show more resolution.
It takes years of hard work to compile a good dictionary.
Her red face betrayed her nervousness.
Don’t make jibes about girl’s appearance.
No ifs, ands and buts.
Don’t find any excuses for your failure.
I do the boring job day in day out.
Last summer it rained week in week out.
I resolve to conquer my dislike of study.
I resolve to read in terms of my own taste.
Past experience has taught us that parents are always right.
Past experience has taught us that the first impression is not always reliable.
I expect her to carry out her promise.
The prince announced his engagement to the public.
The writer applied himself to writing his autobiography.
I applied to the American consul for a visa.
I fended off their blow with my arms.
Flies contaminate the foods.
Don’t read the hot story. It will contaminate your mind.
What a lousy film!

显示用户信息 
28  发表于: 2004-05-20   
5.19--------------------
have been brought up to fear/ do...harm, do...good/ devour, eat up/ crops, grain, corn/ bite off more than one can chew/ lighted window/ live in dread of sth/ dispel one’s fears/ afraid, dread, fright, dismay, panic, scared/ be filled with/ crawl, climb, scramble, creep/ sense of direction, sense of duty, sense of pride, sense of accomplishment, sense of frustration/ sense of sight, sense of hearing, sense of taste, sense of smell, sense of touch/ logical, sensible, rational, reasonable/ a logical mind, a sensible choice, rational being, reasonable price/ at the same time, in the meantime, meanwhile/ fascinating, attractive, charming, enchanting/ go about your own business/ go to the laundry/ be bound up with/ the boundary of knowledge/ pump up this tire/ predecessor/ crown/ holly, pine, cypress, fir, laurel/ occurrence, daily occurrence, random occurrence, event, incident/ site/ site the power plant by the river/ die without issue/ spell, cause, lead to, give rise to/ stall, cow shed/ sweeping victory/ critical juncture/ unduly, excessively/ a stout ship, a stout body/ submerge, emerge/ seize, get hold of/
We have been brought up to fear examination.
His film was complete failure and this did great harm to his career.
It will do you good to have a holiday.
The little boy lives in dread of failing the test.
We live in dread of ghost.
I live in dread of failing in my investment.
The businessman was filled with sense of achievement.
Kate went about planning her holiday.
Our washing machine doesn’t work, so we have to call in a mechanic who knows how to go about repairing it.
The river is the boundary between the two countries.
Life is like a lottery, in which chance and opportunity play an important part.
The government played an important part in the settlement of the boundary dispute.
The headmaster played an important part in the good running of our school.

显示用户信息 
29  发表于: 2004-05-22   
最后一次课
5.21------------------------------
make a living, earn one’s living, gain one’s living/ my leg muscles/ income tax/ import duty, orange juice, career guide, customs officer, arts degree, commodities fair/ instinctively/ overtake/ party animal/ hard by/ in that/ proportion, part, fraction/ spell, cause/
disaster, calamity/ creep up, overflow/ newcomer, new arrival/ put out of order/ manage, deal with, handle/ get a sweeping view of/
take turns to do sth/ exhausted, tire out/ rising flood/ sound, solid, stout/ wade, invade, evade, pervade/ a corner of, a tip of/ in the hope of, in order to/ emigrate/ absorb, be absorbed in, concentrate on/ embedded, be embedded in/ mortally/ comprehensive knowledge, comprehensive explanation, comprehensive planning/ milestone/ retrace their steps, retrace the past events in one’s mind/ objective, destination/ have expected/ be alien to/ take sb abroad/ gradually, little by little, with the passage of time/ mean to do/ see the old folk/ on one’s own/ on the last stage/ positive/ not that...but that/ according to sb/ take a turning/ man-made/ a spot of, a bit of/ lift, escalator/ monstrous/ negligence of dress/ prudent, be prudent in speech/ composure, keep one’s composure, lose one’s composure, composed/ intruder, invader/ hinder, prevent sb from doing/ chaos, disorder, confusion/ inconceivable, unbelievable/ veritable/ magpie/ toss, throw, cast/ toss sth aside/ discard/ fussy, be fussy about/ at the thought of, at the sight of, during her absence/ a bank job/ amass, accumulate/ discriminate, indiscriminate/ mania, a mania for neatness/ remote, faint, slight/ remote possibility/ strong-minded/ relaxation, play golf for relaxation/ bearing, relationship/ constructively/contended, an contented smile, a contented expression/ unwanted objects/ in the belief that/ over the years/ highly qualified intellectual, blue stockings/ abstruse, profound/ blame, reproach, scold, reprimand, condemn/ diversion, divert/ trial, nuisance, stand a trial/ flourish/ bring sth to a conclusion/ in ordinary living/ cutting things fine/ be tempted to do/ sudden descent of rain/ befall, overtake/ be due
Friendship, love and affection play an enormous part in our lives.
The scientist went abroad in the hope of earning more money.
Many scientists emigrated from Europe to the US.
That terrible day will be embedded in children’s memory.
The invention of the lens was a milestone in the history of mankind.
Orange trees are alien to Canada.
Cheating is alien to my nature.
His ideas are alien to my way of thinking.
I don’t mean to disturb you.
I can’t eat any more. It’s not that the food is not delicious, but that I am full.
Don’t hinder him in his work.
He is fussy about his cloth.
I was depressed at the thought of my distant hometown.
Life is full of trials.

描述
快速回复

按"Ctrl+Enter"直接提交