社区应用 最新帖子 精华区 社区服务 会员列表 统计排行
主题 : 《10天背诵英文10000单词◎教程》
级别: 骑士
显示用户信息 
20  发表于: 2003-12-02   
Lesson 20
[size=3.5]
The students have access to the library only in the afternoon.
Last year we had several floods, we had an excess of rain.
Long age Eskimos learned how to adapt to the cold to live in the Arctic Region.
The club adopted a new set of rules concerning its membership.
His adverse criticism didn’t upset me, but encouraged me.
My parents are averse to our picnic plan; they don’t approve of it.
The government decisions whether to continue the project will affect the future of our national economy.
I have warned him to drive slowly several times, but it doesn’t have any effect at all.
The new secretary is sincere and quite without affectation.
His gentleness and kind ways increased his colleagues’ affection for him.
The preacher likes to make an allusion to Homer while preaching.
The white walls create the illusion that the room is very large.
My birthday party is the biggest annual event of my family.
The judge annulled the contract because one of the signers was too young.
The couple appraised the house carefully before offering to buy it.
The club members were immediately apprised of his change of plans.
We should try to settle the matter by argument, not by fighting.
The king augmented his pore by taking over rights that had belonged to the nobles.
The man assured himself that the bridge was safe before crossing it.
He insured his car against accident, theft, and fire.
Don’t forget to check your work to insure its accuracy.
The doctor tied up the patient’s broken ankle with a bandage.
They seem to love bondage more than liberty.
Pack the books in a small carton to carry it easily.
Political cartoons often represent the U.S. as a tall man with chin whiskers, called Uncle Sam.
The novel was banned by the censor as likely to stir up suspicion of the government among the readers.
Every dictator censors the newspapers in his country.
The principal of the school censured the students for their rude behavior.
Many people were killed in the collision between the bus and the car.
The leaders of the collusion against the government were caught and punished.
I have only one confidant to whom I can tell my secrets.
The doctor felt confident that his patient would recover from pneumonia.
I am Swedish. Is there a Swedish consul in Omaha?
The council of ministers advised the king to dismiss the general.
The young man refused to listen to the old man’s counsel.
The murder suspect refused to answer the questions on the advice of his counsel.
The Hopkinses run the biggest dairy farm in the state of Arizona.
It is very rewarding to keep a diary of daily happenings.
Upon his decease all his properties passed to his wife.
Measles and chicken pox are two diseases of childhood.
It is not decent to laugh at a crippled person.
The road makes a sharp descent just around the corner.
The three justices dissented from the Supreme Court’s decision.
Dissent among the senior members was the main cause of the disintegration of the club.
级别: 新手上路
显示用户信息 
21  发表于: 2003-12-03   
up!:)
显示用户信息 
22  发表于: 2003-12-05   
Lesson 21
[size=3.5]
Lawrence rode a camel across the desert on an exploring expedition.
He had intended to desert his wife and children, but changed his mind.
Strawberry pie is one of my most favorite desserts.
Many students know how to disassemble the radio, but few know how to put it together.
She tried to dissemble her anger with a smile on her face.
I’ve made a first draught of my speech for Friday, but it still needs a lot of work.
The long drought has killed most of the crops in the fields.
She knows a lot of eligible young men who are all rich and attractive.
The ink had faded so that many words were illegible.
Washington was eminent both as general and as president.
The scientist predicted that an earthquake was imminent in Tokyo area.
The members exalted Mr.Smith when they elected him president of the association.
All the people exulted to find that our national team won the gold medal in the International Basketball Tournament.
The trap made of an old tin can and some wire is an ingenious device.
The ingenuous person had never thought of being suspicious of what others told him.
When my little brother sees mother holding the new baby, he becomes jealous.
The clerk in the toy section of the department seems very zealous in pleasing the customers.
The dress that Miss Lee was wearing at the party was made of synthetic material.
The statesman said the Iron Curtain countries had vast resources in manpower and materiel.
George Washington is known to be a moral and just man.
I am sure that we will win the battle, the morale of our troops is very high.
Freedom of religious worship was guaranteed to all settlers in the Northwest Territory by the ordinance of 1787.
The pirate ships in the West Indies were armed with heavy ordnance.
The minister worked very hard to make the rounds of his parish and visit the homes of the sick.
They said that this flower would not perish even when frost comes.
The police still don’t know who perpetrated the murder of the housewife.
This monument was built to perpetuate the memory of the national hero.
Many psychologists are inclined to attribute the formation of personality entirely to the operation of the cultural and physical environment.
That car is his personaly using it without his permission is illegal.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake.
The engineer of the wrecked train was prosecuted for criminal negligence.
He prosecuted an inquiry into reasons for the company’s failure.
The author takes his portable typewriter wherever he goes.
They set up purifying systems in dozens of places where the water was not potable.
Good citizens always do what the laws prescribe.
The doctor prescribed a new medicine for the pain in my joints.
In earlier days, the church proscribed dancing and card playing.
Slaughter and destruction are terrible realities of war.
His realty includes a big mansion and several buildings in Taipei.
Nearly every city in the United States has a statue of some famous man.
A man six feet tallis above average stature in this part of the world.
My family is going to have a short vacation on the east coast .
You will not make a good teacher,unless you feel teching is your vocation.
显示用户信息 
23  发表于: 2003-12-05   
Lesson 22
[size=3.5]
My wife is an alumna of National Taiwan University.
President Kennedy was an alumnus of Harvard University.
My son and my daughter are both alumni of Ohio State University.
Cats are amoral,they can’t be censured for killing birds.
Lying and stealing are considered immoral conducts in every human society.
Most scientists believe their research to be unmoral,no matter what the results will be.
Stamp collecting as well as fishing is Mr.Evan’s favorite avocation.
Bookkeeping is Mr.Jones’ vocation, and photography is his avocation.
Our school doctor recommends biannual visit to the dentist,I am going to the dentist’s for the second time this year.
The sophomores and seniors are taking the biennial exam this afternoon.
He is replacing the broken chord of his violin.
He had tied the package with a cord before he took it to the post office.
He clenched his teeth to endure the pain of the wound suffered from the accident.
By clinching nails over the canvas they held the torn sail to the mast.
For fifty years or more the climate of the Arctic has been warming up gradually.
The weather will be very hot and humid in Kaohsiung today.
We compared two books to see which one had the better illustrations.
She contrasted her presetn life of luxury with the poverty of her childhood.
The words “snake”and “red” have unpleasant connotations for many people.
The denotation of the word “home” is “place where one lives,”but it has many connotations.
Cheating on a test is considered one of the most contemptible acts in the Military Academy.
The rich man is contemptuous of my humble home and poor surroundings.
We experienced a continual series of hot spells last summer.
On holidays, we can see a continuous line of cars on highways.
It hardly seems credible that your son has grown so tall in one year.
Only a credulous person would fall for that old trick.
An umpire must be an entirely disinterested but keen observer.
The audience yawned and seemed uninterested in the politician’s speech.
The office where everything had worked so smoothly,became completely disorganized after Mr Levine resigned.
Form a union,an unorganized mob can accomplish nothing but chaos.
A well-balanced diet is made up of divers foods.
A great many diverse opinions were expressed at the meeting,but none was worthwhile.
The training airplane has dual controls,oen set for the learner and one for the teacher.
The opposing two lawyers fought a duel to settle their differences.
John is such an egoist that he only cares about himself.
Marian is such an egotist that she talks about herself all the time.
After the shower, the sun emerged from behind the clouds.
He immerged his aching feet in a bucket of hot water.
It is expected that the total number of emigrants from this country will reach 20000 this year.
California has several thousands of immigrants from other states.
显示用户信息 
24  发表于: 2003-12-05   
Vocabulary 22000

Imagination Radiating Method
[size=3.5]
Skill
Young Ben franklin learned the printing trade by serving as an apprentive to his half brother James.
Eric is clumsy with tools;he has little mechanical aptitude.
To build a house, you need the servic3s of carpenters,bricklayers,plumbers,electricians,and several other craftsmen.
You can’t expect an apprentice to have the same dexterity as a master craftsman.
Our adroit passing enabled us to score four touchdowns.
Jack is an ambidextrous hitter;he can bat right-handed or left-handed.
Leonardo da Vinci was remarkably versatile.He was a painter,sculptor,architect,musician,engineer and scientist.
显示用户信息 
25  发表于: 2003-12-05   
[size=3.5]
Poverty

By hard work,many Americans have raised themselves from indigence to wealth.
Housewives can economize by buying their milk in gallon containers.
The increase in dues is only 10 cents. It will not impoverish any memer.
The severe earthquake killed hundreds of people and left thousands destitute.
The old man had nothing to eat but bread and cheese;yet he offered to share this frugal meal with his visitor.
An allowance of $200 a week for lunches and fares isn’t much,but you can get by on it if you are frugal.

Wealth

People who suffer from avarice spend much less and save much more than they should.
With his wife’s dowry,the young attorney was able to open a law office.
To own an expensive home,a yacht,and a limousine,you have to be a man of means.
Dickens contrasts the opulence of France’s nobility with the indigence of her peasants.
Peter coveted his neighbor’s farm but could not get her to sell it.
If your brother paid $400 for that car,he was fleeced.the mechanic says it is worth $150.
Tom had a reputation as a miser who hoarded every penny he could get his hands on.
The new wing to the hospital was made possible by a gift of $500000 from an affluent contributor.
People who keep spending more than they earn usually get into financial difficulties.
The young heir was warned that he would soon have nothing left if he continued to be lavish with money.
Vera’s composition is good,but it doesn’t deserve the lavish praise that Linda gave it.
To run a restaurant is a lucrative business.

Fear

A hero risks his life to help others;a craven runs from the scene.
I thought Carol would be nervous when she made her speech,but she delivered it without trepidation.
Brave men defy tyrants,instead of cowering before them.
The younger boys would not have given up the playing field so quickly if the older boys hadn’t intimidated them.
Several apprehensive parents telephoned the school when the children were late in getting home from the museum trip.
It was dastardly of the captain to desert the sinking vessel and leave the passengers to fend for themselves.
If the other team challenges us, we should accept. Let’s not be so timid.
Courage
Robert E.Peary won worldwide fame for his exploits as an Arctic explorer.
The captain showed remarkable fortitude in continuing to lead his men despite a painful wound.
Risking serious injury,the outfielder made an audacious leap against the concrete wall and caught the powerfully hit ball.
After we had waited for about twenty minutes,an audacious freshman came along and tried to get in at the head of our line.
Concealment
Inspector Javert discovered that John Smith was not the mayor’s real name but an alias for Jean Valjean, the ex-convict.
Jean Valjean,alias John Smith, was arrested by Inspector Javert.
I have read the first homework problem several times but can’t understand it. Maybe you can help me with this enigma.
General Braddock’s troops,marching in columns,were easy targets for the Indians lurking behind trees.
To find a quiet place to study,bruce had to seclude himself in the attic.
Before the Revolutionary War, an underground organization,know as the Sons of Liberty, uased to hold clandestine meetings Boston.
A good education will elp you discover and develop your latent talents.
The burglar must have been very stealthy if he was able to get past the two watchmen without being noticed.

Disclosure

The white flag of surrender is an avowal of defeat.
The magazine has apprised its readers of an increase in rates beginning January 1.
I told my secret only to Margaret because I knew she would not divulge it.
By questioning the witness,the attorney elicited the fact that it was raining at the time of the accident.
The new student was going in the wrong direction until someone enlightened him that his room is at the other end of the hall.
My art teacher told my parents that I have failed to manifest any interest in her subject.
It is now manifest that,if I do not do my work,I will fail the course.
The teacher didn’t believe that Ned was annoying me until she saw him in the overt act of pulling my hair.
Agreement
Though we are in accord on what our goals should be,we differ on the means for achieving them.
The states bordering on the Delaware River have entered into a compact for the sharing of its water.
At first, the union and management were far apart on wages,but they finally came to a compromise.
When I asked my English teacher if I might change my topic,he readily acceded to my request.
When a new style in clothes appears,women usually haten to conform.
The rank of second lieutenant in the Army corresponds to that of ensign in the Navy.
Gilbert’s skill as a writer dovetailed Sullivan’s talent as a composer,resulting in the famous Gilbert and Sullivan operattas.
After our quarrel,my brother and I refused to talk to each other until Mother reconciled us.
The mayor has banned all lawn sprinkling because of the water shortage. However, if the reservoirs fill up,he may relent somewhat.
Miss Evans knows that Arthur and I can’t be on the same committee. We’re not compatible.
By bringing up an unrelated matter you are not being consistent with your previous statement that we should stick to the topic.
显示用户信息 
26  发表于: 2003-12-05   
[size=3.5]
Disagreement

The teacher halted the altercation by separating the two opponents before they could come to blows.
Our party hopes to repair the cleavage in its ranks so that it may present a united front in the coming elections.
Billy budd put an end to the discord aboard the RIGHTS-OF-MAN.He was an excellent peacemaker.
Eighty students came to the dance but only seventy-four tickets were collected at the door. Can you account for this discrepancy?
At the budget hearing,there was considerable friction between the supporters and the opponents of higher taxes.
Some business disputes can be settled out of court;others require litigation.
The official antagonized the leader of his own party by accusing him of cowardice.
The vote approving the amendment was far from unanimous;six members dissented.
Motorists who disregard traffic regulations eventually become embroiled with the law.
A quarrel over an inheritance estranged the brothers for many years.
When I left,two neighbors were quarreling noisily. When I returned an hour later, they were still wrangling.
It is doubtful whether anyone can make peace between the estranged partners;they have becoem irreconcilable.
Cynthia is an independent thinker. Her opinions are often at variance with those of the rest of the class.

Eating

There is a shelf in our kitchen for pepper,salt,mustard,catsup and other condiments.
I had a second helping and would have taken a third except that I didn’t want to be considered a glutton.
The hikes were so hungry that they devoured the hamburgers as fast as they were served.
On a sultry afternoon you may find a long line of people at the drinking fountain,waiting to slake their thirst.
Never eat wild mushrooms,even though they look edible. They may be poisonous.
The watermelon was very luscious. Everyone wanted another slice.
The main dish had little flavor,but I made it palatable by adding condiments.
The steak will be dry if you leave it in the oven longer. Take it our now if you want it to be succulent.
John would not be overweight if he were not such a voracious eater.
Size / Quantity
After the test I thought at first I had done very well, then quite well,and finally,poorly.I ran the gamut from confidence to despair.
If you make the same mistake again,despite all my warnings,I will not hae one iota of sympathy for you.
Shopping for clothes can be a small matter for some,but a problem of the greatest magnitude for others.
At those low wages,few will apply for the job. Who wants to work for a pittance?
Our committee doesn’t need any more help. We have superabundance of helpers.
Since the football has lost air,we shall need a pump to inflate it.
The game will be played in a colossal arena with a seating capacity of more than 60,000.
Even during change of classes there is no crowding because the halls and stairways are commodious.
In our science lesson tomorrow we shall consider whether space is bounded or infinite.
If there is any salt in this soup,it must be infinitesimal. I can’t taste it.
Frank kept my book for such an inordinate length of time that I shall never lend him anything again.
The trouble with your studying is that you spend too much time on picayune details and not enough on the really important matters.
The skyscraper dwarfs the surrounding buildings.by comparison to it,they seem puny.

Weakness

But he soon overcame this infirmity.
The patient had been so debilitated by the fever that he lacked the strength to sit up.
Evervated by the heat,we rested under a shady tree until our strength was restored.
Ruth will be absent today. She is incapacitated by a sore throat.
When industry moves away,a flourishing town may quickly become decadent.
Bill rode past the street on a horse that looked decrepit and about to collapse.
Up the road was an abandoned farmhouse,partially in ruins,and near it a barn,even more dilapidated.
Judy understands algebra well but I have only a flimsy grasp of the subject.
To be an astronaut,you must be in robut health. It is not an occupation for a frail person.

Strength

For centuries the British regarded their navy as their principal bulwark against invasion.
The fortified city of Singapore was once considered unconquerable.In 1942,however,this citadel fell to the Japanese.
I am better than Jack in English but not in math;that is his forte.
The robust young pitcher performed with his usual vigor for seven innings,but he weakened in the eighth and was removed from the game.
If you feel enervated by the heat,try a swim in the cool ocean. It will invigorate you.
Excuses for not handing work in on time vary. Some are flimsy,as, for example,”I left it at home.” Others are more cogent,such as a physician’s note.
If you elect Jessica,you may be sure she will present our views forcefully and energetically.She is a very dynamic speaker.
Our hopes for an easy victory sank when our opponents took the field.They were much taller and huskier,and they looked formidable.
Before World War II,the French regarded their Maginot Line as an impregnable bulwark against a German invasion.
The lifeguard was in excellent physical condition.I had never seen anyone more robust.
After the dog got the ball,I tried to dislodge it from her tenacious jaws,but I couldn’t.
Your protest was too mild. If it had been more vehement,the dealer might have paid attention to it.
显示用户信息 
27  发表于: 2003-12-05   
[size=3.5]
Neglect

The royals must be on the playing field by 4 p.m. if they do not appear,they will lose the game by default.
The finance company took away Mr.Lee’s car when he defaulted on the payments.
The motorist was given a ticket for ignoring a stop sign.
Some of the students in the play neglected their studies during rehearsals,but after the performance they caught up quickly.
For leaving his post,the guard was charged with neglect of duty.
Before his injury,Mike used to jump from the stairs,heedless of the “No Jumping”sign.Now he pays attention to it.
Unfortunately,I made an inadvertent remark about Irma’s failure while she was present.
The owner of the stolen car was himself remiss.he left the keys the vehicle.
You would not expect anyone so neat in her personal appearance to be slovenly in her housekeeping.

Care

My brother’s solicitude over getting into college ended when he received word that he had been accepted.
The night watchmen who apprehended the thief ws praised for his vigilance.
Our teacher said that we might have a test,but I didn’t heed her.That’s why I was unprepared.
The guard at the gte scrutinizzed Harvery’s pass before letting him in,but he just glanced at mine.
You were discreet not to say anything about our plans when Harry was here. He can’t keep a secret.
Before signing a contract,one should read it carefully,including the fine print. This is one case where it pays to be meticulous.
Mr.Brooks refused to be a judge because his wife’s niece is a contestant. He is very scrupulous.
General Braddock might not have been defeated if he had been wary of an ambush.

Residence

On their safari,the hunters stalked lions,tigers,and other ferocious denizens of the jungle.
The announcement read:”The Coopers have moved and invite you to visit them at their new domicile,22 Apple Street.”
When the warden took charge,the prison had fewer than 100 inmates.
The entire Russo family are natives of New Jersey except the grandparents,who were born in Italy.
Tobacco,potatoes,and tomatoes are native American plants that were introduced into Europe by explorers returning from the New World.
Nomads have no fixed homes but move from region to region to secure their food supply.
On her trip home,Jane will stop in St.Louis for a two day sojourn with relatives.
Hundreds of thousands of suburban residents regularly commute to the city.
Because they were persecuted in England,the Puritans migrated to Holland.
In winter,many European birds migrate to the British Isles in search of a more temperate climate.
Most of the Indians of the North American plains are nomadic.
After living abroad or a time,Robert became homesick for his native land.

Disobedience

The union showed defiance of the court order against a strike by calling the workers off their jobs.
Parking at the bus stop is illegal. Motorists committing this infraction are heavily fined.
When the revolt broke out,the government ordered its troops to arrest the insurgents.
The insurrection was easily suppressed,less than a dozen being slain on both sides.
The work stoppage was caused by a few malcontents who felt they had been ignored when the promotions were made.
The author of the pamphlet advocating the overthrow of the government was arrested for sedition.
Jack’s previous record showed he had been an obedient student and had never transgressed school regulations.
The owner erected a “Keep OFF” sign to discourage strangers from trespassing on his land.
Do as mother says. If you are insubordinate,father will probably hear of it.
Though I had care fully explained the shorter route to him, the perverse youngster came by the longer way.

Obedience

Every school day,millions of children “pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands.”
Though I wasn’t enthusiastic about Tom’s plan to go fishing,I acquiesced in it because there seemed nothing else to do.
Husbands as a rule do not decide on the colors of home furnishings but defer to their wives in these matters.
Mr.Walker,who had been told that he was getting a disciplined class,was surprised to find it unruly.
Though he boasted he would never be taken alive,the outlaw submitted without a struggle when the police arrived.
Dan is easy to each,but his brother is not so docile.
Only two of the girls protested when they were ordered off the field. The rest were too meek to complain.
We tried to get Joe to change his mind,but he was not pliable. Perhaps you can influence him.
For his cabinet,the dictator wanted tractable men. Therefore,he appointed no one whom he could not control.
显示用户信息 
28  发表于: 2003-12-05   
[size=3.5]
Time

My sister dawdles over the dishes. Mother gets them done without wasting time.
Most of the picnickers took cover when rain seemed imminent. The few that procrastinated got drenched.
We had planned to stay only for lunch but,at our host’s insistence, we protracted our visit until after dinner.
Carl’s sore arm is not a new development but the return of a chronic ailment.
Rhoda is a chronic complainer. She is always dissatisfied.
When the strike is settled,there will probably be an increase in wages and a concurrent increase in prices.
By the sudden darkening of the skies and the thunder in the distance,we could tell that rain was imminent.
Certain serious deseases can be successfully treated if detected in and incipient stage.
There were intervals when the sun broke through the clouds,because the showers were intermittent.
Don’t think that war has plagued only our times. It has been aperennial curse of man.
Some grasses last only a year. Others are perennial.
Though polio has practically been wiped out,there have been sporadic cases of the disease.

Necessity

The union and management held a lengthy meeting without getting to the essence of the men’s dissatisfaction-low wages.
A mark of at least 75% in Basic Art is a prerequisite for Advenced Art.
Can your family afford the extra expense that a larger apartment entails?
Mr. Brown told Ellen that her refusal to work necessitates sending for her parents.
If your friend ere in trouble,wouldn’t you feel obliged to go his help?
Helen has agreed to lend me the book I need. This obviates my trip to the library.
State law makes attendance at school compulsory for children of certain ages.
Were it not for your gratuitous interference,the children would have quickly settled their dispute.
If you have failed a subject you need for graduation,it is imperative that you go to summer school.
Dan felt it incumbent on him to pay for the window,since he had hit the ball that broke it.
We can do without luxuries and entertainment. However,food,shelter,and clothing are indispensable.
Before preparing for tomorrow’s party,I have some more prssing matters to attend to, such as finishing my report.
Since we already have enough food for the picnic,please don’t bring any because it will only be superfluous.
显示用户信息 
29  发表于: 2003-12-05   
希腊词根
[size=3.5]
Aut,Auto --- self

In her autobiography The Story of My Life, Helen keller tells how unruly she was as a young child.
The autocrat was replaced by a ruler responsible to the people.
The baseball star wrote his autograph for an admirer who came up to him with a pencil and scorecard.
Many workers have lost their jobs as a result of automation.
An autocrat prefers his subjects to be automatons,rather than intelligent human beings.
After World War II, many colonies were granted autonomy and became independent nations.
The cause of the actor’s sudden death will not be known until the autopsy has been performed.
When you withdraw money,the bank compares your signature with the one in its files to see if it is authentic.
You do not have to defrost this refrigerator because it is equipped with an automatic defroster.
The Alumni Association is not under the control of the school. It is a completely autonomous group.

Cracy---government

Before 1789,France was an aristocracy.
When the Revolution of 1789 began,many members of the French aristocracy fled to other lands.
Germany under Adolf Hitler ws an autocracy.
The mayor was criticized for setting up an inefficient bureaucracy unresponsive to the needs of the people.
France helped the Thirteen Colonies establish the firse New World democracy.
If only millionaires can afford to run for office,we shall quickly become a plutocracy.
Many are opposed to a technocracy because they do not wish to be ruled by technical experts.
An aristocrat would like to see noblemen in control of the government.
Winston Churchill was born an aristocrat;he was the son of Sir Randolph Churchill.
The Senator used to be a Republican but is now a Democrat.

Dem,Demo---people

No responsible leader,only a demagogue,would tell the people that,if elected,he will solve all their problems.
The high rate of absence in the lower grades last spring was caused by the measles epidemic.
Federal aid was granted to the depressed area where unemployment had risen to epidemic proportions.
The adoption of the 19th Amendment,giving women the franchise greatly democratized the United States.
A nation cannot be considered democratic unless its leaders are chosen by the people in free elections.

Pan,panto---complete

A two-week vacation is wonderful for fatigue,but will not cure baldness or improve vision. It is no panaca.
The huge crowds in Times Squake grew noisier as the old year ticked away,and when midnight struck there was pandemonium.
The opposing knights,mounted and in full panoply,awaited the signal for the tournament to begin.
The top of the Empire State Building affords an excellent panorama of New York City and the surrounding area.
Not until THE GREAT DICTATOR did Charlie Chaplin play a speaking part. All his previous roles were in pantomime.
The Pan-American Highway links all of the countries of the Western Hemisphere rom Alaska to Chile.

Chron,Chrono---time

It is an anachronism to say that william Shakespeare “typed” his manuscripts.
One of the earliest accounts of King Arthur occurs in a 12th-century chronicle of the kings of Britain.
Bruce named all the Presidents,but he made an error in chronology when he placed Ulysses S.Grant after Abraham Lincoln,instead of after Andrew Johnson.
The magazines in this file are not in chronological order. I found the February issue after the October one.
The clocks in the library need to be synchronized; one is a minute and a half behind the other.
The millionaire who was caught shoplifting was found to be suffering from kleptomania.
For a student with an A average to quit school two months before graduation is sheer mania.
Though I am still fond of stamp collecting,I no longer have the mania for it that I originally had.
The deranged behavior of John’s brother leaves little doubt that he is a maniac.
The preson arrested for setting the fire had been suspected of pyromania on two previous occasions.
The customer protested in such a loud, violent,and maniacal manner that onlookers thought he had lost his sanity.

Ped---child

There are four different encyclopedias in the reference section of our school library.
Patients recovering from broken limbs are housed in the hopital’s orthopedic ward.
A new teacher usually receives a great deal of help from the more experienced pedagogues.
Mr.Brown’s lessons are usually excellent. He is a master of pedagogy.
When the baby developed a fever, Mother telephoned the pediatrician
From the number of baby carriages outside his office,you can tell that Dr.Enders specializes in pediatrics.

Ortho---correct

A student who wears braces on his teeth is obviously under the care of an orthodontist.
American and English orthography are very much alike.
A deformity of the spine is a condition that requires the attention of an orthopedist.
There ws no religious liberty in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Roger Williams,for example, was banished because he did not accept orthodox Puritan beliefs.
Vaccination was rejected as unorthodox when Dr. Jenner first suggested it.

Gen, Gena---race

Diana can trace her descent from an ancestor who fought in the Civil War. I know much less about my own genealogy.
According to legend,the Trojan War had its genesis in a dispute between three Greek goddesses.
If dairies did not homogenize milk,the cream would be concentrated at the top instead of being evenly distributed.
Many different racial and cultural groups are to be found in the heterogeneous population of a large city.
The dancers for the ballet were selected for similarity of height and build so that they might present a homogeneous appearance.
描述
快速回复

按"Ctrl+Enter"直接提交