2006年06月09日:[Food] A Taste of Greece (1) [广播时间2006.05.05] [6楼]
2006年06月10日:[Food] A Taste of Greece (2) [广播时间2006.05.06] [7楼]
水中的影,镜中的天
级别: 管理员
显示用户信息 
1  发表于: 2006-05-09   
2006年5月1日
Father Knows Best?

Eric knows his dad means well, but he doesn't agree with his advice. Should he do what his dad says anyway?

May 1

【Text】

Eric graduated from university last summer with a degree in marketing. He now has an entry-level marketing job. He works hard and enjoys his job. He also loves his part-time "job." On Saturdays he volunteers as a baseball coach for orphans.

Eric really enjoys his volunteer work. He knows the kids need good role models. He loves making a difference in their lives.

But Eric's parents think he should stop volunteering. "Why don't you put in some overtime at work instead?" his dad says. "You'd get more experience and could earn a promotion faster."

If you were Eric, what would you do?

Decision 1

(Eric talks to his friend Becky, who also volunteers with the orphans.)

Becky: So your dad thinks volunteering is a waste of time?

Eric: Not really. He just want me to focus on my career first.

Becky: Do you agree with him?

Eric: Well, I do want to get ahead in my career.

Becky: But do you need to give up all your personal activities to do that?

Eric: Dad thinks I need to pay my dues now. Once I'm established in my career, then I can have more of a personal life.

Becky: Do you think he's right?

Eric: I guess he has a point. I don't want to be in an entry-level job forever. I'll give up volunteering for now.

【Word Bank】

role model (n.)
模范
My teacher is my role model. I really admire her and want to be like her.

promotion (n.)
晋升;升迁
Mandy just got a promotion. Now she's a manager in the company!

get ahead (idiom)
有进展;获得成功
Ben works really hard every day to get ahead in his job.

establish (v.)
得到肯定;建立
After Time established his career, he decided to buy a house and car.

【More Information】

entry-level (adj.)
基层的;初阶的
The only jobs Susan could find were entry-level positions. She couldn't find any management positions.

pay one's dues (idiom)
付出代价;付出努力
Allie paid her dues working as a waitress for a year before she finally got the job she wanted.

【译文】

老爸说得对?

艾瑞克知道爸爸是一片好意,但是他不赞同他的建议。他是否应该照爸爸吩咐的去做?

May 1

艾瑞克去年夏天大学毕业,获得行销学学位,现在担任一份基层的行销职务。他上班时勤奋努力,也乐在其中。他也热爱他的兼任「差事」。星期六时,他免费为孤儿担任棒球教练。

艾瑞克十分喜欢他的志工工作。他知道孩子们需要优良模范,也乐于为孩子们的生命带来正面影响。

但是艾瑞克的父母亲认为他应该停止当志工。「你何不改为在工作上多加点班呢?」他爸爸说,「你会获取更多经验,也可以晋升得更快啊。」

如果你是艾瑞克,你会怎么做?

抉择一

(艾瑞克跟贝琪谈这件事。贝琪也担任志工为孤儿服务)

贝琪:所以你爸觉得做志工是浪费时间吗?

艾瑞克:也不见得啦。他只是希望我能先专注在自己的事业上。

贝琪:你同意他的看法吗?

艾瑞克:嗯,我确实想要在工作上有所进展。

贝琪:但是你必须放弃所有的私人活动来达到这个目标吗?

艾瑞克:我爸认为我现在应该付出努力。一旦我在职场上有了成就,就可以有更多的私人生活了。

贝琪:你觉得他对吗?

艾瑞克:我猜他确实说到重点。我不想永远只是个基层员工。我暂时先放弃志工工作好了。
水中的影,镜中的天
级别: 新手上路
显示用户信息 
2  发表于: 2006-05-29   
水姐你好,感激你一直以来的努力,请问4月的笔记在哪里,我找不到哇
级别: 新手上路
显示用户信息 
3  发表于: 2006-05-31   
哈哈 ^_^有斑竹姐姐的努力 我也一定要坚持啊 !
显示用户信息 
4  发表于: 2006-06-08   
2006年5月2日
May 2

【text】

Decision 2

Becky: So your parents feel pretty strongly that you should stop coaching?

Eric: Yes. I wish they'd stop telling me what to do. I'm 23. They need to stop treating me like a kid.

Becky: Yeah. I understand how you feel.

Eric: I know my parents have sacrificed a lot for me and taught me a lot. But now that I'm an adult, I need to make my own decision.

Becky: I agree. But won't your dad upset if you don't listen to him?

Eric: Not if he doesn't know. From now on, I'll keep him in the dark about my volunteering. I'll just tell him I'm spending my Saturdays at the office.

Decision 3

(Eric talks to his dad)

Eric: Dad, I am tring to do well at work and get established. But I really want to help these kids.

Dad: Other people can help them.

Eric: The sports program never has enough volunteers. These orphans are growing up with no one to look up to and no one who cares about them.

Dad: I see.

Eric: Dad, I respect your opinion, and I do want to do my best at work. If you have any other career tips for me, I'd love to hear them.

Dad: Well, if I can't change your mind... let's talk about your networking skills.

Eric: Thanks, Dad.

【Word Bank】

sacrifice (v.)
牺牲
Shelly sacrificed her career to start a family.

keep someone in the dark (idiom)
不让某人知道
I think you should tell Tom what you're planning. Don't keep him in the dark.

look up to someone (idiom)
尊敬某人
You should set a goodexample for your little brother. He really looks up to you.

network (v.)
沟通互动
Howard is very good at networking with people. He's talked to almost everyone at this party.

【译文】

抉择二

贝琪:那么你父母坚决认为你应该停止当教练罗?

艾瑞克:对啊。我真希望他们能不要再指使我该做什么事了。我二十三岁了耶,他们不能再把我当小孩子看。

贝琪:是啊,我了解你的感受。

艾瑞克:我知道父母为了我牺牲很多,也教我很多事。不过我现在是成年人了,我需要为自己做决定。

贝琪:我同意。但是你如果不听你爸的话,他不会很难过吗?

艾瑞克:如果他不知道的话,他就不会难过了。从现在开始,我不会让他知道我的志工工作。我只会告诉他我把星期六花在办公上。

抉择三

(艾瑞克跟爸爸谈话)

艾瑞克:爸,我确实在试着把工作做好,让自己有成就。可是我真的很想帮助这些孩子。

爸爸:有其他人可以帮他们啊。

艾瑞克:运动计划一向没有足够的志工。这些孤儿一天一天长大,但是没有人可以成为他们尊敬的模范,而且没有人关心他们。

爸爸:我了解了。

艾瑞克:爸,我尊重你的意见,而且我也想要在工作上全力以赴。如果你还有其他善于职场生活的秘诀,我很愿意听听你的忠告。

爸爸:嗯,如果我没办法改变你的心意的话……那我们来谈谈与别人沟通互动的技巧好了。

艾瑞克:多谢罗,老爸。
水中的影,镜中的天
显示用户信息 
5  发表于: 2006-06-08   
2006年5月3日
May 3

【text】

Cute Cartoons Mean Big Business

People are spending billion of dollars to buy products featuring their favorite cartoon characters

May 3

They're everywhere. They're on scooters, purses, clothing, cell phones and even DVD players. People just can't seem to get enough of their favorite cartoon characters.

In 2004, sales of licensed products around the world totaled US$108.3 billion. A large part of this money came from products featuring animated characters. Hello Kitty and Snoopy products both make more than US$1 billion each year. Beloved characters like these have become much more than just cute cartoons. They have been transformed into money-making giants.

Why cartoons?

What is the consumer appeal of these animated characters? "People think the cartoons are like themselved," says Evrita Wang, a student at National Kaohsiung University.

Douglas Holt, a product researcher, agrees. Holt says people express their identities with the products they use and wear. Some cartoon characters represent specific qualities. These qualities come from a story or idea attached to the character. For example, people believe Astro Boy, a classic Japanese animated character, represents bravery and kindness. Consumers are attracted to these qualities.

【Word Bank】

animated (adj.)
动画的;卡通电影的
My son really likes to watch the animated movie Finding Nemo.

transform (v.)
转换;改变
Tom transformed his appearance with just a haircut and some new clothes.

consumer (n.)
消费者
Paula is a careful consumer. She always researches the products before she buys them.

bravery (n.)
勇敢;勇气
Bruce showed much bravery when he saved the little boy from the burning building.

【More Information】

licensed product (n.)
授权商品
This movie's licensed products made more money than the movie itself.

【译文】

招财进宝的卡通人物

人们花费数十亿美元购买喜爱的卡通人物周边商品

May 3

他们到处都是,出现在机车、手提包、衣服、手机、甚至光碟机上。人们对自己喜爱的卡通人物似乎永不嫌多。

二○○四年全世界授权商品的销售额达到一千零八十三亿美元。这个金额的大部分来自以卡通电影人物为主题的商品。凯蒂猫和史努比商品每年创造了十亿美元以上的销售额。像他们这样备受喜爱的角色早就远远不只是可爱的卡通人物,而已摇身一变成了摇钱树。

为何喜欢卡通人物?

这些卡通人物吸引消费者之处为何?高雄师范大学的学生王怡闵认为:「人们觉得那些卡通人物就像他们自己。」

商品研究员道格拉斯·何物同意这个说法。何特认为,人们穿的和用的商品表现他们的个性。有些卡通人物代表了独有的特质,这些特质由加诸在这个角色身上的一个故事或是观念而来。例如,人们相信日本经典卡通人物原子小金刚代表勇敢和仁慈。消费者被这些特质所吸引。
水中的影,镜中的天
显示用户信息 
6  发表于: 2006-06-09   
2006年5月4日
May 4

【Text】

For all ages

Children aren't the only enthusiastic consumers. For many adults, owning cartoon products is a chance to show that they are young at heart. The Japanese character Doraemon has childlike humor, but his innocence has gained popularity with people of all ages.

Owning products with animated characters can also be a statement of personal history. The characters remind adults of their childhood. Adults who grew up loving characters like Mickey Mouse and Snoopy want the world to know it.

Mysteriously cute

Most cartoon products have films or TV series to support their success. One outstanding exception is Hello Kitty. The cat's popularity has continued without the help of media. Sanrio, the compary that owns Hello Kitty, keeps her personality vague. This mystery helps the compary sell mroe than 20,000 different Hello Kitty products.

Even though Hello Kitty's personality is a mystery, her cuteness is not. There may be many reasons why people love cartoon products. But the biggest reason is simple: They're just so cute!

【Word Bank】

young at heart (adj.)
童心未泯的
Christy is still young at heart. She is 31 years old, but she still loves watching cartoons.

innocence (n.)
纯真
This store is open every day. Christmas and New Year are the only exceptions.

vague (adj.)
含糊的;模糊的
The end of that movie is too vague! I don't understand what happened.

【译文】

老少咸宜

孩童不是唯一热衷的消费者。对许多大人而言,拥有卡通商品是一个宣示他们童心未泯的机会。日本卡通人物哆啦A梦有童稚般的幽默,而他的纯真获得各年龄层的人一致的喜爱。

拥有卡通人物商品也可以是个人历史的陈述。卡通人物让成年人回想起他们的童年。童年时喜欢米老鼠及史努比等卡通人物的成人想让大家都知道这件事。

谜样地可爱

大部分的卡通商品有电影或是电视影集做他们成功的后盾,但凯蒂猫却是一个特例。这只猫受欢迎的程度在没有媒体协助下仍旧持续不坠。拥有凯蒂猫的三丽鸥公司让她的个性模糊不清,而这种神秘感让该公司销售出两万多种不同的凯蒂猫产品。

虽然凯蒂猫的个性是个谜,但她的可爱却是真的。人们喜爱卡通商品的原因可能很多,但最大的原因却很简单:他们真的好可爱!
水中的影,镜中的天
显示用户信息 
7  发表于: 2006-06-09   
2006年5月5日
May 5

A Taste of Greece

Come along on a delicious tour of Greek cuisine

May 5

I've long dreamed of visiting the Greek Islands. I can picture myself relaxing outside the white stucco walls of a Greek cafe, gazing at the blue waters of the Aegean Sea. But so far, time and finances have kept my dream from becoming reality.

Not to be discouraged, I decided to find my own little patch of the Greek Islands right here in Taipei. On a recent day of cool, sunny, Mediterranean-like weather, I made my way to a local Greek restaurant.

The decor wonderfully re-created the relaxed atmosphere of the islands. With its white walls and bright blue windows, the restaurant looks as though it belonged on the famous island of Mydonos.

But the best part of the experience wasn't the decor; it was the food. I began my meal with a cucculent Greek salad. It was an appetizing mix of Mediterranean vagetables, including olives, tomatoes, onions and cucumbers. Topping it all was savory feta cheese. Feta, made from goat's milk, is Greece's most distinctive cheese.

【Word Bank】

finances (n.pl)
财务状况;资金
Bob has problems managing his finances. He spends more money than he earns.

patch (n.)
园地;小块土地
Susan grows vegetables on a small patch of land next to her house.

appetizing (adj.)
开胃的
This fried nice was so appetizing I ate three large servings.

savory (adj.)
味道浓烈的;很有味道的
This lamb dish was so savory, I didn't need to add any more spices.

【More Information】

stucco (n.)
灰泥
Stucco walls are common in Mediterranean architecture.

【译文】

品味希腊

一同来展开一场华丽的希腊美食探险

May 5

长久以来我就梦想着造访希腊群岛。我能相像自己在一座希腊小餐馆的白色灰泥墙外惬意松弛,凝视着爱琴海的澄蓝海水。但是到目前为止,时间与财务状况一直无法让我美梦成真。

我拒绝气馁,决定就在台北当地寻找自己的一方希腊小岛。在最近一个凉爽、晴朗、仿佛是地中海天候的日子里,我来到一家本地的希腊餐厅。

餐厅的装饰格调重现了群岛的休闲气氛。它的白色墙壁和鲜蓝色窗户让餐厅看起来像是著名的米克诺斯岛的一部分。但是这次经验最精采的部分并非餐厅陈设,而是食物。我这次美食探险以一碗美味多汁的希腊沙拉开场。它是一分开胃的地中海时蔬组合,包括橄榄、番茄、洋葱和黄瓜。点缀在这些美味蔬菜最上头的是味道浓烈的菲塔起司(泽注:一种白色软乳酪)。菲塔用羊奶制成,是希腊最具特色的起司。
水中的影,镜中的天
显示用户信息 
8  发表于: 2006-06-10   
2006年5月6日
May 6

【Text】

Next, I tried the famous Greek appetizer tzatziki. This creamy dip conbines goat's milk yogurt with cucumber and garlic. Following the Greek custom, I took a piece of thick pita bread and dipped it in my tzatziki. To my delight, this dip was as cool and refreshing as a Mediterranean breeze.

It should be no surprise that Greek cuisine includes plenty of fresh seafood. I ordered mussels cooked in white wine. Fresh lemon juice added a pleasantly sour flavor to this dish.

Next up was moussaka, and eggplant sasserole topped with feta cheese. The casserole had a complex flavor: creamy, spicy and slightly sweet.

Of course I couldn't leave the cafe without first tasting Greece's world-famous gyro. This delicious dish contains roasted lamb and tzatziki on a fresh pita. I tried mine, and the savory taste of the lamb complemented the cool tzatziki perfectly.

I enjoyed my taste of Greece. But I really hope my next Greek meal with be on the shores on the Aegean Sea!

【Word Bank】

yogurt (n.)
优酪乳;优格
Americans use cow's milk to make yogurt, but Greeks use goat or sheep's milk.

mussel (n.)
淡菜
One famous dish from this seaside town is baked mussels.

eggplant (n.)
茄子
The eggplant's purple color makes it the most attractive of the garden vegetables.

roast (v.)

They roasted the pork on an open fire.

【More Information】

pita (n.)
圆面饼;口袋饼
Claire made a sandwich with chicken and pita bread.

casserole (n.)
焗烤料理
Country-style cooking in the U.S. is known for its delicious casseroles.

【译文】

接着我品尝了著名的希腊开胃菜,黄瓜酸奶沙拉。这种浓稠的沾酱结合了羊奶优格、黄瓜和大蒜。我遵照希腊习俗,剥下一片厚厚的圆面饼,沾着黄瓜酸奶沙拉一同享用。我欣喜地发现这份沾酱就如地中海和风那样凉爽提神。

希腊菜包含了丰富的新鲜海产是意料中事。我点了白酒淡菜。新鲜的柠檬汁为这份菜加入些许令人欢悦的酸味。

接着是羊肉派,一道上头铺着菲塔起司的茄子焗烤料理。这道焗烤料理有着错综复杂的风味:浓稠、辛辣和微甜。

离开餐厅前,我当然不能不尝尝希腊闻名全球的羊肉卷。这道美味的菜肴包含了放在新鲜圆面饼上的烤羊肉和黄瓜酸奶沙拉。我试了我的这一份,羊肉的辛辣和黄瓜酸奶沙拉的爽口搭配得恰到好处。

品尝希腊料理确实让我乐在其中,但是我希望我的下一道希腊菜能在爱琴海的海滨享用!
水中的影,镜中的天
描述
快速回复

按"Ctrl+Enter"直接提交